5

After I explained the plan to them Carlos and Jay went to the locker room to get a shower and change back into their normal clothes. Mal, Evie, and I went to our lockers to dump our books into them. When we got to our lockers I opened my bag and dumped all of my school books in there. I hate school. "Do you think you have a spell that could work in your mother's spellbook?" I ask Mal. "Yeah, I think so. There's a spell for everything in here so we should be able to find the right spell." Mal says. "Okay, so shall we find out then?" I ask. "Yeah, sure." Mal says. "Uhm, I can't guys." Evie says. "Why not?" Mal asks. "I have an idea for a new dress and I really want to work on it." she says. "Okay." I say. She grabs a book and a binder out of her locker. "Bye, Mal, Kara" she says. "Bye." Mal and I say. Evie walks away and Mal closes her locker and walks towards the glass railing looking for a place we can go to search for the right spell in the spellbook without being interrupted. I grab The Hobbit out of my locker because it will probably take a while to find the right spell. I close my locker and there he stands, casually leaning against the lockers with his hands in his pockets. "Hey!" Ben says and he gives me a big smile. I hug The Hobbit to my chest. "Hey." I say. "How was your first day?" he asks. I look for the right word to describe my first day. "Super." I say with sarcasm in my voice. He looks at the book in my hands. "So, what are you reading?" he asks me. Jane walks by us and squeals. I turn my head towards Mal who is watching us and give a slight nod into the direction Jane was heading. She gives me an evil smile and follows Jane. "Uhm, The Hobbit." I say as I turn my head back towards Ben. "Ah, a classic." he says. "Oh, I didn't know." I say. "Wait, you've never read it?" he asks. "Well, we haven't got that many books on the Isle. The only books I've seen there are our schoolbooks." I say. "Oh, right." Ben says awkwardly and he looks down. "How are you liking it so far?" he asks me. "Ow. Uhm. I really like all of the different people that you encounter. I mean they live in a world with hobbits, wizards, dwarfs, elves, humans, and probably even more people that I haven't read of yet. And it's just really interesting to see how they each live and how they interact with each other. And the places. Ow, the places! I obviously haven't seen them because I cannot go to Middle Earth but the descriptions are so full of detail that I can imagine them and they are so beautiful and..." When I started talking about what I think about the book Ben looked up and as I continued talking a smile came onto his face, and the smile is growing bigger and bigger the more I talk. I stop mid-sentence. "I am rambling." I say. A blush creeps onto my face so I look down. "No, no, no. It's okay." he says. "I don't mind." he says. I look up and smile at him. "Well, I think I need to get going." I say as I take a few steps backward. "Huh? What? No, wait." Ben says, but I've already turned around and I am walking away quickly.
    I open the door towards our dorm and walk in. Evie is sitting behind her sewing machine and Mal is sitting on a chair on the other side of the table. I close the door behind me and throw the book on my bed. "Why are your cheeks read?" Evie asks. I look at her and she has a mysterious smile on her lips. "Never mind." I say and I sit down next to Mal. "How did it go with Jane?" I asked. "It went great!" she says. "Tell me." I say. "Okay so I went into the bathroom after her, and she didn't like the way she looked and she said that I had pretty hair, so I used a spell to give her another hairstyle. Then she wanted me to do her nose, but I told her that I couldn't do that because I can't do big magic and I said that her mothers wand would probably do the trick. But then she told me that her mother doesn't use the wand anymore because she believes that real magic is in the regular school books-" I cringe my nose. "Yeah I know, crazy right? Only an old tart like her believes that. Anyway, I played the mean card and told her that it was quite sad because her mother used the wand on Cindy but she wouldn't use it on her only daughter. Then I asked her if her mother even loved her and I told her if she put on a sad face and said some things to her mother that her mother would come around. I mean fairy godmother is a bit of a softy and come on this is her daughter so I made her promise me that she would invite me when her mother Bibbidi-bobbidi-booed her. I think she will ask her mother tonight, so we will know by morning." she says. "Nice. Good work Mal." I say and I give her a high five.
~
The next day was just as boring as the first day. The only thing making this day just a little worse was the fact that Jane was with us every single break. Apparently she thought since Mal changed her hair we were now all best friends. When school was finished she even came to our dorm with us. So that's where we are now. I am sitting on my bed, leaning against the headboard, and reading The Hobbit. Mal is lying on her bed, making some drawings. Evie is sowing her new dress and Jane is walking around the room talking about how she confronted her mom about her wanting to use the wand on her. "Mom said, "If a boy can't see the beauty within, then he's not worth it." Can you believe it? What world does she live in?" Jane says. "Auradon." Mal says. "Mal, Kara, do you like?" Evie asks us as she shows us the dress she is working on. "Yeah, it's cute." Mal says. "It really brings out your eyes." I say. "I know." she says. I smile and continue reading. "I'll never get a boyfriend." Jane says. "Boyfriends are overrated." I say, not looking up from my book. "And how would you know, Kara? You've never had one." Evie says. I look at her. She looks at me with her eyebrows slightly raised and a small smile on her lips. "It's 'cause I don't need one, E." I say. I look back at my book. "They're a waste of time." I say. Evie gasps, I look at her. "I forgot to do Chad's homework!" she says. She stands up and walks towards her nightstand. "Oh, no! Oh, no, no, no." she says. She picks up the bag and runs towards the table. "And that is exactly what I mean." I say. I look back to my book again and then someone knocks on the already open door. I look up with a groan. "Hey, guys! I'm Lonnie." a girl says as she walks inside. She has a black bob with bangs. She is wearing a light blue skirt and a shirt with a lot of different pastel colors. She stops in the middle of the room and looks at Evie, Mal, and me. "My mom's Mulan?" Evie drops Chad's bag on the ground and places his stuff on the table. "No? Anyways, I love what you've done with Jane's hair. And I know you hate us and well, you're evil."
"Yeez, thanks." I say as I look back at my book. "But do you think you could do mine?" Lonnie asks. "Why would I do that for you?" Mal asks. "I'll pay you 50 dollars." she says. My head shots up. She swings a light blue pouch in her hand. I can hear the money wrinkling. "Good answer," Evie says and she grabs the pouch and stands up. "I need to buy more material." Lonnie turns towards her. "Let's see, I'm thinking, we lose the bangs, maybe some layers and some highlights. What do you think Kara?"
    "Yeah sounds great." I say. "Yeah, yeah. I want it cool. Like Mal's." she says. "Really? The split ends to?" Evie asks. Mal gives her an are you serious look and Evie smiles at her as she wrinkles the money pouch. Mal growls and stands up. She grabs her mother's spellbook and turns to the right page. "Beware, forswear, replace the old with cool hair." she says. She moves her finger and Lonnie's head follows it. There appear green sparkles around Lonnie hear and then her hair turns brown, long and curly. She touches it and walks towards the full length mirror that is stands between Evie's and my bed. "I know. I know." Evie says as she follows her to the mirror. "It looks like a mop on your head. You know what? Let's cut it off, layer it..."
    "No, no, no, no, no, no! I love it!" Lonnie interrupts her. "You do?" Evie asks her. "It's just..." she rips her skirt. "Now I'm cool."
"Like ice." I say. Jane walks towards the mirror and rips her dress. She looks at the rip she made in the mirror and clasps her hands over her mouth. "What did I just do? Mom's gonna kill me!" she says. They both walk out of our dorm. Lonnie comes back with a group of girls and they all want Mal to do their hair, and they're paying for it. When everyone has their hair done they leave and a little while later Carlos comes into our dorm with his computer and a dog he introduces as Dude. He sits down on the floor and leans against Evie's bed. Then after another while Jay comes walking in. "Yo-ho-ho!" he says as he does a little pose in his new tourney shirt. Carlos whistles. "Ow, God help us. Nothing can stop him now." I say. Jay smirks at me and sits on the end of my bed. "Did Kara's plan work with Jane? Are you going over to see the wand?" Jay asks Mal. "Do you think that I would be going through every single spell in this book if I hadn't completely struck out?" Mal says irritated. "Oh, someone's in a bad mood." I say. "My mom's counting on me! I can't let her down!" she says. Jay stands up. "We can do this...If we stick together." he says. "Since when did you become such a team player?" I ask him. He turns towards me and rolls his eyes. "And we won't go back until we do. Because we're rotten..." Mal says. "To the core." we all finish. "Oh, yeah. I found out that fairy godmother blesses Ben with the wand at coronation and we all get to go." Evie says with a bored voice. "I have nothing to wear, of course." she says. I growl and she looks at me. "What?" she asks. But before I can say anything else there's a knock on the door. "Hold that thought." I say as I close my book and walk towards the door.
    I open the door and Ben gives me a big smile. "Hey, Kara." he says. I give him a small smile. "I didn't see you guys today. I was just wondering if you had any questions or anything...that...you needed..." he says as he continues to smile. "Not that I know of." I say and I look over my shoulder into the room to look if any of the others had any questions. They all shake their heads. I look back at Ben and smile at him. "Okay. All right." he says as he takes a step back. "Well, uh, if you need anything, just, uh..." he says as he starts to walk away. Something pops up in my head. "Oh. Wait!" I say. He steps back towards me. "Um, is it true that we all get to go to your coronation?" I ask. "Yeah, the whole school goes." he says with a smile. "Wow. That is beyond exciting." I say. "Do you think that it's a possibility that the five of us could stand in the front row next to the Fairy Godmother, just so we could soak up all that goodness?" I ask. His face falls a little bit. "I wish you could." he says. I frown. "Up front it's just me, my folks, my royal adviser and my girlfriend." he says. "And your girlfriend?" Mal asks him. "Yeah. I'm sorry." he says. "Okay. Thanks, bye." I say and I close the door. I turn towards my friends. "I think it's time that Bennyboo got himself a new girlfriend." Mal says. "Ow okay, and who would that be?" I aks her. Everyone looks at me and smiles mischievously. "No, no, no, no, no!" I say catching on on what they're thinking. "Ow come on." Evie says as she claps her hands together. "It's obvious that he likes you and you like him." she says. "That's not true. No!" I say. "You know, I think that you are scared." Jay says as he walks towards me with his arms crossed. "And let's be honest. You would never pull it of." he says as he stops in front of me, his face just inches from mine. "Yeah, do you really think that, big guy?" I say crossing my arms. "Then let me prove you wrong, pretty boy." I say. He smirks at me and I realize that I fell for his trap and now I have to be Ben's fake girlfriend. "I am going to need a love spell." Mal says and she starts to search the spellbook for a love spell.

~* *~
2404 words
(19/06/2020)