29 | Honest Work - Part 1

4450 words

The trip back to the city passed quickly.

After running for a couple hours around the edge of the forest, they reached their car and all piled in. Most of the gang slept in the back while Zion drove. Chayton had wordlessly taken the front passenger seat, ignoring the glare Savannah gave him.

But later, as Cale rested with his head on her shoulder, she figured it was for the best. Sitting up front with Zion as they drove in an awkward silence was not her idea of a good afternoon. They'd barely spoken all morning, and Savannah felt bad for pushing Zion away last night. He'd done nothing but treat her with care and respect the last few days, and she just didn't know how to reconcile that with all the doubts and misgivings she still felt towards him.

And, if she really dug deep and examined her feelings, she realised she was afraid of having her heart broken if Zion never decided to join her pack. She just couldn't handle growing too close, losing herself to him, only to walk away if he never decided to change.

It was apparent Zion had a habit of tearing out hearts, so she decided the best course of action was to not be foolish enough to let him rip out hers.

She was an Alpha first and foremost, with a pack and dozens of lives under her responsibility.

And Zion was very, very clearly a rogue.

Their first move after reaching his city house was to go rob a bank.

"You're kidding?"

"Do we look like we're kidding?" Phoenix asked, strapping a belt around his waist, silver knives and a couple grenades attached.

"Don't you realise robbing a back is the most stereotypical, unimaginative crime to commit? It's like you guys have to prove daily that you're rogues," Savannah crossed her arms and glared at everyone as they rushed around, readying themselves to go. All she wanted to do was take a hot shower and sleep for a week.

"Nope. We're just low on funds," Talei shrugged, pouting her lips as she touched up her black lipstick, then shoving the tube and mirror in her bomber jacket pocket.

"And technically, we're not robbing," Niko said. "The CFO, executive board, and HR department are all at a gala lunch across the city now. We're putting no lives at risk or threatening anyone."

"We'll be in and out in under thirty minutes," Zion added with a rather proud smirk, his expression disturbingly relaxed for someone about to infiltrate a corporate building and steal millions of dollars.

"And technically technically," Talei raised her eyebrows as though explaining algebra to a first grader. "It's not a bank. BrightFuture is a company that trades bonds and handles other investments for their clients. All we're doing is tapping into their servers for a few minutes to direct some of the funds into our own accounts."

"So.. you're stealing directly from their clients? Still sounds highly illegal to me," Savannah argued, clearly disapproving of their little venture.

Talei scoffed. "They're all a wealthy bunch of politicians and socialites who've never worked an honest day in their life anyway. They can afford to lose a few pennies, believe me."

"And if they catch you?" Savannah couldn't help growing more nervous with each device and gadget the guys packed into their backpacks. If it was such an easy job, why all the gear? And weapons?

Niko gave her a reassuring smile, "They'll never be able to trace it back to use. We'll be cutting all surveillance feeds, disarming the security system, and using private channels to gain access to their server."