49 | Face Justice

4799 words

"That's for kissing my mate," Zion growled while Justin picked himself up.

The Beta was furious. He worked his jaw back and forth, kneading the bones back into place. Then with blazing eyes, he swung his fist and connected with Zion's nose. "Yeah? Well, that's for leading Savannah on, you wretched murderer. Now she's been abducted, and it's all your fault!"

Zion could only chuckle, his skin barely bruising despite Justin's strong hit. The pain faded as he healed quickly. "If you really know your Alpha well, you'll realise that nothing can stop her when she sets her mind to something. I highly doubt it's my fault she wanted to hunt me down, and in doing so, placed herself in danger. So if there's anyone to blame, it's you for letting her go on such a reckless mission," Zion growled, his breathing becoming heavier as all this emotion welled up inside him.

He was furious that Savannah had followed him right into danger when he'd done everything he could to distance himself from her, to protect her. "I left her for this very purpose. To keep her safe from me and my demons. Yet what does the crazy shewolf do? Run straight after me into the middle of my war. Now why would she do something so foolish, hm? Running from trouble in paradise?" Zion poked his finger in Justin's chest repeatedly to emphasise his points.

Justin choked on a sarcastic laugh. "Don't you dare call her crazy. And the only reason you left her was because you murdered our lord Councillor in cold blood. Didn't want to face justice so here you are, a fugitive from the law. If you go anywhere near Savannah ever again, I swear I'll--"

"Hey, Zion, we really gotta leave now if you wanna rescue the Alpha," Niko called from inside the house. He appeared at the door with a pack slung over his shoulder, grenades hanging from his belt, and knives strapped to his thighs. Tas, Chayton and Joe flanked him, all solemn and dressed for a fight.

"Rescue?" Justin's bravado faltered when he saw the muscle lined up behind Zion. If the rogue leader's dominance hadn't gotten through to him yet, it certainly did now. Taking a step back, he willed himself to remain standing under the weight of Zion's authority and natural aura of leadership.

"Did you really think I was going to leave Savannah in the hands of that demented psychopath and his horde of mongrels? I'm not going to stop until my mate is safe in my arms," Zion declared, roughly shoving past Justin and out onto the street.

"Don't forget us!" Rivet and Grinder followed, carrying a heavy crate between them. Darek was close on their heels, carrying a smaller wooden box.

"Just what in tarnation are you up to now?" Victor thundered after them.

"We're helping rescue the little Alpha. What's it look like?" Rivet grinned excitedly.

"Yes, but what's in the box?"

"Um, explosives. For the fight," Grinder began explaining, but stumbled when Victor caught up and demanded they stop.

He opened the crate, his eyes widening at the array of grenades, cherry bombs, and sticks of C-4. "Are these illegal imports?"

"Nope. Homegrown, boss." Rivet nodded his head proudly.

"What did I tell you about making bombs under my roof? Didn't the explosion in the supply room last month teach you anything?"

"You'll thank us later!" Grinder called over his shoulder as they quickly shouldered the crate again and hurried after Zion, afraid of being left behind and missing out on the fun of the mission.

Victor shook his head in exasperation before following, afraid his well-meaning but slightly mad friends would blow themselves up if he wasn't there to supervise.