chapter 7

dakota's p.o.v

after another boring day of classes, lucy and i went to the same cafe to have a drink and talk. we got mcdonald's earlier and oh the memories it brought back to us from high school.

"so guess what." i say as i watch lucy's eyebrows raise. she lowers the cup from her lips and gives me a curious look.

"kenzie called me last night telling me that hunter said he loves her." i say, smiling without even realizing it. her jaw drops immediately.

"no way." she says. "that's so cute! i'm so happy for kenz." she smiles too and claps her hands, letting out a cheering noise that gained us a few stares. i shush her, shaking my head and laughing.

"me too, she seemed super excited. i'm glad she has hunter there with her to make her happy." i say, taking a sip of my drink so hide my smile slowly fading. i am happy for kenzie of course, but i wish i would be there with her also making her happy.

i notice lucy's finger taping on the table. i look up at her and see her raise an eyebrow. "i know you miss her. don't hide it." she sits back in the chair, giving me a certain look.

"of course i do. we've always looked after each other and it's just weird." i shrug, glancing down at my cup and biting the inside of my cheek.

"baby i get it, you two are best friends. i couldn't imagine being away from my best friend." she says, making me nod. i stay quiet, hearing nothing but background house for a moment. "i know something that will make you feel better."

my eyes dart up to her and i look at her with a confused look. she draws circles on the table with her finger. "i heard there is a party tonight at jades friends dorm room and the one across from it." she says raising her shoulders.

"party already? no babe, i have a lot of work to do-"

"come on! it'll be so fun." she pouts, almost giving me no chance of saying no. but i know i can't. i'm too full and those parties get busted a lot.

"lucy you shouldn't go. what if you get caught? or worse?" i ask, watching her scoff and smirk.

"we won't. come on let's just go dance and have fun. it's not a huge party." she bounces in her seat happily. i sigh, shaking my head.

"there is no way. i have to start another essay. maybe another time but not tonight." i say, making her body drain of happiness as she slouches in the chair.

"you're no fun." she pouts, crossing her arms. i squint my eyes and reach for her drink quickly, taking a sip. she reacts quickly and goes to grab it, almost spilling everything.

"hey, be careful." i stick my tongue out at her. her mouth opens and she shakes her head.

"you're the one man handling my drink." she fires back. we both laugh suddenly, forgetting about everything we just talked about.

after we finished at the cafe, we walked back to our dorms. i see lucy check her phone as i'm about to lean in for a kiss goodbye. her eyes scan her phone and then she puts it back on her pocket.

"sorry, another text about the party." she says, apologizing.

"who's number do you have?" i ask curious, leaving her to tilt her head.

"a few kids." she shrugs, not thinking anything of it. i have no ones number here yet. the only person i talk to is aubrey.

she gives me a small smile, leaning in to give me a kiss. i kiss her back, still feeling the small butterfly's coming to life. we're both suddenly startled as the door besides us opens quickly.