42 | Once Upon A Time

My favourite song above, "Up All Night" by Owl City. I imagine this is almost how Justin feels for Savannah 😭😭💔
You can also feel Savannah's emotions regarding Zion, and how elusive and out of reach he is for her 💔
Either way I look at it, listening to this song always makes me cry 🥲🥲

4727 words

"Alpha! Tell us a story!" A little pup ran up to Savannah and tumbled down at her legs, rolling in the grass with excitement.

Savannah took a deep breath, tasting the smoke of burning pine on her tongue. The new moon was hidden in the sky, shedding no light onto her territory, so her wolves had built a large bonfire in the centre of town. Fire Nights were a regular event, a chance for the pack to come together and share food, music, and stories. There was always much laughter, time to unwind and thank their King for the blessings of the month, and of course welcoming new pack members.

The Alpha watched Phoenix playing a game of footy with the other young warriors and some excited teens, with Emerald cheering from the sidelines. She saw her parents chatting with Charles, Lexi, and a few older couples from their generation.

Even Caleb and Miranda were here, Kaiden's former head guard and his girlfriend. They'd had an on-again, off-again relationship for years, working through trust issues and previous relationships, but the couple had finally reached a point of commitment a few years ago. They were trying for their own pup, but had sadly miscarried a couple times. Savannah watched with empathy as Miranda cuddled Lexi's youngest child to her chest, a look of longing in her eyes.

"Come on, a story?" Daisy, the young pup who was begging for a story, looked up at Savannah with her beautiful brown eyes.

The Alpha's heart was a million miles away and her mind was drifting between memories and future dreams, but how could she say no? "Okay." Standing from the log seat, she brushed off the back of her pants then clapped her hands together. She used to love telling stories around the bonfire at Fire Nights. How many times had she, her siblings, and friends acted out plays and dramas for their pack members? Telling stories was in her veins, so it should be no surprise her own life had turned into such an epic tragedy.

"Once upon a time, there was a mighty Alpha who ruled over all the southern continent," she began, drawing everyone's attention. Standing taller under the weight of her pack's eyes, she continued, "Everyone loved and respected him for his wisdom and knowledge. Then, one terrible night," her tone took a dark turn, her voice growing husky with intrigue, "the powerful Alpha was ambushed by the deadliest rogue on earth, and was shot point-blank in the chest."

Everyone gasped in such a predictable way that Savannah couldn't help smiling dramatically. "All the pack wolves were shocked! Incensed with rage at the death of their leader, they launched the largest manhunt in wolf history. The lethal and elusive rogue was now on the run, while his mate was doomed to a life of despair." Savannah's voice rose, anguish filling her intense words. "And she withered away from heartbreak. The end!" Clapping her hands with flourish, Savannah bowed low and grinned crookedly at her listeners.

A little voice at her knees piped up, "That...wasn't a very happy ending," Daisy frowned, on the verge of tears.

"Well, my sweet cheeks," Savannah knelt down and patted Daisy's chubby face endearingly. "Life isn't always filled with happy endings, so get used to it." With that, she turned and stalked into the forest, hearing the distressed murmurings of everyone she left behind.

"Savannah!" her mother called her back, unmistakable reproach in her voice.

"I'll go talk to her," Justin offered before jogging towards the forest where his Alpha had escaped to.