XV

Sitting in front of the freshly-lit fireplace, Eddie and Gaege were making a grocery list before they left for the small grocery store they had passed on the way here. The flight had gone smoothly and the car rental at the airport even more so, and the small house cottage whatever the airbnb tags were they were staying in looked absolutely lovely. Full of warm jewel tones and with a dark wood flooring and a cool little metal spiral staircase that led up to the only bedroom in the place.
  "Can we get just like, appetizer things for tomorrow and pick up something today? Finger foods?"
"I wouldn't wanna finger my food but yeah, sure," Eddie joked.
  "I'm thinking mozzarella sticks and one or two of those flatbread oven pizzas like they have at chili's."
  "Why don't we just go to Chili's then?"
  "I hate Chili's."
  Eddie burst into giggles at that and grabbed the paper from his boyfriends hands. "Alright then. We should also get champagne for midnight tomorrow. I don't know what we should eat the other days, maybe we should just wing it and put random shit in the cart."
  "That works for me,"

  The next night they facetimed Nia and Grant around eleven, wishing them a happy new year and promising to make many cocktails for Nia next new year's eve. They had set out a thick quilt over the rug in front of the fireplace and placed plates full of food all around them as they drank a spiced holiday beer they had picked up on sale at the grocery store.
  "You know, this isn't as bad as I thought. I kind of expected it to just be gross pumpkin spice beer with a Christmas label slapped on it" Eddie commented as he took another drink.
  Gaege, who had chosen to be fancy schmancy and pour his beer into a wine glass, beamed. "I knew it would be good, when the lady putting the sale stickers on the packs said they're bright pink I knew we had to get it. Was not expecting it to be absolutely delicious though, it's like a whiteclaw but minus the la croix effect. The cherry and cinnamon is really good," he rambled. Eddie smiled at him so fondly that his heart ached in that way it does when you're so in love that it's overwhelming.

  With only a few second left till midnight, Eddie and Gaege shouting the countdown at the TV playing the Times Square broadcast in between swapping already more-than tipsy swigs of champagne right out the bottle, they wrapped their arms around each other and kissed in the new year. The kiss melted into an impromptu make out session as it deepened and Eddie, still holding the mostly-empty bottle of champagne, moving his arms up from Gaege's shoulders to wrap them around his neck. Gaege bit down on his boyfriends bottom lip just hard enough to please but light enough not to hurt, then moving his tongue against the others in a sloppy open-mouthed movement. Gaege reached his hand into his pocket and began pulling something out only for Eddie to suddenly pull back excitedly.
  "Let's go play in the snow!" he exclaimed, already heading towards the door to tug on his shoes and jacket.
  "Happy new year to you too!" Gaege yelled with a laugh, following to put his jacket and shoes on too as Eddie flung open the door and ran into the yard.
  The second Gaege stepped out onto the porch he was hit with a snowball. "Ow! You're on, motherfucker!" he called, ducking to grab some snow and chasing after his boyfriend. Their game continued for only about fifteen minutes before Eddie collapsed himself onto a pile of snow, waving hello to one of the neighbors who had come outside with his children or maybe grandchildren- he didn't look that old but hey, who knows- to light sparklers. Gaege jogged up and sat next his boyfriend, both of them looking at each other with such wide, joyous grins on their faces.
  "I think I'm a little drunk," Eddie giggled as he began the motions of making a snow angel (a very lumpy one considering the uneven pile of snow he laid on top of). "Definitely shouldn't have eaten all that crap and then drunk so much along with it, and then shake myself up the way I did," he moved one hand off the snow to pat his slightly nauseous stomach
  "Drunk enough to say yes?" Gaege said, voice soft and edged with curiosity. Eddie was confused, furrowing his eyebrows and turning his head to look towards his boyfriend. His mouth dropped open in surprise and he clambered to sit up as quickly as he could.
  Gaege sat turned towards Eddie with a small velvet box in his hands and a hopeful look on his face. The thin silver band inside the box shone back at them beautifully in the moonlight (and porch lights). "You don't have to say yes right now, you can wait months if you want, but I want you to know how serious I am about us. Will you marry me?"
  Eddie's body chose that exact moment to make him double-over and puke up the contents of his stomach in the snow between them.

————
a/n the gays move fast bahah. spoiler though: eddie says yes next chapter but they aren't getting hitched right away, it'll take some time. idk when the next chapter will be up but hopefully within this next week. i was originally gonna do smut in this chapter but i decided to cut it out and do it for the next one, in favor of wholesome nye making out haha and then engagement sex lol. happy new year everyone! hope you enjoyed