chapter 24

dakota's p.o.v

as it got later and later, lucy stopped answering my text messages completely. i wanted to go to her room to make sure she was okay but i didn't want to intrude. she could of easily fallen asleep or maybe talking with jade.

"hey, i could finish that essay for you if you'd like. we got a lot done anyway." aubrey offers as it starts to get late. it's 10 pm.

"oh thank you but i could get it done in time." i assure her, giving her a nice smile. she nods, getting changed into some pajamas.

i glance over as i'm scrolling through instagram at her to see her getting under her blankets on her bed. she lays the opposite way, her head where her feet normally are. i keep my eyes on her confused.

"you okay?" i ask her, chuckling. she nods, taking her eyes off of her phone for a moment to look at me.

"yeah, trying something new." she shrugs, bringing a pillow to where her head is. i turn my attention back to my phone, going to my insta page.

the more i look at these pictures of lucy and i that my instragram page consists of, the more i start to worry. how could she of fallen asleep so early, she never does that. she always texts me back at least something, even when we are fighting. it's not normal for her.

"my turn to ask. are you okay?" i hear beside me as i blink a few times. i sigh and look at her, nodding my head.

"it's just weird. she's not answering me." i reply, leaning my head back on my pillow. i should of just gone to her room like an hour ago to go check. i could go now, but if anything she's definitely just asleep now. no need to wake her and jade.

a few minutes of silence pass after aubrey didn't really know what to say to me. i switch back and forth between a few apps as i get bored of them easily.

my eyes shift up as i see i receive a text message from an unknown number. aubrey's phone has her ringer on so i hear her get a text message notification as well at the same time.

i click on it, curious, and my eyes immediately widen. my heart starts to beat quicker as my hands holding my phone turn into jelly. i click on the picture of lucy, reading the caption.

'freshman lucy davis sure knows how to party'

her shirt is off, she's just in jeans and her bra. she's passed out on the floor with her bra stained with alcohol. there is someone holding up a piece sign in the back with one hand while a beer bottle is in the other.

"dakota..." i barely hear aubrey's voice through the loud thumping of my heart in my chest. i don't take my eyes off of my phone to acknowledge my roommate.

another thing gets sent and i see it's a video to play. i swallow the lump in my throat as i hesitate to play the video. i finally see her dancing on top of a pool table drunk as all hell with a bunch of kids watching her. she takes off her shirt in the video, flinging it out of the frame. they all cheer her on, splashes of alcohol coming into frame. smoke fills the air as i get a bad feeling she's been doing drugs. drugs! that video must of been before she completely passed out.

"dakota?" aubrey repeats, her voice soft and gentle. i put my phone down and sit up, looking directly at aubrey with a look of disbelief. "the whole school is seeing this."

"she.." i feel tears swell in my eyes as i can't seem to get that picture or video out of my head. it keeps replaying, every time i blink i see the picture flash at me.

i suddenly feel my stomach start to turn and my throat sting. aubrey gets up from her bed quickly, coming over to me. she holds out a hand as the tears slide down my face.