chapter 3

dakota's p.o.v

lucy and i sit in the backseat of her moms car, our hands intertwined. my mom is behind us, driving my car. lucy and i agreed we would share my car if we get to go anywhere outside of the campus. as we pull into the campus lucy and i stare out the window, looking around.

we see kids walking around with books in their hands, backpacks in their shoulders, starbucks drinks in their hands. i notice the big buildings where the dorms are located as well as the buildings where the classes take place.

lucy's mom stops the car and i realize it's our time to start our new life. i let go to lucy's hand and we get out of the car, going back where the trunk is. my mom went to go park my car in the student parking lot.

"you girls nervous?" mary asks as she opens the trunk. i now feel the sweating of my palms and my leg bouncing up and down.

"a little." i admit, looking around more. all these kids look so natural walking around, no one sticks out. i hope lucy and i don't stick out. well, she definitely won't.

"you're going to have a blast." mary takes out the last two bags for lucy and i out of the trunk and hand them to us. "just remember..study hard and no drugs. but have fun." she smiles, giving her daughter a hug. i laugh at her words, giving her a hug next.

my mom makes her way over to us, giving us both a hug as well. "call me tomorrow before classes start, okay?" she squeezes my cheek. i nod, feeling lucy grab my hand.

we wave one last time to our parents before walking away, our bags over our shoulders. our hands stay intertwined as walk up some stairs to go into the binding of our down. we already got our room keys, and we noticed that our rooms are on the same floor only a few rooms down. i'm grateful for that.

the lobby of this building has a pool table as well as some couches with a big tv. there are some vending machines and water fountains.

as we take the elevator upstairs, i can't help but notice some people eyeing us. not in bad way, but also not in a good way. sort of surprised, maybe because no one expected a girl like lucy to be holding hands with someone like me.

the elevator doors open and we walk down the hallway. we notice some vending machines, which is a win win. lucy's room came up first on the right and i look down the hall to see my room six rooms down on the right as well.

"to start off, how about we check our rooms and unpack. meet downstairs in the lobby in a half hour?" i ask, hoping she's okay with that plan. she laughs, giving me a peck on the lips before nodding.

"you got it babe." she turns around and turns her key in the keyhole, twisting the door knob and opening the door. "i love you." she glances back at me.

"i love you more." i make my way down the hallway, stopping at my room. i take a deep breathe and use my key to open the door. i step inside, noticing no one is in here. i close the door being me, walking over to one of the beds.

the room is a good size. two beds, a big closet, mini fridge, tv, a small couch for two people, and a few little tables. i see my roommate hasn't been here yet. she has moved some of her stuff in but not enough to show me she's came today to move in totally yet.

i take the bed near the window, hoping my roommate is nice enough to now care what bed they get. they are both the same, just in different positions and places of the room.

i unpack the small bag i brought with me, putting some things away. i look in the closet to see my clothes still lay in the same spot. and now someone else's clothes are on the other side of the rod.