Chapter 39: Peach's Messenger

Li Wei and Li Zhilan's friendship bloomed like a budding flower in the spring rain. Over the next few weeks, they spent more time together. Li Wei came to know more about Li Zhilan and even started talking to her uncle and aunt whom she wasn't close with.

Everything was going well, but Li Wei began to be restless with each passing day. Khan Bojing hadn't return as he promised.

In the evening, Li Wei snuck out to the Cherry Teahouse. It was almost like a storage box for gossips to pass from one person to the next. She wanted to check if she could obtain any information related to him.

She was just a couple steps from the entrance of the Cherry Teahouse when an unfamiliar voice called out. "Li Wei, is that you?"

A man dressed in a silver armor with arrows on his back walked up to her. He had grown tall, muscular, and now carried a strong aura around him. He couldn't be mistaken for anyone else. Li Wei knew who he was at one glance. "Gu Guangli..."

Gu Guangli subsconciously smile before he could realize it. He hadn't expected her to still recognize him. He felt quite pleased. "Li Wei, you still remember me."

"Ah... I made a guess." She made up an excuse and pointed to his armor. Despite her calm attitude, she wanted to slip away. The entrance of the teahouse was right there, if she was fast...

"Li Wei, let's share a meal together." Before she could say no, he pulled her inside the Cherry Teahouse.

Gu Guangli couldn't stop staring at her even after they sat down. To think that they would meet again in Na'an after he searched for her for two years was almost like a joke. A cruel joke with a touch of sweetness-- reuniting where they first met.

No matter where he looked, his gaze found it way back to her. Li Wei had gotten even more beautiful. No doubts about it, she was the most attractive woman he had seen.

When they were children, he couldn't be close to her, but things have changed. Now with her just an arm's length away from him, he wanted to hold her in his arms.

The way Gu Guangli stared at her didn't go unnoticed, but Li Wei wasn't reacting because she didn't care enough. If he wasn't skilled in martial arts, she would've snuck off a while ago.

As he continued to watch her, she paid attention to the storyteller on the first floor in the center of the stage.

The storyteller tonight was an old man. He sat on the edge of the stage casually as his gaze quickly assessed the crowd. "Now, which stories do we want to hear tonight? Anything you wish to know. Na'an's royal family? The newest tea on the streets? Perhaps, our neighbor, Hai'an?"

Li Wei strongly wanted to pick the third option, but she didn't want to stand out. She quietly hoped someone would speak up.

"How about Hai'an's prince?" A young man seated close to the stage was the first to speak up. Perhaps because he was brave, he held up his cup of tea and even toasted the storyteller.

The storyteller smiled knowingly. The civilians of Na'an were often more interested in Hai'an than their own country. "Khan Bojing, the only son of Hai'an's emperor, is a man of mystery. Not one person in Hai'an knows how the prince looks like. Sure, he shows up here and there but doesn't dare show off his face."

"Perhaps he's insecure of his looks?" The young man suggested with a smirk, clearly he was confident of his own appearance.

"No, no no. To think so shallow is be considered a fool." The storyteller shook his head. "Think deeper, consider further. One, Khan Bojing is not real. His identity was created to scare off neighboring kingdoms. The emperor actually has no son. Two, Khan Bojing has a personal stand in. Who we see in public is actually not the real him, thus his face can't be seen. Or three, Khan Bojing simply doesn't want to be a prince and hides himself away."