6

We are in the kitchen because Mal told us she had found the perfect love spell. So Mal and Evie are currently mixing our cookie dough and Jay, Carlos, Dude, and I are sitting on one of the counters. "All right. It says that we still need one tear, and I never cry." Mal says. "Let's just chop up some onions." Carlos says as he grabs an onion. "No. It says that we need one tear of human sadness. And this love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly." she says as she starts mixing the dough again. "A tear's a tear." Jay says. "That's not true, Jay. They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear." Evie says. "Listen to you." I say with a big smile. Evie looks down and with a shy smile. "Yeah, I knew that." Jay says. "Did not!" I say. "Yeah, I did." he says. "No, you didn't." I say as I poke him in the side. "Yes I did." he says and he starts to tickle me. "Jay...stop-p...please s-stop." I try to say as I laugh. The door opens and Jay stops tickling me. "There you are, Mal!" Lonnie says as she walks into the kitchen. Mal quickly puts a towel over the spellbook. "I was looking for you. You know, all the girls want you to do their hair! Midnight snack, huh? Whatcha guys making?" Lonnie asks. "Nothing special. Just cookies." I say. Lonnie reaches her finger into the bowl. "Oh, no, no!" Mal says. "Wait, wait, wait!" Carlos says as we all lean forward with big eyes. Lonnie looks at us. "What? I'm not gonna double dip." she says. "Feel anything?" Evie asks. "Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?" Mal asks. Jay steps toward her and gives her a seductive look. "Hey, there." he says. Lonnie looks at him and raises her eyebrows and gives him an awkward smile. I snort. She turns her head back to Mal and Evie. "It could use some chips." she says and she walks towards the refrigerator. "Chips?" Jay asks and he steps back beside me. Mal and Evie let out a sigh. "And those are..." Mal asks. "Chocolate chips." Lonnie says as she closes the fridge with a small bowl of these chocolate chips in her hand. "Just the most important food group." she walks to Mal and Evie and places the bowl on the counter. "Wait, didn't your moms ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies?" she says and she puts a hand of chocolate chips into the dough and pops one chip in her mouth. We all look at her with a confused and sad look on our faces. "Like, when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big old glass of milk, and she just makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective..." I let my head fall onto Jay's shoulder and he wraps his arm around me. Lonnie looks at us. "Why are you all looking at me like that?" she asks. "It's just different where we're from." I say. "Yeah, I know. I just, you know, I thought...Even villains love their kids." she says. I look towards the ground. "Oh...How awful." she says. She puts her hand on Mal's and Mal looks up. There rolls a single tear down Lonnie's cheek. Mal quickly snaps out of the sad state and wipes the tear of Lonnie's cheek and flicks it into the bowl. "Yeah, well, big bummer, but we have to get these into the oven," Mal says. "So thank you so much for coming by." she pushes Lonnie towards the door. "Really, really have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow. Evil dreams." she says and she waves at Lonnie. "Goodnight." Lonnie says as she walks out the door. "Goodnight, see you tomorrow." Mal says. She turns towards us and claps her hands together. "Okay, Kara, cookies sheet. Evie oven." she says and I get of the counter and grab a cookie sheet. We put the dough on the sheet and then we put the sheet in the oven. While the cookies are in the oven we put back the ingredients we used and then we just wait. When the cookies are finally finished we let them cool for a bit and then we put them in plastic bags.
~
Mal explains what I have to do one more time and then we walk out of our dorm. We meet up with the boys and go towards our lockers to grab our books. When we are walking towards our lockers Mal spots something and she hits me on my arm. "What was that for?" I ask. She nods at something and I look. It's Ben. He is walking hand in hand with Audrey. They are walking outside and I walk after them. The rest of my friends follow me. Ben and Audrey walk to the lockers outside and make a left. If this isn't my lucky day, my locker happens to be to the left. I sneak outside and open my locker. Some girls that are sitting at a bench on the grass call Mal's name when she walks outside. Jay walks towards me and leans against the lockers. "Are you feeling kind of weird about this?" he asks. I turn towards him. "I mean, it's not so bad here, you know." he says. "Are you insane? Long live evil! You're mean! You're awful! You're bad news!" I say. "Snap out of it!" and I snip my fingers in front of his face. His face turns serious. "Thanks, Kara. I needed that." He laughs and I laugh with him. "Good luck." he says and he walks away to flirt with the girls that are sitting on the bench. I look at him and smile. My face turns towards the rest of my friends who are sitting at a table looking at me. Evie raises her thumbs at me and I smile. I turn towards my locker and stuff my bag into it. I look to my right, and see Audrey talking to Ben. She seems a bit stressed. She grabs herself together. "By Bennyboo." she says and she gives him an air kiss on the cheek and then she walks away. It's now or never. I take a deep breath, grab the plastic bag with the cookie out of my bag and close the locker. I turn towards Ben. "Hey Ben." I say. He turns around, smiles and walks towards me. "Hey." he says. "I just made a batch of cookies. Double chocolate chip, do you want one?" I ask as I hold the bag out. "Oh, I, uh. I've got a big game. I don't eat before a big game." he says. "But thank you so, so much." he says and he slaps me softly on my shoulder. "Thank you. Next time. Next time." he says as he starts to walk away. "No, yeah." I say and I take a step forward. He stops and turns around. "I completely understand. "Be careful of treats offered by kids of villains."." I say. "No, no, no." he says. "No, I'm sure every kid in Auradon knows that." I say. "No, that's not it. No, no, no, I... I really do... I have-"
"No, I get it. You're cautious. That's smart." I say and I give him a sad smile. "Oh, well, more for me I guess." I say as I take the cookie out of the plastic bag and bring it towards my mouth. "No, no. Hey..." Ben says as he grabs the cookie out of my hand and takes a bite out of it. "See that? Totally trust you. Totally." he says as he chews on the cookie and smiles at me. I turn around towards my friends and they come out of their seats slowly. I turn back to Ben. "How are they?" I ask him. "They're good. They're great! They're amazing!" he says and he lets out a laugh. "I mean, they're chewy and, you know, they... Is that walnuts?" he says. I nod. "I love walnuts." he says with a laugh. I give him a big smile. "I mean, you know, the chocolate..." He clears his throat. "The... the chocolate... The chocolate chips are..." he stammers. He looks towards the floor. "I'm sorry. Um... Uh, they're... They're warm and soft. And they're sweet." he says as he slowly lifts his eyes back towards my face. He looks into my eyes. "Kara, have you always had those little golden flecks in your eyes?" he asks me and he raises the cookie to his mouth again to take another bite. Before he can I quickly take the cookie out of his hand and put it back into the plastic bag with a big smile on my face. Jay comes up behind Ben and gently places one and on his right shoulder and the other on his left arm. "How you feeling, bro?" he asks Ben with a big smirk plasterd on his lips. "I feel... I feel..." Ben says, not taking his eyes off me. "I feel like... Like singing your name." he says as he looks up at the sky and loudens his voice. "Kara! Kara!" he sings. I quickly put my hand over his mouth and hand the cookie to Jay. Jay looks at the cookie. "Wow it really worked." Jay says. "Of course it did." Mal says as she steps up beside me. "Like I said it get's the best reviews." I look at her and we both smirk. Ben grabs my wrist and slowly lowers my hand from his mouth. The bell rings signalling that classes start in five minutes. "Let's go Evie." Doug says as he walks towards us. "Bye." Evie says and she and Doug go to chemistry. Mal and I both have history of woodsmen and pirates. "Let's go." I say to Mal and we turn around and start to walk away. But Ben is still holding my wrist so I jerk back. I look at his hand on my wrist and then up at him. "Ben will you please let go?" I ask. "You will come to the big game don't you?" he asks me. 'I... I..." I stammer. "O come on. Please, please, please." he begs as he falls on his knees and clasps his hands together. My eyes widen and I look at Jay for help. He just shrugs and lets out a laugh. I put my hands on the side of his shoulders and force him to stand up. "Fine. I will come to the game." I say. "Kara, come on." Mal says. "See you guys later." I say as I turn around and walk away with Mal.
~
Okay so being the good person that I am, big no no there, I came to the big game. So I am currently standing on the bleachers filled with people, Mal and Evie on my sides. The band is playing, the cheerleeders are dancing and everyone that's on the bleachers wears blue or yellow, the school colours. Ugh, this remembers me why I hate sports. All those people standing bumping together. And the noise! Yeez, the noise. Everybody clapping an cheering, ugh! The game is almost finished. There only 47 seconds left and it's a tie. "This is a nail-biter folks. There's 47 seconds left on the clock. We're all tied up. The Sherwood falcons, two. The fighting knights, two. What a game between Auradon's fiercest rivals." the announcer says. The knights are switching some players and Carlos and Jay run onto the field. "Look it's Carlos and Jay." I say to Evie and Mal, pointing at them. They both scream their names and clap their hands, cheering for them. "He's bringing that hothead Jay in form the Isle of the Lost and that little guy Carlos who can barely hold a shield." the announcer says.
"When they break from their huddles, this is gonna be a big moment here." The teams break and get in their positions.
"And the tipoff is ready." The referee blows on his whistle.
"Here we go. Long pass goes to Jay." Jay runs to the middle of the Kill Zone and passes the ball towards his team.
"Jay dishes off to prince Ben." Ben has the ball now and passes it.
"Nice little block by Carlos." Carlos blocks a player form the other team and sends him rolling onto the ground. Evie grabs my shoulders and shakes me with excitement.
"He does a little dancing jig in his oppontent's face." I laugh.
"And now Jay gets the ball back. Here comes Jay! Jay, hurdling maneuver and mid-field." The ball passes to Jay and he runs through the Kill Zone, avoiding all the arrow things that get shot at him.
"Jay makes a nice pass to Prince Ben through the Kill Zone." Jay runs out of the Kill Zone and passes the ball to Ben.
"Big block by Chad!" Chad blocks the guy that was trying to jump on Jay so Jay can keep on running.
"Prince Ben moves over wide, gives it back to Jay." Ben passes the ball to Jay.
"He's in the clear! Shot!" Jay shots the ball at the goalkeeper.
"Oh, what a save by Philip the Falcons' goalkeeper!" The goalkeeper of the other team blocks the ball. There goes a big "Awh." over our bleachers, but the team runs back to their half and the people start cheering again.
"23 seconds left. You could but the tension with a sword. The long ball is played into Jay." The goalkeeper from the other team shoots the ball into the field and Jay jumps and gets it.
"Great jump, great leap. And a great move by Jay." Jay passes the other team player that was standing in front of him.
"Big block from Chad." Chad tackles a player form the other team to the ground and Jay keeps running.
"Jay dishes off to Prince Ben." Jay makes a little jump and passes the ball to Ben.
"And then Carlos with a big block, goes down." A player of the other team blocks Carlos and he falls on the ground.
"Jay through the Kill Zone, picks up Carlos." Jay picks up Carlos and uses his and his shield to protect him.
"Oh, he's being hammered by dragon fire. Still, going on. Jay hurdling maneuver at mid-field. He's in the clear." Carlos stops the 'dragon fire' with his shield. Jay makes a maneuver and then they both run out of the Kill Zone.
"The ball goes back to Jay." The ball gets passed to Jay. Jay hits the ball and it hits Carlos's shield and it flies up straight into the air. Carlos gets on his knees and Jay jumps over him.
"He passes to prince Ben." The ball comes back down and Jay passes the ball to Ben and Ben hits it.
"He cores!" Ben scores and everyone goes wild. Evie and Mal are both screaming at the top of their longs and I have to put my hands on my ears to tune down the noise a bit. Mal and Evie jump up and down and give each other a high five above my head.
"Prince Ben has won it! What an unselfish play by Jay! What a team! Incredible!" Carlos, Jay, and Ben are in some kind of group hug as they cheer and spin around.
"And it's the new guys, Jay and Carlos, who set up the prince for the winner. What a victory! An absolute wonderful end to one of the best games ever! Here they come, folks." The team runs towards the bleachers and the cheerleaders on to the field to hug and congratulate the players. "The winners of the first tourn..." Ben grabs the microphone out of the announcers hands. "Excuse me. Excuse me. Can I have your attention please?" Ben says. Everybody falls quit. He steps onto the base of the canon that fires the 'dragon fire'. "There's something I'd like to say." he says. He looks around him to his teammates and the cheerleaders surrounding him. Then he looks at the bleachers into our direction. "Give me an "K"!" he says as he forms the letter K with his body. "K!" everybody says as they copy him. I look to my left and right. Even Mal and Evie are copying him. Well that's a sight I never though I would see. "Give me an "a"!" Ben says as he forms an a with his body. "A!" everybody says as they copy him. "Give me an "r"!" he says as he forms the letter. "R!" everybody says and copies him. "Give me an "a"!" he says as he forms the letter again. "A!" everybody says as they copy him. My mouth falls open. He just spelled my name. "What does that spell?"
"Kara!" everybody yells.
"Com on, I can't hear you!"
"Kara!" they yell even louder. "I love you, Kara! Did I mention that?"

~* *~
2874 words
(21/06/2020)