55 | Carry On The Tradition

2690 words

"Don't step in the gutter. Dad will have your head if you break it," Savannah warned as she hauled herself over the metal lip.

"Got it," Zion grunted as he followed her.

"Watch out for that tile; it's a bit loose."

"Okay, thanks."

"And beware of that section...we had to repair it a few weeks ago after a storm and if you fall through the weak spot, you'll end up in Isaiah's bed."

"I think I know how to climb over a roof, Savannah. Or do you forget who I am?"

The Alpha looked over her shoulder and found a devilish smirk on her mate's face. There was no forgetting Zion used to be the cunning and devious Silver Rogue, known nationwide for his bold invasions, daring escapes and the destruction left in his wake. He probably knew how to scale the steepest, most slippery roofs better than even the most skilled border guards.

"I just don't want you breaking your neck. Forgive me for being over-protective," she retorted, turning her eyes back to the sloping tiles beneath her feet, hoping he hadn't seen the way her gaze raked over his shirtless torso. The silver of the moonlight highlighted the broad width of his shoulders, the smooth planes of his chest, and perfectly shadowed the valleys of his defined muscles. 

Heat crept up her neck and engulfed her face as she thought of all her desires soon coming true. Nothing stood between them and finally completing their mate bond. They'd accepted each other, marked each other, and Zion had agreed to join her pack and walk on the straight and narrow as a law-abiding citizen. He was now the best thing in her future, and she couldn't wait to begin a family with him and be each other's soulmate for the rest of their lives.

The sudden warmth of his touch nearly sent her toppling over the edge of the roof, but his hand slid lightning quick from the small of her back to around her waist, steadying her and pulling her close. He sat down heavily on a relatively flat section of the roof, and situated her on his lap.

Savannah instinctively squirmed, feeling momentarily caged. The slope was steep, and she felt at any moment that she might overbalance and slide off. The independent Alpha was used to standing on her own, looking after herself, and keeping herself safe in every situation.

"Shh, just let me hold you. I've got you," Zion whispered in her ear, sensing her unease as if he could read her mind.

Perhaps now he can, Savannah wondered, turning to face him. The moon reflected in his dark pupils, lighting up his eyes like a starlit sky. She finally relented to his firm embrace, relaxing as his arms kept her firmly secure. The strength of his body as he held her close, the warmth, and woodsy scent of cypress enveloping her eased the tension from her body, and she leaned back to nestle against his chest.

"You're thinking about me, aren't you?" he asked quietly, his voice rumbling through her entire body and sending shivers over her skin.

"No, I'm thinking about Jus--"

Zion's arm tightened around her waist while one of his hands covered her mouth. "Don't you dare say his name, you understand me?"

This time, the low timbre of his voice mixed with a deadly growl, and Savannah felt her wolf whining in submission to her mate's undeniable authority.

Only when she nodded did he remove his hand. "I was only joking, you know," she chuckled, rolling her eyes at his reaction.

The tension in his jaw didn't go away, so she tried again. "Of course I was thinking about you. How can I think of anything else when your scent fills every breath, the sound of your heartbeat fills my ears, and your presence invades my soul even when I can't feel your touch?" Lifting both hands to rest on either side of his face, she drew his gaze down until he couldn't look away. "Zion, you are my everything now, and no one could take your place as the other half of my heart."