9 | My Job Description

2763 words

There wasn't even a bruise. He really is invincible, Savannah groaned with defeat as she studied Zion's perfect nose.

"That isn't the way back to your place, you useless rogue," she said harshly when he turned to leave. Sighing and keeping worse words to herself, she quickly followed him down the darkened lane.

"And you would know?" Zion looked over his shoulder and raised an eyebrow at her.

"I remember exactly the way I came here. And this isn't it." Savannah pulled her jacket closer against the cool breeze that blew through the city, chasing away the rain clouds and cooling her clothes that were still damp from the rain. She shivered, paying for her moment of blissful freedom earlier.

"You mean you weren't just wandering aimlessly in your attempt to get away from me?"

Savannah rolled her eyes. "Now that would be a dumb thing to do, given I'm in a strange city. No, I didn't just wander aimlessly, as you give me credit for. I came down Bourke Street, took a left into Gingham, kept going past the shopping centre, then went down Samford Road. From there, I followed the Inner City Bypass until I got snatched while walking up Heartbreak hill. I knew exactly how to get back when I was calm and ready to face you again. Seems your friend Darek had other ideas."

Zion looked at her curiously for a moment, skepticism clear on his features. "You remember the route that well?"

She tossed her hair over one shoulder dramatically, only to have it blown back in her face by the persistent wind. "As an Alpha, I'm an expert at tracking and carefully noting my steps. I'm not just a pretty face." Brushing past him, she kept walking while he stood dumbfounded.

"That's not what I meant—"

She interrupted him, wanting to not read too much into his insult to her intelligence. "How'd you find me so quickly, anyway?"

For a brief moment, Zion pressed his lips shut like he wouldn't answer, but he eventually replied. His serious expression morphing into his signature casual smirk, "I tracked your scent, despite the rain washing most of it away. I'm not just a dumb rogue."

"I never called you dumb," Savannah retorted.

"But you were thinking it."

"Don't pretend to know what I'm thinking. Not until we're marked and mated, anyway." She couldn't resist giving him a wink.

Zion coughed, his steps faltering briefly. "Crack in the sidewalk. Be careful," he muttered, looking back at the path behind them.

"Uh huh. Sure. So...tell me about Darek. What was it he stole from you?" Savannah asked, smirking to herself at his flustered reaction to her blunt remark about their future together.

"That's none of your business," Zion said instantly, again taking the lead. The night was late, the sky glowing with only a few reflected city lights, and the traffic noise died down to a gentle murmur. He nonchalantly yet purposefully strode down the street, stirring curiosity in the young Alpha about where he was going.

"It is, because I think I did a pretty good job of interrogating him before you got there. I nearly had a deal all worked out," Savannah stated confidently.

"Oh really? Just was what it you were offering him?" he eyed her suspiciously.

"I said I'd help him find Persia in return for letting me go. Either that, or I was about to just bust my way out of there, Alpha wolf style," she shrugged. "But then you came along and ruined all my fun."

Zion shook his head and tsked. "Alphas. Always so cocky."

She chose to ignore his dig. "So who's Persia, anyway?"