56 | Our Brother

4394 words

Savannah wilted once the tension left the room with Justin.

"What you just did was pretty bold," Zion said, rubbing his hand up and down her back soothingly. He was surprised Savannah had just declared a pack holiday in his honour. Would all her pack members agree to accepting the gang of rogues so quickly? Was it really something they wanted to celebrate? Judging by the dark look on her Beta's face before he stormed out of the kitchen, there was bound to be more opposition ahead.

"And probably crazy. But Justin needs to know his place."

"You realise he's in love with you, right?"

She whirled around and stared up at Zion. "Love?" she squeaked.

"I figured it out the moment I met him. He was desperate to protect his Alpha. More loyal than any other Beta I've met. Before even seeing you, I guessed you were a pretty special shewolf. Now I realise you're even more amazing than I anticipated."

Savannah blushed, heat rising to her face from the intensity of Zion's words. Instead of answering, she wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his chest. Her mate held her tenderly, placing soft kisses on the top of her head. This kind of intimacy, more than anything, was what she craved. This deep understanding that now existed between them was growing stronger, and just being in his presence was enough to make her heart soar and mind relax with warmth and security.

"So you're the mean wolf who used to be the Silver Rogue?"

The high-pitched voice from behind her made Savannah smile. She turned to Kiana and opened her arms for her morning hug.

"You got that right, Kiddo. I was a rogue, but not anymore," Zion smiled at her, reaching out to tousle her already messy hair.

"How many times have I told you to comb your hair when you get up in the morning?" Savannah scolded while trying to pat down her little sister's long, unruly hair.

"Isaiah's taking three hours in the bathroom," Kiana explained, causing Savannah to roll her eyes. The teenage boy spent more time than anyone, meticulously combing his thick hair and shaving his chin every morning. He was completely opposite to Hunter in that regard.

"You don't look like a rogue," Kiana continued, focusing on Zion and looking him up and down.

Zion stood taller, pushing out his chest regally. "I should hope not. Your sister has made an honest man out of me."

Savannah raised a skeptical eyebrow as if to ask Do you even know what honest means?

Zion shrugged, his eyes twinkling in response.

"You're not even scary. I thought rogues were all big and scary, and covered in hair as long as a mammoth's so when they hide in the cold mountains, they don't freeze to death. Did you used to be scary? Cos I don't see it. I wouldn't ever feel scared of someone as happy and nice as you," Kiana rambled, barely taking a breath between sentences.

"Is that so?" Zion knelt down to her level, narrowing his eyes on her. His demeanor changed, and even Savannah felt a trickle of ice skate down her spine at the new aura Zion projected. "Didn't your parents tell you the stories about me?" Leaning closer, he lowered his voice, "Didn't they warn you to be afraid of the dangerous, and very, very scary Silver Rogue? Don't you know what wolves like me do to little shewolves on dark nights, during an awful storm, when the power goes out and everything is black? We sneak up to your house and--"

"And tell silly ghost stories!"

The front door burst open, emitting a young pup with hair in braids and leaves stuck to her boots.