chapter 29

dakota's p.o.v

after kenzie left that night to go back to her college, i waited for a text from lucy. i know that's pathetic but i can't help but think we are drifting. that's the last thing i want. i just want her to know how much her going to parties and getting wasted bothers me. she's not careful enough. if she went without lying and getting blackout drunk it wouldn't be bad.

"have you talked to lucy?" aubrey asks me as she sits peacefully on her bed. i shake my head, realizing i've been laying in bed for a while just staring off into space. "text her."

"kenzie said she was going to text me first." i tell her. she shrugs, looking around the room for a moment.

"just text her." she rolls her eyes at me. i sigh, grabbing my phone off the nightstand table and looking at it. i go to lucy and i's messages and see it's been about a day. "you won't get anywhere by just staring at your phone." i hear her say. i give her the side eye, making her laugh. "just say hi."

"fine." my shaky thumbs press h and i as my right thumb hovers over the send button. why am i thinking so hard about this? we've been through a lot and i'm scared to send her a greeting message!?

a knock on the door causes aubrey and i to look up, and then look at each other. i get up, swinging my legs to the edge of the bed and standing up. i open the door, my phone still in my hand. i almost gasp.

"lucy." i gulp, my heart beating out of my chest. she gives me a light smile, her eyes wandering up and down my body.

"come with me, dakota." she reaches for my hand. i shut my phone off, noticing the time is sort of late to be going out of your dorm room. oh, who cares? i'm with lucy.

i shut the door behind me without saying anything to aubrey because my eyes are just too focused on the girl in front of me. she walks me down the hallway, and stops at her dorm room. she opens the door and leaves room for me to walk in first.

i give her a confused look before walking in the room. my eyes catch what she has done to her room and i freeze after taking a small step in. i hear lucy come up behind me and shut the door behind her.

there are a few rose pedals on the floor, leading to her bed. the rest are made in the shape of a heart on her bed. then i see some of my favorite snacks and sodas on her side table. the lights are off and she has white fairy lights hanging from the window.

i feel arms around my waist as i get goosebumps. i turn back to face her, my cheeks pink as can be. she gives me a warm smile, resting her hands on my hips.

"what is this?" i ask her, my insides jumping all around. she brings me closer and closer to her by hands on my hips. she looks into my eyes, blinking slowly.

"a day without you felt like eternity." she says quietly, looking from my right eye to my left a million times. i almost hold my breathe with how close we are, but i try to focus on her words. "i don't know how long you wanted this break to be but i just needed to be close to you again." she presses her forehead to mine, now closing her eyes.

"i don't know either. i just wanted us to think about everything on our own." i tell her, trying not to breathe so hard considering she is inches from my face.

"i've been nonstop thinking." she opens her eyes slowly and looks into mine. i nod slowly, her lips catching my attention as i realize they aren't far from mine.

"it's been a day-"

"i don't care." she cuts me off, taking her forehead off of mine. "i've tried to give myself a break. i've tried to stop thinking about you and us for just five minutes but.." she trials off, tears filling her eyes already as she blinks them away. i had a feeling that was going to happen tonight, but not already.