chapter 26

dakota's p.o.v

"i love your outfit." i glance up at the girl standing on the other side of the room at the sound of her voice. she's looking at me, her eyes wandering. i grin, looking down at myself.

"thank you." it's nothing special really, but why not just take the compliment and move on.

"i want you to know, dakota.." i watch as she comes over to me, putting a hand on my shoulder. "you may love lucy, but you may not love the relationship." she gives me a slight nod as she speaks.

"y-yeah." i say, now getting nervous. what am i supposed to say when i see her? how are you feeling? how was the party you didn't tell me you were going to? how was dancing on the pool table half naked...oh wait you don't remember.

"keep your head up." she raises her eyebrows for a moment. i just look at her, sighing heavily.

two soft knocks on the door startle me as my eyes dart to the door. aubrey turns around and walks to the door, opening it. as i see lucy and i feel like i just turned pale.

lucy doesn't say anything as she just looks at aubrey. aubrey leans over to grab her bag on the floor near the door. she then looks back at me. "i'll see you later, dakota." she gives me a reassuring smile.

i don't say or do anything as lucy moves out of aubreys way so she can walk out of the room and make her way down the hall. once aubrey is gone, lucy catches eyes with me.

"can i come in?" she asks, standing in the hallway. i nod. she walks in and closes the door gently behind her.

i stay put, standing beside my bed. i cross my arms comfortably, looking down at the ground. over a year of dating and we are both standing here awkward as ever.

"are you okay?" i ask quietly, breaking the silence. i glance up at her and she looks shocked. i'm shocked too that i asked but i still care about her.

"no." she says. she walks a little close to me, the frown slowly growing on her pretty face. "just do it. yell at me. i deserved every last shitty word you have to say to me." she slowly sets her bag down on the floor.

i don't know why she brought that, we don't have class until later on today. how long will this conversation be?

i shake my head. "why did you lie?" i ask, my volume low and my tone relaxed. at least for now.

"i-i wanted to have a good time, just like every other time i go to a party." she sniffs her nose, her eyes wandering everywhere but to my eyes right now.

"you know i would prefer you to do almost anything else than to lie to me." i say to her. "you lied to me about multiple things, lucy. how am i supposed to feel about that?"

"like such shit." she sniffs her nose again, covering her face with her hands. "i-i'm so sorry, i don't deserve you. i ruin everything and what bad have you ever done to me? absolutely n-nothing." she sits on the edge of my bed and i watch as her body jolts up and down from struggling to breath. she tries to calm down, wiping her face frantically.

"lucy, look at me.." i sit down next to her but she immediately gets back up, away from me.

"no!" she shouts. "i deserve to be screamed at. don't try to be all gentle with me. i know you're angry, dakota." she brings her hands by her side, allowing me to take a good look at her face. it's wet from her tears.

"i'm more terrified than angry." i say to her. she lets out a heavy breath through her nose. "i just want to know more about-"

"there is nothing more!" she cuts me off. "i lied about not drinking. i lied about going to the party. i lied about treating you the way you deserve to be treated because i'm breaking you." her voice is loud which catches me off guard. the more she raises her voice, the more i just want to scream at her.