XVIII

"Babe, what the fuck is that?" Eddie said as he entered the living room, pointing at the giant stack of magazines resting on top of the coffee table and a smaller pile next to Gaege on the couch.
"Wedding magazines," Gaege said with a goofy grin on his face, Eddie mirroring it and therefore doubling the amount of adorable in the room.
  "You're looking at this many already? We only picked a date like last week, and even then it's not a real date it's a two week time period in October."
  "The two weeks is good so that we won't be disappointed if we have a specific date and then the venue we want isn't available for that day. And yes I'm already looking at these, we've been engaged for over a month now and haven't planned anything! I found out today that we have to pick a venue by like, an hour ago, for the ceremony because the longer we wait the less places will have dates, so while our two week period is good it also isn't!" Gaege rambled, rapidly flipping through pages of the Most Beautiful Wedding Receptions magazine as he rambled. Eddie shook his head at his frazzled fiancé and scooted closer on the couch to take his hands in his own.
  "Amor, hey, baby," he said softly, waiting for Gaege's eyes to meet his own before continuing. "It's okay. It'll all be okay. We don't want anything big anyways, right? If everything goes to fucking shit then we'll just have it here. You're stressing yourself out by overloading yourself with all of the stuff from these magazines and those blogs- yes, i saw the blogs on your laptop baby- about weddings and receptions and fucking flowers and table clothes and shit. As long as we get married, I don't care where it is. All I need is you."
  Gaege gave a slightly teary smile. "And your mom. She said she would kill you if we elope," they laughed together at the memory. When they told Eddie's parents about the engagement a few days after their return, Eddie's mom immediately burst into tears before doing a complete turn and warning them not to elope, she wants to see her baby boy get married with her own two eyes thank you very much. Gaege leaned into give Eddie a long, slow kiss so full of love and so tender that it made both their knees melt and stomached erupt into butterflies. Every time is just like the first, they both thought.
  Eddie suddenly stood, still holding Gaege's hands. "Hey, I have an idea. Put your magazines away and get a your shoes on." At Gaege's eyebrow-raise Eddie continued, "Let me make good on my promise and take you to the shelter to pick out a cat." Gaege lit up and finally let go of Eddie's hand to start hurriedly picking up his magazines and rushing around to find his shoes. Eddie shook his head, this man is so cute.
-
Eddie was very glad that they had left around one because nearly two hours had already passed, and if they'd left any later Eddie knew he would've had to give up his dinner cooking plans. Rosemary chicken, by the way. Not that Gaege seemed to care as he continued playing with the kittens who gathered around him as he sat cross-legged on the soft mat layed on the concrete ground inside the shelter.
  There was one he absolutely adored, her name was Latte to match her soft color. She was old enough to know how to use the litter box and to eat regular food, although the staff said she would need milk supplement in tiny bottle form as every other meal for at least another week so as to better her transition into regular food. All he needed to do now was tell Eddie and the staff member that he wants to adopt her- after he plays with the others a little longer first though. Eddie had also found a cat he liked, and was now strongly considering getting two. An elderly cat; the stark midnight black fur of Sprinkes stood out amongst the others. She sat quietly purring next to Eddie on the padded bench along the wall of the room, abandoning her little group of elderly cat-friends in search of warm pets and soft pats. All the cats in the room get along well the staff had said, so Eddie knew he had nothing to worry about.
  "Gaege, babe, I know I said two if it was a bonded pair but what if you pick a kitten and I get this little lady right here?" he proposed as he scratched between Sprinkles' ears. Gaege immediately scooped up a baby furball in his hands and raised it up. "Got mine!" he exclaimed with a grin.
  Eddie burst out laughing, "Did you just pick a random cat?" He stood, picking up Sprinkles and carrying her like a baby towards the door that led to the adoption room.
"Nah, I've been looking at this baby the entire time, I just wanted to play with all of them for a little while," Gaege replied with a slight smirk, getting up and following his fiancé's movements to the door.
-
An two or so hours later Eddie was beginning to cook dinner while Gaege teased Latte with one of the toys he'd gotten when he rushed to Target by himself as soon as they'd arrived home and let the cats out their shared crate to explore the house on their own. Sprinkles sat, still gently purring, on the large pet bed Gaege had gotten also on his mad rush to Target for all the cat things they needed. The two new babies were settling into their new home smoothly and happily, all residents of the house pleased with the outcome of today's events as they continued on into the evening.

————
the roman numerals are getting to me lol but i like the consistency (i used to read fics that changed from "IX" to "iiiiiiiiii" to "eleven" to "12" every chapter and it drove me insane- i'm guilty of it too tho lol i used to alternate the last two in my emo band fics) also lol any fellow og 2013/14 wattpad users on here who remember when the app keyboard got an update that had little arrows so that you could navigate between words/letters while writing? 😭😭 they knew we were all writing on our little ipod touches that's so funny
also thank you all for the feedback on my question last chapter:D
hope you enjoyed!