15 | An Unbreakable Bond

Song above is 'I won't look back' by Matthew Parker.
Has a really cool vibe, great for playing basketball 😉

4535 words

The sky rumbled with distant thunder, but it was a whisper compared to the growl in Zion's chest.

He glared at his little mate, making her squirm while the other rogues snickered at their interaction.

Savannah pretended to ignore him and instead cast her eyes to the eastern horizon where a haze of grey was slowly ascending.

"Okay, people. Get into position," Chayton called out and the wolves arranged themselves on the half court. Tall wired fences ringed the court, ensuring the ball wouldn't bounce to the nearby streets or suburban backyards.

The ball was thrown upwards, and Zion and Niko both leapt for it. Zion was faster, and knocked the ball towards Savannah with lightning dexterity. She caught it, zig zagged her way through the wolves defending the basket, and managed to position herself close enough to make a clean shot. Talei leapt in her way, but was too slow and groaned with failure when the ball cleared her outstretched arms and dropped through the net.

Zion sent Savannah a wink, causing her face to flush with pride and her insides to quiver like jelly.

"We were going easy," Niko chuckled.

"Just warming up, weren't we?" Talei threw to the others as they all kept changing places around Savannah. They swarmed like excited pups, never staying in one place, making her dizzy just by their erratic movements.

When the ball was tossed, she leapt for it but Willow was already there. Taller than the Alpha and boasting larger muscle mass, the rogue wouldn't let her have it this time. She tossed the ball to Niko who spun around Zion, cackling with energy before passing it to Cale. For a moment, the Gamma was unsure, hesitating as he worked to play on the same side as rogues. In that moment, Zion leapt with agility that surprised even the Alpha and slapped it from his hands.

But Phoenix was right there, having played with Zion countless times and knowing his moves better than anyone. He anticipated Zion's duck and weave, instead angling his body in Zion's path and blocking his forward movement.

What he hadn't counted on was Savannah being right behind him. Zion tracked her position, and passed the ball on the right when Phoenix feinted left. Savannah caught the ball and quickly spun away from Chayton who leapt for her. Crouching, she used her smaller size to her advantage and evaded all their attempts at knocking the ball from her. With razor sharp claws, she kept a hold on it until Niko, Chayton, and Willow got in her face and barricaded her miles away from the basket.

But she knew Zion was in position. The awareness of her mate was unceasing, his scent the strongest of anyone's on the court, the bond that was barely formed vibrating between them and giving her a sense of him at all times. She threw the ball despite her line of sight being blocked, and knew he would catch it. As lightning streaked the eastern sky, she watched over Niko's height as her mate leapt up and snatched the ball from the air, landing heavily. But not before he'd used his upwards motion to continue propelling the ball towards the basket.

It sunk with a snapping of the net, thunder crashing closer and echoing her cheer as her mate turned and gave her a pleased smile that creased his handsome face. His teeth were bright in the darkening light, the shadows casting his face in sharp relief and highlighting the strong cut of his jaw and smooth cheek bones.

He laughed at something Phoenix said, and casually raked his fringe back with his hand. The movement was innocent enough, but it caught Savannah's breath in her throat as she watched the flexing of his biceps, the supple grace of his strong hands, the silken curling of his hair as it slipped through his fingers. His golden skin glistened with sweat, showing the contours of his rock hard muscles that wrapped his body in dominant strength.