chapter 23

dakota's p.o.v

the next morning when i woke up for classes, aubrey was already gone. she either had an early class or she left before i woke up since i blew up on her last night. either way, i'm glad she's gone.

when i came back to my room last night, she was fast asleep. it was not even that late. i guess she didn't wanna fight again which was a good thing.

i get out of bed and grab my phone, texting lucy. she texts me back, telling me she's up. i get dressed quickly, going to the bathroom and brushing my teeth. i go back into my room and put together my bag for my classes today. i finally hear a knock at my door and i go to answer.

i swing the door open, seeing lucy standing on the other side of the door. i smile, opening my arms to give her a lovely hug.

"good morning." i say as we pull away and lean in for a quick kiss.

"morning beautiful." she steps into the room and over to my bed. she looks around quickly, giving me a grin. "very lucky ms. aubrey isn't here right now."

"yes. very lucky." i repeat her words as i grab my backpack from my bed and swing it over my shoulders. she grabs my hand, giving me a small smile.

"back at it." she says. "felt like forever." she groans lightly, making me chuckle.

we walk out of my room hand in hand, going for the elevator. we step in it, pressing the lobby button. i glance over at her, seeing her looking down. she looks like she's in another world.

"hey?" i shake her hand gently, shaking her out of her trance. she blinks and looks at me, humming.

"yeah?" she asks me.

"everything okay?" i ask, worry filling my body. she breaks eye contact with me, shrugging her shoulders. "you can talk to me." i assure her, knowing deep down that she knows that.

"i was wondering if you wanted to join jade and i tonight for a party?" she asks, causing the worry to multiply. i let out a deep breath, staring at her intensely.

"you and jade." i say softly.

"yeah she invited me and i thought why not because you said maybe you'd want to go to one with me." she says as the doors to the elevator open.

we both walk out and for some reason i feel the need to let go of her hand. she stops in the middle of the lobby as my hand slides out of hers.

"but you asked if i wanted to join jade and you." i stop as well and look back at her. she crosses her arms, giving me a stern look.

"you know what i meant." she frowns. i nod, still unsure about the whole party thing.

"i don't know if i want to." i say honestly. "today is going to be another day of receiving a ridiculous amount of work." i say to her. she comes closer to me, blinking a few times before speaking.

"don't lie now, dakota-

"i'm not." i say quickly. "i know i said last time that maybe i would but i-i really don't want. maybe you shouldn't either." i shrug, seeing her squint her eyes.

"you said you wouldn't mind if i went as long as i was careful. why won't you take a break off and come with me?" she looks at me confused. i shake my head, crossing my arms.

"you said you'd stop bugging me about this stupid party shit. we just had a break, going home for a day and being with our family." i tell her, seeing her huff and walk ahead of me.

"fine. i won't." she says with a hint of attitude, waiting for me to walk with her. i uncross my arms and grab the straps of my bag, walking along with her.