Chapter 50

THOMAS

I was packing my food to survive the night while worrying about Izzy. She was so distant today when I was trying to talk to her. She stared at the ground not talking like someone in an insane asylum. I got irritated and started screaming for her to snap out of whatever trance that she was in, but it didn't work. She sat like a statue... not even blinking.

I eventually had enough and left her there to think or whatever she was doing. It was so irritating. She's my sister and I care about her. I mean, first she left to take a nap before the Gathering, then she left really angrily during the Gathering, and now she's sitting in silence like a nutcase.

Eventually, we were packing everything for yet another night of the Grievers coming for one person. Then all of a sudden these boys started freaking out and ran out to see something. I furrowed my eyebrows before following. Eventually I got a glimpse of what they were freaking out about. Izzy. She had a spear with a bunch of daggers.

"Izzy, Stop! What are you doing?" I screamed at her while Minho is doing the same. She had tears in her eyes which slipped down her cheeks. I could sense that she's going crazy inside, but she keeps a calm look on her face. She's pushing us back with the not sharp end of the spear.

Then she looks at Newt who's saddened too. He choked out, "Izzy, what are you doing?"

More tears escaped down her face. She shook her head and said, "Newt, I love you... but don't make me do something I'll regret."

All of us gave her a look of horror. At first, I thought that she'd been stung a second time or something... but she looked fine. Her and Newt both let a few more tears slip before she finally whispered, "I love you, Newt... Remember that."

Then she took off into the Maze. I tried to run after her, but Minho and Zart held me back. I punched and kicked trying to get past them to my sister, who was basically committing suicide.

"Izzy! No! Come back! Please!" I cry while tears flew down my cheeks. Tears of hatred at Minho and Zart for holding me back. Tears of pity for Newt losing his true love. Tears of sadness that I just lost my sister.

MINHO

Thomas was in a very pissy mood ever since he went to talk to his sister. She's been messed up ever since Cam went running into the Maze and never came back. Cam. Her name brought sadness into my heart. We were just going through some stuff, and I didn't even fight for her. I let her slip through my fingertips. I still love her. If only I could tell her that in person. I missed her smile, her eyes, her laugh. I missed all of her.

I guess Izzy was messed up about that because Thomas explained that she sat there like a psycho, while he practically screamed in her face. Losing somebody like Cam takes a huge toll on a person. Somehow, I felt that wasn't the thing bothering her. It was something else... I had to be.

Near the end of the day, we were packing stuff for the long night of shucking Grievers when I looked over to see Izzy running with weapons to the Maze doors. She was in a full out sprint so that we probably wouldn't notice.

My eyes widened. "Izzy!" I took of running as fast As I could towards her along with some other boys. She turned around and stuck the rake end of her spear out to push us back. She was upset. Like really upset. Her face showed that, but not the insanity that I thought would be present when we got closer.

All of the other boys started crowding around her too. She kept the same upset face on, but didn't look scared. Then Newt pushed through the crowd to see his beloved girlfriend there with tears staining her slightly red cheeks.

Since he was right next to me, I heard his breath speed up in anxiety. Believe it or not, he can get really anxious about this type of stuff. Tears formed in his eyes as he choked out, "Izzy, what are you doing?"

He was about to break down... I could see it in his face. Izzy kept a cold look in her eyes while she said in a shaky voice, "Newt, I love you... but don't make do something I'll regret."

Oh shuck. Newt's eyes grew sadder while Izzy's grew colder. She was trying to hold herself back from backing down. The last thing she whispered was, "I love you, Newt. Remember that."

Then she took off to her certain death. Thomas was about to run after her, but stuck my arms out before he could and kept him fro making that mistake again. Art came and helped me because he was kicking and screaming like a two year old who wants a toy in the store.

She disappeared, and everybody stood there for a minute trying to process what just happened. Like somebody should pinch them to wake them up from this nightmare. Newt sat down on the ground and put his head in his hands before silently crying. He just lost the best thing that ever happened to him, and I just lost my best friend.

Now I had to remember two of the best girls I ever met. Cam and Izzy. They both had the same fate... The Maze.

NEWT

Everybody was in a depressing mood even though Tommy had the Maze all figured out. I'm surprised everybody wasn't rejoicing that after to bloody years, we found a way out of this shucking place.

Izzy was acting weird. When I woke her up from her nap, she was trying to tell me something, but we didn't have any time. I let her sleep as long as she could, but I guess I should've listened to what she had to say.

She left early in the Gathering, which confused me. She was absolutely pissed. She just got up and stomped out like nobody knew that she was there. I just didn't get it. She wasn't that type of person to just leave like that.

Later, Tommy went to go talk to her but came back really bloody mad. He said that she was sitting in her spot like a psycho not talking, and he screamed in her face. She didn't even twitch. I knew that I should go talk to her, but something held me back. I don't know what... It just did. 

Later, we were getting supplies for another night filled with fear and Grievers. That was basically the only time that we spent together anymore. It made me sad, but I was really busy. I mean.. I'm second in command. That has a lot of responsibility that I had to own up to. 

Then all these boys, including Minho, run towards the Maze doors screaming a bunch of stuff. I put my stuff down and ran after them in confusion. I pushed through the crowd to see Izzy standing there with fear on her face for about a second before it turned to calm but upset. There wasn't insanity in her from a Griever sting or anything like that. This is her choice. Her decisions. 

She looked at me and her eyes turned cold. All I could see in them was restraint. From what? I don't know. Maybe from backing down from whatever she was doing. The sight of her brought tears to blur my vision. Her hair was frizzy, She had a cut on her arm from grabbing her weapons in a rush, and her face was cold an unfeeling. 

All I could manage to get out between tears was, "Izzy, what are you doing?"

More tears came down to leave stains on her cheeks. She wasn't trying to, but she let her look soften the least little bit before it grew ice cold again. This wasn't the outgoing, sweet girl that I fell in love with. She was gone right now. Like she never existed.

Her voice wavered. "Newt, I love you... but don't make me do something that I'll regret."

That made me want to break down and cry in front of everybody. She wasn't herself... She couldn't be. She looked around at everybody else who had a look of pure shock on their faces. They were as surprised that she'd said that than I was. 

She looked back at me. "Newt... I love you. Remember that."

Then she took off into the Maze to go away forever. It wasn't fair. I should've listened to her. I should've talked to her. I should've made her feel like she was the only thing that mattered in my life... But I was too late. It was too late for me to save her.