Chapter 40

IZZY

Gally fell to his knees with a crazed look on his face and torn, shredded clothes, and all of us just stared at him with mouth agape.

He rambled on about how the Grievers were going to come back every night to get one Glader, and that it was a variable. What's a variable?

"Gally, shut your bloody hole- there's a Griever right out the window. Just sit on your butt and be quiet- maybe it'll go away," Newt spoke.

Gally narrowed his eyes at Newt with hate, "You don't get it, Newt. You're too stupid- you've always been too stupid. There's no way out- there's no way to win! They're going to kill you, all of you- one by one!"

This filled me with anger. This is why I hate him most. I screamed, "Shut up, Gally! You say Newt's stupid, but he actually has a shucking brain, you shank!"

He glared at me and got up. He ran over to the boarded up window and ripped a board off. Newt and Thomas ran over to him to stop him, but Gally hit Newt in the head with the board which knocked him out and his head bleed.

I ran over and kicked his feet out from under him, and he hit me in the stomach with his board which made me fall. When I thought it was over, he kicked me in the gut, and I coughed up blood. My vision blurred when Gally kicked me again, and I went unconscious.

NEWT

I woke to see me on a bed in the empty Homestead except for Izzy who was passed out on the floor.

Before I could get to her, Chuck came running to me, and said, "You need to see the map room."

I followed him to the Map room to see everything burned. All of the maps. Every last one of them.

I saw Minho run into the Maze right after a Griever. That bloody idiot. I saw Tommy run out towards where Minho went in. I grabbed a cloth for my head and followed.

He was about to go in but I called to him which made him turn around to listen.

"Minho followed it out there!" He yelled. He was freaked out. Everyone was.

"I saw," I replied and talked to him for a couple minutes more before Minho came back out and explained that the Grievers all went down the Griever hole. Like they thought.

Then I told them about the map room which made them look very upset. I was upset. Three years worth if work... gone.

Thomas left while Minho and I made our way to the map room to check out the damages.

When we walked to the map room, and the first thing we saw was a body on the floor. After a second, I realized that it was Alby.