27

I kneel down and brush the leaves away that lie on the ground. There's a small wooden door. I open it and look inside. There's a small rectangular box. I lift the box out of the ground and close the wooden door. This must be it. The dagger must be in here. "Kara" someone says and I look around me but see no one. "Open it" the voice says and I know it's coming from the box. I take in a deep breath and take the lid off the box. The dagger is lying in the box in its beautiful glory. The hilt of the dagger is black and on top of it, there is a red stone. The blade has many curves in it and ends in a point. The blade itself is silver but there are many black details on it. On the side of the blade I am currently looking at there isn't a name. I grab the hilt and turn the dagger. I am shocked to see that the other side looks the same. No name. Before I can process the information a shock shoots up my right arm. I let the dagger fall out of my hand in shock. My hand starts to tingle and I look at it. I turn it around a few times, but it looks okay. I pick the dagger up again and this time I feel my whole body tingle. I take in a deep breath and when I breathe out I somehow feel stronger. I look at the dagger and turn it around. Kara. My name stands on the dagger. I gasp. No. This can't be true. My name can't be on the dagger, because that would mean that I am the Dark One and I can't be the Dark One. What have I done? Why did I have to be so stupid? It'll only be a matter of time before I will give in to the power of the dagger and then it'll consume me just like my father told me it would happen. This is what my father warned me for. Oh no. What will happen when people find out that I found it? Harry was right. All hell will break loose when they find out. They will try to find the dagger and kill me. I let out an angry sigh. I am so stupid. What do I do now?
My phone starts vibrating and I take it out of my pocket. It's Evie. I pick up. "Hey." I say. "Kara, where are you?" she asks. "In the woods clearing my thoughts." I say. "Okay, well Doug and I have finished bringing the dresses around and Mal and I are already dressed." she says. "Right, I'm on my way back." I say. "Okay, see you." she says and I hang up.
I have to hide the dagger. But where? Where can I hide this thing that now holds my life? Should I take it back with me to Auradon Prep? No, that's stupid. The chance that somebody will find it there is too big. "Put it out in front of you." the voice says again. I listen to it and put the dagger out in front of me. "Now wish for it to disappear." I close my eyes. Disappear. Please disappear. I feel the weight of the dagger disappear from my hand and when I open my eyes the dagger is gone. "When you want the dagger again you just put out your hand and wish for it to appear." the voice says. I nod. Okay, so there is now a voice in my head that apparently comes with the dagger. I mean as long as it helps me control it then that's okay, right? I sigh. I have no time for that right now. I put the now empty box back in the ground and close the wooden door. I put some leaves back over it and start running back towards the school and our dorms.
"I'm here. I'm here." I say as I appear in the doorway. "I was just about to call you again." Evie says. I stretch my back try to catch my back. "It doesn't matter." Evie says as she takes my hand and drags me further into the dorm. She takes my dress off the rack and I see that she has made it shorter at the front but kept it the same length at the back. She has also added more blue lace at the top. "Thanks, E." I say and I look at her with a small smile.
It is only now that I realize that she is wearing a navy blue-column-shaped dress, which leaves one of her shoulders bare. On the navy blue dress, there is a swirly design of lace in a darker blue color with sparkles. She has her hair up in a bun with one strand loose in the front. She is wearing a barrette in her hair and has heart-shaped earrings as well as a neckless with a red heart on it. She is also wearing red fingerless gloves. "Wow, E. You look beautiful." I say. "Thank you." she says with a big smile. I hear a door open. "Look who has finally arrived." Mal says and I turn towards her voice. She steps out of the bathroom, wearing a purple ballgown. The top hugs her figure and it fans down in layers from her waist. The layers of the skirt exist out of purple and dark pink and occasionally a black layer of tule. At the top of her skirt, there is black lace detailing with sparkles. The top is purple and also has black lace detailing. Her hair is curled and she wears purple fingerless gloves. "Wow." I say and there creeps a blush onto Mal's face. "I-I-" I stammer as I look between them. "What is wrong?" Mal asks. "How-" I start but then the door to our dorm opens.
I turn around and Jay and Carlos walk inside. Carlos is wearing red pants that reach just over his knees. He has a white button-down and a white and black striped jacket with golden detailing. Jay is wearing dark yellow pants topped with a red, blue, and leather jacket. Jay also has golden detailing on his jacket. He has his hair tied back into a tight bun. I throw my hands into the air. "I give up." I say. "Wh-what is wrong?" Carlos asks. "How can you all look so good?!" I say and they all start laughing. "I mean it you guys." I say. "Just go change already. Or we will be late." Jay says as he shoves me in the direction of the bathroom. "All right all right." I say and walk into the bathroom.
I lock the door behind me and hang the dress on a hanger against the back of the door. I look at it. Evie really is the best, but I just don't know about the colors. I mean the dress is probably yellow and blue because those are the colors of Auradon but it just doesn't feel like me. I sigh. When the dress is finally on I unlock the door and creak it open just a bit. "E." I say. "Coming." she says. She comes into the bathroom and I turn my back towards her. I hold my breath as she pulls the zipper up and breath out when she is done. She turns me around and a big smile creeps upon her face. She opens the door and we walk outside. "Look at that. You look like a real princess." Jay says and I smile at him. "Quick." Evie says as she ushes me into a chair. She quickly does my makeup and hands me a pair of blue fingerless gloves. She hands me the pair of heels she made for me and I put them on. She walks towards me with a vail. It is made out of a gold see-through material. She puts it on me and I look in the mirror. There is blue leather detailing on my color bone which the vail is attached to. "Ready?" I ask and they all nod. I walk towards the door. "Wait." Evie says and I turn around. She walks towards me with a little tiara in her hand and puts it on my head. "Now you look like a princes." she says. I smile and hold her hands. "Thank you Evie." I say. I let go of her hands and we walk out of the dorm.
Before we can walk out of the school towards the boat a guard walks towards me. "Lady Kara, come with me please." he says as he stops in front of us. "I guess I'll see you guys later." I say and wave at my friends as I follow the guard. We walk further into the school and towards the cafeteria. We stop there. I have to be announced by Lumiere and for that to happen we need to wait until the reporters who are standing by the red carpet are gone and everyone is on the boat. After a while of waiting the guard reaches up with his hand to his ear. "Got it." he says and he walks towards me. "It's time." he says. He starts walking and I follow him. We walk out of the school and towards the boat. It is only now that I realize that I am going to make a really big entrance and that the eyes of everyone will be on me. I take in a deep breath as we enter the boat. I hear the music that is playing on the deck. I am being led to a room downstairs on the boat where I am told to wait until they come and get me. I smile at the guard in thanks and he closes the door, leaving me all alone in this room.
I start to pace. I do not like to be in the middle of attention. In fact, I hate it. I always made sure to stay in the background but ever since Ben's coronation I've been in the center of attention and I hate it. But somehow this is even worse. Before it was just in front of cameras or reporters but now I'll be appearing in front of the entire school and many important people, including the former King and Queen. The boat jolts and I look out of the window in the room. We are sailing away from the shore and onto the sea. The boat sways in the rhythm of the waves and it feels familiar. I smile as I remember all the trips Harry and I made in our little rowing boat. We never really had a goal. We just both enjoyed being on the sea. The smile quickly fades as I am reminded of the fact that he betrayed me. There is a knock on the door and the door opens. "Are you ready?" a butler asks. "As ready as I'll ever be." I say. The butler smiles and walks out of the room and I follow him. We go up a set of stairs and the music grows louder. I look down and there is blue carpeting with a yellow edge on the ground. "Wait here." the butler says and I look up. I see Lumiere standing on the other side of a stained glass artwork of the crest of Auradon. He smiles at me and steps forward and turns towards the opening.
The music stops and the crowd applauds and cheers. The nerves shoot up my spine once again. Then trumpets start playing and the crowd falls silent. A spotlight turns on and I can see Lumiere's shadow on the stained glass. The trumpets stop. "The future Lady Kara." Lumiere says. I take a deep breath and step forward. The crowd gasps and I turn right. The spotlight blinds me at first so I have to squint my eyes a little but then I take a few steps forward and I can see the faces of everyone in the crowd. I feel my eyes widen a bit and my breath catches in my throat as I look at all the faces. I stop next to Lumiere and he steps next to me. My eyes find Jay's and he smiles at me. He breaths out deeply and I follow him, some of my nervousness melting away because of him. "You work it, girl." Lumiere whispers into my ear. I chuckle. I make eye contact with Evie and her eyes are sparkling. Then someone starts clapping and I look at the source. It is Jay. My other friends join. "Yeah, Kara!" Carlos yells. "Whoo! Kara!" Mal yells and everybody else starts clapping and cheering too. I smile and start to walk of the stairs.
Adam walks up a few steps and extends his hand. "Hi." I say as I take his hand and let out a breath. "Hi." he says as he steers me a bit to the side. "Hey, Ben is on his way." he says as we step off the last step and Belle joins us. "Okay." I say. "And you look beautiful." he says. "Oh. Thank you." I say and let out a nervous chuckle. Adam lets go of my hand and I turn towards Belle. She takes my hands. "I know we were shocked at first, but you," she says as she looks me up and down with a small smile. "You are exactly what Ben needs." she continues. "And lucky for me, she doesn't go by first impressions." Adam says. Belle and I both laugh. Belle looks over my shoulder and I look at who she is looking. Evie is standing there. She nods her head at Belle and Adam. "Of course." Adam says he nods back. Belle lets go of my hands and I turn towards Evie.
"Hi." she says as she extends her hands. "Hi." I say as I take them. Evie turns around and I step down the two steps, making sure to hold on to one hand of Evie. "How are you?" she asks. "Uh," I say as I look towards our friends. "I sort of feel like I'm gonna throw up." I say and I see Carlos give a big smile at my comment. "Okay, that's okay." Evie says as she strokes my hand. "Look." she says as we stop in front of our friends. "We're right here with you, okay?" she asks. "Okay." I say and look at all my friends and smile at them. I am really lucky.
The trumpets start playing again and Lumiere once again stands at the top of the stairs illuminated by light. "King Benjamin!" he says. Everybody cheers as Ben steps out. He is wearing a pair of blue jeans with leather patches on them. On top of that, he is wearing his blue kingly jacket with a lot of gold detailing. And of course, he is also wearing his crown. He walks forward and when he stands on top of the stairs we lock eyes as everyone around me bows to him. I smile. He is so handsome and I like him so much. Maybe I should've tried harder. I am going to try harder. Ben is worth all of it. "Go get him." Mal says as she puts a hand on my back and nudges me forward.
I walk towards the bottom of the stairs as Ben walks down the stairs. He stops in front of me and puts one hand on his stomach and one hand on his back and bows. I frown but copy him and also put one hand on my stomach and the other on my back and bow to him. We both come up from the bow and I smile at him. "Kara, I wish I had time to explain." he says. He turns back and looks at the top of the stairs and I follow his gaze.
I hear the sound of a door opening and along with everyone else I gasp. The person I thought I left behind on the Isle, the one person who made me realize that we should bring more kids here. The one person who I viewed as my enemy but actually came to understand a little, walks into the spotlight.

~* *~
2756 words
(22/08/2021)