XIV

"Babe, do you know where I put Knives?"
Eddie smirked and tossed a pillow at Gaege from across the bed. "Yes, I do, because you packed him into my suitcase two hours ago. Didn't even ask, just put him on top after I said I'm done and you zipped it up."
Catching the pillow Gaege looked off slightly, "Ohhh yeah, now I remember. I just wanna double-check so that I know I'm not leaving behind anything important- like Knives, my sweet baby. I've actually been considering getting Knives a sibling named Spork, but I can't decide whether it should be another plush or...a cat!"
  "A cat? That you would name..Sporks?" Eddie raised an eyebrow at that, he would raise ten if he could. Gaege batted his long eyelashes his boyfriends way. "Yeah, a cat. I wanna get one for us but I don't know if you're down for that sooo....are you?" His pretty eyes were wide and full of hope. Eddie put down the shirt he was folding for Gaege (he has to help him pack because the first time he declared the job done Eddie opened it to find a handful of crumpled t-shirts, three pairs of non-matching socks, and the joke gift from his sister) and did that dad thing where he rubbed his chin and the five-o'clock shadow covering it as he contemplated his answer to the question.
  He loves cats, would adore having a new one, but a very small part of him was still saddened by the loss of his previous one. The sweet boy hadn't died but rather had just left the house with his 'mother', Gabby. It had only been fair, after all, she had been the one to adopt and take care of him for years before she and Eddie moved in together, and Eddie loved him dearly. Obviously Eddie hasn't seen the kitty since the breakup and consequential moving-out so long ago now, however he was unsure if getting a cat with Gaege was a smart choice. Part of him still worried about what if they ever broke up, and he didn't want to lose a lover and a beloved pet both at once twice in his life. But looking at Gaege's hopeful expression he knew his answer. He couldn't deny nor deprive this gorgeous man of anything, and that part of his mind that wondered was hushed with the thought that if they did for some reason ever break up, then Gaege would have the cat to help cheer him up.
  All of that going on in his mind yet only a few seconds had passed before he spoke. "Alright, we can go look at the shelter when we're back from our trip. But you're not naming it motherfucking Spork, that can be it's middle name or something if you really want that name that bad."
  Gaege let out a cheer of triumph and rushed around the bed to engulf Eddie in a tight hug. "Yes, I knew if I brought it up right before we leave you'd say yes. Vacation mentality, you're already doing one thing so why not another?" he grinned. Eddie grinned back just as bright. "I've never heard of fuckin' vacation mentality you dork. C'mon, let's finish packing your stuff properly so that we can go to bed before our flight in the morning,"

The next morning on the plane, Gaege's carry-on containing Knives whom he had smuggled out of Eddie's suitcase last minute right before they left the house, Eddie yawned loudly. He'd opted out of coffee both at the house and while waiting to board the plane, he didn't want to have to use the plane bathroom, they freak him out. That meant, however, that only fifteen minutes after takeoff he was already dozing off and leaning heavily against Gaege's soft sweater-clad shoulder.
  Gaege looked over from Mario Kart on his 3DS every few minutes and softy smiled to himself at the sight of his sleeping lover so peaceful. Gaege felt so content and purely just happy in this moment, as he so often does with Eddie. It's how he knew he's in love with him. The countless small moments just in each other's company no matter the situation where the warmth and happiness and love filled the air around them so thickly like a nice knit blanket. Gaege smiled to himself, looking forward to the small surprise awaiting Eddie that rested in his carry-on next to Knives. "I can't wait to marry this man," he thought to himself, putting down his game to stare out the window at the blue-grey sky and wisps of clouds as he envisioned the rest of their lives together.

————
a/n filler of packing and being otw to their vacation rental before the first day of trip/nye chapter is posted which will be tomorrow sometime before the evening. i couldn't remember on god if i had written about eddie's cat (cats?) but decided to write his contemplation piece anyways lol