24

When I walk out of the Shoppe I see two kids sitting curled up in a corner. They can't be older than ten. I sigh. Uma is right to want the wand. She wants to free the Isle and that wouldn't be such a bad thing. I mean I know, because I've been there. I have been one of those kids that needed to sleep on the street because I didn't have any parents or because my parents didn't want me.
    "Some kids have and some kids don't
    And some of us are wondering why
    Why won't we get out of here
    There's too much stuff that's making us cry" Tears form in my eyes as I think back to the year that my father disappeared and I got kicked out of the house. Which didn't even make sense. There was this man who kicked me out and said that the house belonged to him. When I told him that that wasn't true he slapped me and told me to get lost.
    "We need some help
    Here on the Isle
    A thousand prayers, a million words
    But no one was heard" I cried a lot that night in some dark corner in one of the alleys. The man took pleasure out of the fact that he had banned me from my home and that he knew I couldn't return. He didn't own the house. He never even used it but he knew I couldn't return because I couldn't fight him. I was too small for that. I growl. The face of that man has been burned into my head ever since then and I swore to myself that when I found him again one day I would teach him a lesson. But I never saw him after that.
    "A house, a yard, a neighborhood
    Where you can ride your new bike to school
    A kinda world where mom and dad
    Still believe the golden rule" All I dreamed about for that year that I was alone. Wondering how life on the other side of the lake would be like. Going to a good school and actually have a roof above your head. A father and a mother who would be waiting for you to get home from school and ask you about your day. But that dream changed when I met Jay.
    "Life's not that simple
    Here on the Isle
    A thousand prayers, a million words
    But no one was heard" It took a lot of convincing to let me live with them, but I guess Maleficent saw something in me and agreed to take me in. It wasn't easy. Because I wasn't the daughter of any of them I had to do all the bad tasks like cleaning the toilet and stuff. And no I didn't enjoy it, but I got through it by thinking that everything was better than living on the streets and starving. At least here I had food, a bed, and I could shower.
    "One voice
    One simple word
    Hearts know what to say
    One dream can change the world
    Keep believing till you find your way" Meeting one person changed my life for the better. If I hadn't met Jay then I would probably be dead right now and nobody would even miss me. Jay gave me a chance to have a better life and I owe him everything that I have. I sigh. There are more kids like me here on the Isle. And they have no one to turn to, no one that cares for them. I am one of the few who got lucky to meet someone who helped me, but here on the Isle, there aren't many people like that. What must they think of me? I turned my back on every single kid here on the Isle when the party after the coronation was over and I got too busy with thinking about a way to find out more about my parents.
    "Just today, not long ago
    I saw a man give kids some bread
    He pulled the bread from his bag
    And tossed it to the kids on the street" I smile at the memories of the man giving the kids some bread. We need more people like that here on the Isle. We need someone that helps them. And I know that I can be that person. I need to get Ben back and convince him to bring over more children. They deserve that, even if that means that I have to get back there and put up with those stupid things.
    "Thanks for the help here on the Isle
    A thousand prayers, a million words
    But one voice was heard
    One voice was heard
    One voice was heard" Right there and then I make a promise to myself that I will do everything in my power to help more kids off of the Isle. I grab a stone from the ground and throw it at the sign and walk upstairs. When I enter the hideout everyone stops talking and looks at me. "What did she want?" Jay asks from his position on the couch. I take off my jacket and throw it on a chair. I start pacing. "She wanted to make a deal." I say. "What kind of deal?" Carlos asks. "Did you try to get your way out of it?" Mal asks at the same time. "A deal that would give us back Ben. And of course, I tried to talk my way out of it." I say a bit irritated. "I am guessing that didn't go so well." Jay says. I look at him with a look that says do I need to kill you right now? And he just lets out a little laugh. I roll my eyes. "Well, what was the deal?" Evie asks. I sigh. "She wants to trade Ben for the wand." I say. "What?!" Mal says. Evie walks towards the boys. "There is no way we're gonna give Uma the wand. We can't just let her destroy Auradon." she says. "If Uma doesn't get the wand, then Ben is toast, guys." Carlos says. "Great, so we're going to give Uma, of all people, the wand." Mal says and she throws her arms into the air.
The four of them start arguing. I keep on pacing. If we give Uma the want she will destroy Auradon so, we can't give her the wand, that's obvious. Besides we couldn't even if we wanted to. The wand is protected by a force field and an alarm so we would get caught. So what do we do? I close my eyes and snap my fingers at the sides of my head. "Kara?" Jay says. I ignore him. They stop arguing. "Kara?" Jay says in a bit more demanding voice. Then an idea pops into my head. "I've got it!" I say as I turn to them. "We just have to get back to Auradon and back into the dorms undetected. Oh, that might be a bit of a problem." I say softly to myself as I start pacing again. "Kara!" the four of them yell. "What?" I ask as I face them again. "What's your idea?" Evie asks. "The 3D printer." I say with a big smile. "A phony wand." Carlos says. "That's genius!" Jay says. "Yes." I say. "Yeah, but the second Uma tests it, she'll know it's fake." Evie says. "Yeah, I know. But we just need to get Ben out really fast. And we'll need some kind of diversion." I say. Everyone is silent. "Smoke bombs." Jay says. "Yes!" I say. "That's perfect. I'll get the chemicals I need from Lady Tremaine's place. That could work." Evie says and she walks towards me. "Oh and good to have your real hair back by the way." she says as she touches my hair. "Evil Stepmom seriously stepped up her game." she says. "Okay, do you wanna know something?" I ask her. She nods. "Dizzy did this." I say. "Little Dizzy? Shut up." she says. "I know. I'm, like, loving it." I say. "It's so short and bouncy." I say as I stroke my own hair. "I am really proud of her." Evie says. "I know I am too. And look she also did my nails." I say as I show her my nails. "Oh my god they are awesome!" she says.
Mal clears her throat. "Hello?" Carlos says. We turn our heads around to look at them. Jay shakes his head a little. I nod my head and clap my hands together. "Right." Evie says as she turns around to face them. "Carlos, Jay, you guys meet us at Pirates Bay, no later than noon." I say. "Mal, you come with Evie and me to make the smoke bombs." They nod. "And you guys, losing, not an option." I say and I look at all of them. "'Cause we're rotten." I start. "To the core." they all finish.
We all start moving. Jay and Carlos go back to Auradon in the limo and Evie, Mal and I start walking towards Lady Tremaine's place. When we walk through the flaps we spot Dizzy sitting at a table and listening to music. "Shh." Evie says as she puts a finger in front of her mouth to motion to us that we need to be silent. Mal and I nod and we silently walk over to Dizzy. Evie squads down on Dizzy's left. "Evie?" she says full of disbelief and Evie smiles. "Evie, you came back." Dizzy says happily as she stands up and gives Evie a hug. "Hi." Evie says. "Hey, so great to see you too." Mal says. I nudge her shoulder and she looks at me. I smile at her and she smiles back. "Is it all just like we imagined? Do they really have closets you can walk into? Have you been to a real swimming pool? What does ice cream taste like?" she bombards Evie with questions. "It's cold and it's sweet. And if you eat it too fast, it gives you a headache." Evie says. "Really?" Dizzy asks. "Yeah." Evie says. "I saved your sketchbook for you." Dizzy says. "You did?" Evie asks full of disbelief. Dizzy walks away and she looks up at us. Dizzy comes running back and puts it at the table. "Oh, my gosh." Evie says as she sits down and looks at it. I put a hand on her shoulder and squeeze in it. I know how much Dizzy means to Evie and I am happy to see her so happy. Evie opens the book to a page with a drawing of her in a short blue and yellow dress. There is also a piece of blue fabric pinned to the page. "I made this dress out of an old curtain and safety pins." she says. "It reminds me of the dress you made for Kara when she met Jasmine." Dizzy says. "I spilled curry all over that." I say, remembering the moment.  "You did." Evie says and she, Mal, and Dizzy chuckle. "Saw that." Dizzy says.
Me and Mal walk away from them to let them talk. "You're totally right Dizzy. This was totally the inspiration for that." Evie says. Mal points to some latex gloves and I nod. Those are perfect. "I knew it. You can take the girl out of the Isle, but you can't take the Isle out of the girl." Dizzy says. Mal and I keep on looking around for materials that we can use to make the smoke bombs. I know that Evie is feeling guilty for leaving Dizzy here. I look at them as they are crafting something. After Cotillion I will make sure that we get Dizzy out of here. "You ready E?" Mal asks when we think we got all the supplies that we need. "Yes." Evie says and she gets out of the chair and walks over to us.
She starts mixing chemicals together and Mal and I look at each other and smile. "That's our Evie." I say and Evie looks up at us when I say her name. She sees us looking at her with a smile. She laughs. "Get me a glove." she says and I grab a glove. She pours the mixture in it and I tie it. We make four more like that. "That makes five smoke bombs." Evie says as Mal ties the last. "I think that's enough right?" Mal asks. "Yeah." Evie says. Evie grabs a tiara from the table. "Mal, Kara, how amazing would this look with my shredded tee and my heart purse?" she asks as she puts it above her head. "Very amazing." Mal says excitedly. "Take it! Take a bunch!" Dizzy says. "Oh, Dizzy." Evie says as she grabs her purse and puts the tiara in it. Dizzy walks towards her with her hand full of things. "Oh, my gosh!" Evie says as Dizzy puts it all in her bag. "Thank you." Dizzy says. "It would make me so happy to know that you were wearing something of mine in Auradon, almost like me being there myself." Dizzy says as I start putting smoke bombs in my backpack. Evie pulls Dizzy in for a hug. "I really wish I could take you with me." Evie says. "At least one of us had our dream come true, right?" Dizzy says as she lets go over Evie. "Yeah." Evie says.
Like I said I am going to get Dizzy off this island when I get back. "E, we gotta go." Mal says. "Okay." Evie says. Dizzy waves and we wave back. Then we walk towards the exit but Evie stops and looks back to Dizzy. "She's gonna be okay." Mal says. "Yeah. But she could be so much more." Evie says. "Let's go." I say as I walk out of there. They follow me and we start walking back towards the hide out.
"Do you know that one time when we read Sleeping Beauty?" Mal asks. "When we dreamed about the true loves kiss and we started imagining it?" Evie asks. "That one was epic. That went on for actual days." I say and we laugh. "Like it mattered, right?" Evie asks. "We were all-" Mal says. "Undune by true love's kiss." Evie finishes. "Works every time!" the three of us say at the same time and we laugh. "I really thought that's what you and Ben had." Evie says. The smile falls from my face. "Do you want to talk about it?" Mal asks. "I'm not coming back, guys." I say. They look at me as we come to a stop at the hide out. "I can't" I say. "I really tried to tell you." I say before anyone can say something. Evie lets out a sigh and Mal leans against the wall. "I mean Evie, I saw the way your face lit up when we walked through those dorm rooms for the first time." I say as I look at Evie. She smiles. "And Mal, I know how much you like art class and Connor." I say as I turn to her. "I couldn't spoil that for you guys." I say. "If you're staying, we're staying too." Evie says and Mal nods. "No. You are Auradon girls. And I am, and will always be, the girl from the Isle." I say. They look away. I grab a rock and throw it against the sign. The gate lifts and I walk up the stairs after Evie and Mal.

~* *~
2601 words
(09/04/2021)