2 | Impervious

2712 words

As though zapped by a current of electricity, Savannah's arms sprang forward and clutched the rogue's shirt, pulling him closer.

Her lips moved against his with a mind of their own, relishing the feel of softness and rugged taste of his mouth, something she had entirely never been expecting. But a hand soon yanked her away, making her stumble and fall backwards to the ground.

"That's enough, Alpha. You can kill him now," Cale spoke roughly. His words barely registered in her mind, the ecstatic feelings still coursing through her body from the kiss.

From the kiss of her mate!

All of a sudden she wanted to strangle her Gamma for interrupting the momentous occasion, but she knew he was just looking out for her.

"No, Cale! He's... he's my— he's my m— ma—"

"Mate? Is that the word you can't get out, little Alpha?" The rogue teased, but she could see the kiss had shaken him just as much as it had her.

She could hear his heart beating just as rapidly. And his scent... his scent and the reaction it had caused on her wolf finally made sense. The sweet and tropical scent laced the majestic rogue beneath layers of filth and grime. Despite obviously not bathing in weeks, he smelt so good to Savannah, and she suddenly wanted to puke.

Her mate was a rogue?!

"Did he just say mate?" Cale looked aghast and flitted his gaze between his Alpha, the rogue in chains, then back to Savannah again.

"Yes, he's my mate." The words came out from Savannah's lips rather proudly, causing her to wonder why she felt a twinge of happiness at that fact. Despite the obvious disgust of this male wolf being a rogue, he was extremely handsome and she could feel his magnetic power as it lured her in, calming while exciting her at the same time.

Even her wolf was purring, and Savannah just knew that no matter his background or present circumstance, she wanted to be with this wolf. It was insanity, but didn't her dad always say Love was a dangerous passion? Didn't he always drill into them from when she and her siblings were pups that mates made you stronger, that the bond was worth everything to fight for? She had laughed and thought her parents were exaggerating, but if this feeling was only a fraction of what the mate bond really could be, she'd fight for it with her every breath.

"So...you're not going to kill him?" Cale persisted, his tone of voice starting to annoy Savannah. He wanted to hurt her mate, and she would have none of it.

"Of course not!" she growled, casting angry eyes to her Gamma. "He's my mate, for goodness sake. And he has the cure for Justin. Would I be so stupid as to let my him die?" Sudden feelings of possessiveness rocked her, and she gasped at the intensity of this new connection that rolled through her body like storm-tossed waves.

"He could be lying. He is a rogue, after all."

At Cale's accusation, the rogue bristled and bared his teeth. "I give you my word. I can help him."

"Then hand it over." Savannah wiggled her fingers, motioning for this antivenom as he called it. Even though he affected her so deeply, she could still remain alert and calculating, keeping her Beta's safety her first priority.

"Not without getting what I want from the trade."

Savannah couldn't help the huff as she rolled her eyes. "But we already made a deal. I kissed you, so it's your turn to pay up."

"I agreed on just a kiss, then you could kill me." The rogue's hazel and gold eyes watched her with a trace of humor, as if he was daring her to still continue with her initial plans.