36 | They Were For Real

2301 words

"Phoenix!" Emerald cried, throwing herself down at his side and putting her ear to his chest. "He's not breathing!"

Savannah stared in shock for a moment, as soon as Luna Ariella had touched him and his body convulsed in a seizure. Having no idea what just happened, her analytical mind soon pieced together the immediate facts: he wasn't moving, breathing, and she couldn't hear his heart beating.

He was dead to the world like the rogues she'd so often killed in her life as Alpha and protector of her territory.

But this one was different. This was her friend, her sister's mate, and a rogue who had grabbed his second chance with both hands no matter how much it cost him.

So without even thinking twice, she shoved past the young pups who had crowded close in panic, and knelt opposite her sister beside Phoenix. "Give us some room!" she ordered the gathering crowd, and watched from her periphery Alpha Malachi corralling everyone away from them. Extending her claws lightly, she tore through Phoenix's shirt and jacket to reveal his chest, then placed her hands over his sternum.

Every year at Alpha camp, she'd attended mandatory first aid training, refreshing the life-saving skills and learning up to date techniques in resuscitation and stabilization of injuries.

She'd hoped to never have to use it, but that if the time came, her reflexes would take over and recall exactly what to do.

That time was now.

As if she wasn't even aware of what she was doing, the Alpha compressed the lifeless chest over and over, keeping count in her head while Emerald clutched his hand desperately. His ribs cracked around the solid sternum, the grating sound of shattering bone giving way to soft squelches as the blood mixed with spongy tissue.

She was aware of Ariella whispering something over and over, probably praying to their Creator for a miracle. The Luna was known for those kinds of things, and seemed to have a direct line to God for help when she needed it most.

Savannah supposed God would listen to everyone who cried out for his guidance and healing hand, but Ariella was closer to him than anybody else she knew, and had witnessed more than most of the unseen power of their Lord and King.

Would he listen to her now? Did he care for this unruly rogue who lay cold on the ground, his past littered with cruel and senseless crimes? Would the King grant Phoenix a miracle despite how rebellious he'd been up to this point?

All these worrying thoughts raced through her mind as her body kept Phoenix' viable. Every thirty compressions she gave him two breaths, watching as his chest inflated before it fell flat without a response of his own.

Even as Beta Hamilton arrived with a defibrillator and Savannah attached the pads to his chest, she could see the tears tracking down Emerald's face. Even though she hadn't known him long, her sister had become deeply attached to this man who deserved dungeon chains more than her loving arms.

"Stand clear!" Savannah instructed as the machine prepared to give him a shock. But even after a few rounds of CPR and electricity, his heart refused to start. "I don't understand..." She couldn't keep the desperation from her voice, refusing to give up even as the body remained void of vital signs.

"It's not your fault," Ariella spoke quietly yet firmly. "They're still holding him captive. It's up to Phoenix to wrestle his demons."

Emerald seemed to shudder at the ominous words, yet she bravely continued urging her mate to stay strong and come back to her. He was too young to die. They hadn't lived their life together yet. She hadn't met him only to lose him so soon.