chapter 18

*very mini time skip*
dakota's p.o.v

"our one year is tomorrow and lucy and i haven't talked in a few days." i say to kenzie over the phone, my head looking down at my lap as i sit on my bed. my legs are criss crossed and i'm swirling my pointer finger around the bed.

"aren't you excited today see me tomorrow though?" she asks, sounding hurt. i roll my eyes playfully.

"i have to see you tomorrow and then again in a month for christmas? yikes." i say, laughing dryly. she sniff hers nose dramatically.

"i think i may go cry myself to sleep now." she forces herself to have a shaky, desperate voice. i shake my head, slapping myself in the forehead.

"idiot."

"you love me." she says quickly. i hum, going quiet for a moment after that. kenzie stays on the phone while i just let my mind run free.

"i miss her." i whisper. kenzie groans over the phone, slapping something that sounded like fabric.

"then fucking go to her." she says in an obvious tone.

"but-"

"you know damn well she didn't cheat on you." her words make me squint my eyes and shrug to myself.

"i-i don't know." i say dropping my eyes. "remember high school? the whole thing with nate?" i ask her.

"oh shut up dakota. i've been a year of your relationship and lucy has treated you amazing, has she not?" she asks me. i open my mouth, ready to say something but she beats me to it. "has she not?!" she raises her voice.

"yes she has!" i raise my voice back, nodding my head. "i know she loves me but why wouldn't she tell me where she went?" i ask irritated, but i hear nothing in return.

"i will see you tomorrow. everything will be okay, dakota. i promise you." she says, making me confused.

"huh?"

"love you, bye bye." she says sweetly before i hear she hung up. i take the phone away from my ear and huff, throwing it down on the bed. confusion. confusion. fucking confusion.

i lay on my back, knowing i should be working on my college work but i can't get lucy out of my head. deep down i really don't think she cheated. but i can't help but think she also did and she's just really good at hiding. ugh!

i close my eyes, avoiding all of my problems by letting sleep consume be deeply. i don't remember anything after having the thought of my, not sure if she still is, girlfriend.

[the next day]

"you can do it. just act natural. talk to her if you want, whatever." aubrey shrugs as she sits up in her bed playing on her phone.

i'm all dressed and ready to go home for today and tomorrow. i've packed a small bag of clothes and such with a letter i wrote for lucy a while ago. i wrote a 2 front and back pages telling her all about my love for her. it's our one year today.

yet i still haven't really talked to her in days.

"yeah." i say shyly. i throw the backpack over my shoulder and grab my room key. "i should go now. see you in a few days." i say to aubrey, giving her a wave.