chapter 21

lucy's p.o.v

"do we really have to go back?" i groan in front of dakota and lucy. we've already said goodbye to our parents and we need to be back tonight for classes tomorrow. christmas break isn't far away.

"sadly yes." kenzie buffs, unlocking her car door. i feel dakota wrap her arm around my back, leaning her head on my shoulder. i kiss her forehead, watching kenzie pull out her phone. "it's getting late. i will text you guys soon, safe travels."

"group hug." dakota opens her other arm, signaling kenzie to come in for a hug. she does, chuckling lightly as we all squeeze each other in a hug.

"you two be good. no bullshit." she points a finger at us. dakota and i look at each other, a smile caching our faces at the same time.

"no promises." i mumble, elbowing my girlfriend as she glares at me. "kidding."

"tell hunter we said hello." dakota smiles, leaving kenzie to nod.

"bye bye." she waved, blowing us a kiss next before walking to her car. she gets in, driving away quickly.

i turn to dakota, biting the inside of my lip. i bring my hands up to her cheeks, cupping them gently and looking into her eyes. she glares down at my lips, back up to my eyes. i lean in and kiss her, our lips touching with ease. i smile into the kiss, my hands slipping away from her face and down to her hips. they move more behind her, down.

"we need to go." she mumbles, kissing my cheek after pulling away to talk.

"it was just a kiss." i smirk at her, my hands trickling down even lower towards her butt.

"we are also outside in the open." she reaches back to grab my hands and move them away. "what's your deal with the outdoors?" she giggles.

"the last thing i'm worried about is someone seeing us." i tell her honestly. she rolls her eyes, pushing me away.

"let's get back before it gets really late." she walks over to the car, getting in the passenger seat. i whine, knowing shes right, and walk over to the driver's side. i get in, shutting the door.

i suddenly hear my phone ringing. i take it out of my pocket and my eyes widen when i see who's calling me. i glance at dakota, seeing her looking at me.

"it's jade." i say. dakota shrugs, nudging her head towards me telling me to answer it. i press the green button and put it up to my ear. "speaker!" dakota whisper yells.

i roll my eyes, putting it on speaker and holding the phone in front of my face.

"hello?" i speak up, waiting to see why she called me. she'll see me later tonight.

"lucy?" her soft tone of voice says my name, causing me to shutter.

"yeah jade, what's up?" i ask curiously. dakota stares at my phone next to me.

"i am so sorry to bother you, i just have no one else to call." she sniffs her nose, her voice cracking. i furrow my eyebrows together.

"what's wrong?" i ask her, glancing at dakota. there is silence for a moment. my eyes wander.

"m-my sister..she was supposed to bring me back to school tonight because i didn't drive home but she's not." she says.

"why isn't she?" i ask, looking at my phone. it's 7 o'clock.

"we got in a huge fight and she cussed me out. she left and no one else is home. i know she's not going to bother to bring me back to school." she says. i stay silent for a moment, biting the inside of my cheek. "this whole day has been a disaster. i hate my family. no one ever wants to do anything for me. i'm always forgotten." she explains to me, letting out a choked sob.