41 | Aching So Bad

1931 words

"What photos?" Justin, having heard nothing about the compromising pictures, was curious as expected.

"Did you really have to bring that up now?" Savannah hissed at her Gamma, beyond annoyed at his perfect timing. Why did he have to blab about something she wished could stay dead and buried?

"I just think it's important, and we should factor it into our plans," Cale said calmly while watching her pace the office. It was well beyond midnight, almost morning, but the crisis at the Alpha conference of Lord Alistair's death had thrown everyone out of their comfortable routines.

Justin, even more tense and keyed up than his Alpha, asked again, "What are these photos? Why are they important?"

Savannah sighed before turning to Justin. "Just some grainy images of me and Zion that were somehow sent to Alistair. If anyone else sees them, they might recognise Zion and put us all in danger." While it wasn't the complete truth, it would do for now. She hated having something to hide, but she wasn't yet ready for her family to find out how far she'd fallen while chasing her rogue mate across the countryside. She wasn't proud of her actions, and wished she could take them back.

Justin studied her for a moment, and she hoped he didn't notice the blush creeping up her neck. If he ever saw those photos, he'd be shocked, aghast, angry and disappointed in her all at once, and probably never speak to her again.

And she'd deserve it.

"The point is," she hurried on quickly, before Justin could push any further. Thinking fast, she had to figure out a way to minimise the risk of the photos leaking, for her sake and Zion's. "We can deal with it later. Right now, we all need some sleep and then in the morning we can visit Pierce and go from there. Got it?" She fixed her command with her most authoritative look.

They all nodded solemnly, Emerald pursing her lips as she tilted her head to study her older sister closely. It was as if she could see through the veil in her words. Because truth was, sleep was the furthest thing from her mind.

Savannah couldn't help planning how to delete the copies of those images. Ideas formed in her mind as quickly as she dismissed them. A few times her eyes collided with Cale or Phoenix's, a funny look passing between them.

Cale, meet me out back, she linked her Gamma.

"What is it?" he asked once they'd stepped outside, standing on the back porch. He crossed his arms against the brisk air that greeted them. It would be a while before the sun rose and warmed the cool earth.

"I have an idea."

"But you just said--"

"Forget what I said," she waved his objections aside with a flick of her hand. She needed to speak with one of the few who knew the significance of her dilemma. He and Phoenix understood how much those photos needed to be erased. "Do you think there's a way we can get into Alistair's personal office, find his phone or laptop and search his files?"

Cale sucked in a breath harshly before releasing it on a long sigh. "That's risky."

"It could be as part of the investigation into his murder. We could ask Elder Truett for access to his office to look for evidence of death threats or anything else sus."

"They have official investigators looking into it," Cale pointed out bluntly, beginning to pace the length of the porch, keeping his steps light and his voice even quieter.

"I know. But seeing as we know more about the Silver Rogue, we're in a good position to help with the investigation." Savannah felt a glimmer of hope rise in her chest, whereas all night her insides had been twisted with turmoil and desperation. Not only was Zion on the run, Alistair dead, and her heart in tatters, but now her reputation was on the line and her pack would surely be taken off her if anyone found out just how closely she'd been willingly associating with the worst rogues on the continent. No matter how hard she tried, she could never justify her actions.