31

"Kara don't leave me!" Julie yells stopping me in my tracks. I turn around, walk over to her, pick her off of the crate, and put her on the ground. "Let's go." I tell her as I take her hand and start walking. I don't hear any footsteps following, meaning he is still standing there. "Where does your brother work Julie?" I ask her. "The Chip Shoppe." she says. I groan. Why can't luck be on my side? I walk with Julie's hand in mine towards the Shoppe. I open the door and walk inside. "What does he do here Julie?" I ask him. "He just helps around with little things." she says. "Hello, Kara." Gil says as he walks towards me. "Hey Julie what's up?" he asks as he squats down and puts up his hand for a high five. Julie gives him one. "We're looking for her brother Noah." I say to Gil as he stands back up. "He's unloading a delivery in the back." Gil says. "I need to speak to him." I tell Gil. "Sure, I'll lead the way." he says with a smile. Julie and I follow him toward the back. "Noah." Gil says, making a boy stop walking. He looks to be about fourteen and has brown hair, the same color as his sister. "This is-" Gil starts. "Kara?" Noah says in disbelief. "What are you doing here?" he asks as he wipes down his hands on his trousers. "It's VK day remember." Julie says. Noah seems to notice her only now. "Julie, I told you not to come here it's dangerous!" he says. "It's okay Noah, I asked her to lead me here. I've got something to talk to you about." I tell him. He nods. "Gil, can you take Julie back into the Shoppe for me?" I ask. He nods. "Don't let her out of your sight." I say before he walks away. When they are back into the Shoppe again Noah walks outside. I follow him. "I know why you are here." he says as he grabs a crate from a wagon. "You do?" I ask as I lean against the door frame. "You want me to apply for the school in Auradon." he says as he walks past me back inside and puts the crate on the ground. "I do." I say as he walks back outside to grab another one. "I can't do it." he says. "I know." I say. "If you know, why are you here?" he says as he walks inside. I push myself off the doorframe and grab a crate. "Suppose I can promise you you can take Julie with you to Auradon." I say as I walk past him inside. "I can?" he asks as I put down the crate. "You think I would separate a brother and sister?" I ask him as I walk back outside to grab another crate. I am stopped by his hand on my wrist. "Do you mean that?" he asks. "Look Noah, I want you guys to live a better life. That's the whole point of bringing more kids over. I know it took me seven months to actually start that process and I am sorry for that, but I want every child here to get the same chance me and my friends got. And separating you from your sister isn't what we are going to do to give you that chance." I say. He nods. "If you are up for it, I have got this sign-in paper here." I say as I pull a paper out of my inner jacket pocket. "You think you could go inside and fill it in and join me at the square?" I ask him. "But work." he says. "Don't worry about these crates. You go ahead and fill in the form with Gil and I'll take these inside." I say. "Are you sure?" he asks. I smile at him. "I am." I say. He takes the paper from my hand. "Thank you." he says as he turns around and heads inside. I sigh. I really should've started sooner. I pick up the next crate and take it inside.

"Noah!" somebody yells as I hear footsteps approaching when I have about two crates left. I continue walking outside to pick up the next crate. When I turn around I stop. "You are not Noah." the person says after a small silence. "What a brilliant observation." I say as I push past him inside and put the crate down. "What are you doing here and where is Noah?" the person asks. "Noah is currently inside, filling in the sign-in form." I say as I walk back outside. "What sign-in form?" the person asks irritated as I pick up the last crate. "The sign-in form to join me at Auradon prep." I say. The person laughs sarcastically. "You're gonna take him with you to Auradon?" he asks. "Yes, I am." I say annoyed. "And what about his sister, have you thought about that?" he asks. "She is coming with us." I say. "So you've got it all planned out." the person says with an angry voice. "Yes I have, and if I were you I would start looking for another child who can do your bidding because Noah will be coming with me next week." I say as I walk into the Shoppe. "Are you finished?" I ask as I approach the table Noah, Julie, and Gil are sitting at. "Yeah." Noah says. "Great, let's go." I say as I take his sign-in form and start walking. "But-" Noah starts. "Don't worry about your work, he's gonna find someone else." I say without looking back, knowing that he is standing in the doorframe which leads to the back. "Let's go." I say again and I hear them following me.