38 | Like A Volcano

3708 words

"P-p-prin... Princess?" Savannah eventually got the word pushed past the shock that constricted her throat.

Justin looked at her strangely. Get a grip, Alpha! He spoke in her mind. Have you forgotten how to be polite?

Persia was eyeing her with a knowing smile on her elegant yet fierce countenance. "What's wrong, little Alpha? Got a bit of fairy dust stuck in your lungs?"

Savannah choked on her own saliva, swallowing thickly to clear her throat as a multitude of insulting words suddenly rose to her lips. "Very funny, Miss Vinlarhk Assassin!" She suddenly felt like smacking the lying shewolf, and lurched forward with her arms raised.

Her wrist was suddenly gripped by a vice, the strength of it arresting her in place. Her body jerked back and nearly fell against the tall and imposing figure of the man she was pointedly ignoring. Refusing to meet his eyes, she struggled against his grip and tried freeing her hand.

It was futile, the strength of her mate far exceeding her own in a way that only infuriated her more.

"That's not a very nice way to greet the Princess of Vinlarhk, is it?" His warm breath fanned her face, his scent enveloping her in a sea of uncertainty and doubts as his deep voice sucked her into a whirlpool of memories.

"Not very nice?" she finally turned to face him, ire boiling like lava in her blood. "I'll tell you what's not very nice." She nearly stumbled over her words as his hazel eyes collided with hers.

Wanting to scream and curse at him, she suddenly felt the fire turn into something different the longer he held her trapped by his gaze. Her heart, like a rebellious young wolf who never listened to its sensible parents, was telling her to throw herself at him and crush her lips against the soft hardness she knew his would feel like.

When he lifted a brow in question, urging her to continue, she pushed down the desirous thoughts and tried to remember just why she despised him so much. "What's not very nice is you coming to my territory and blackmailing me for the express purpose of using me," she hissed in a deadly quiet voice. "You only cared that I was an Alpha so you could extort me for your own hidden agenda. You—"

Savannah! Justin's frantic voice entered her mind. Lord Alistair...

The name was enough to snap her from the red haze that had consumed her. Stepping back, she felt him instantly release her hand. A bereft touch of coldness lingered on her wrist, and she tore her eyes from Zion's just in time to see the Council lord approaching them with a sly smile on his placid expression.

Her heart that was galloping like a wild herd of antelope stuttered and nearly derailed like a driverless train into a bottomless canyon. Could her night get any worse?

"Your Highness, how fortunate we are to have you here," Lord Alistair bowed his head in honour to Persia. "May God bless you for your kindness."

The royal shewolf nodded in acceptance of his respect. "Don't thank me too soon," she lifted her chin. "We have yet to sign the treaty."

"What treaty?" Savannah blurted, eyes darting back and forth between the two.

Alistair turned to her as if only just realising her presence. "Ah, my dear Savannah."

She felt Zion stiffen at Alistair's endearing tone, and smiled inwardly. What she would give to see her mate teach the presumptuous Lord Alistair a thing or two about personal boundaries and what happens when one crosses them.

"It is my great pleasure to introduce you to the Princess of Vinlarhk," Lord Alistair continued. "She is here on behalf of Queen Safiya to discuss the conditions of the treaty we have been negotiating for months now. God willing, we will soon have a trade deal in place for generations to come."