Chapter 12

NEWT

I knew I was a jerk to Izzy for no apparent reason. Man, I bloody suck. I saw her walking into the Homestead to see Cameron. She didn't look upset at all. Maybe she's losing interest in me. I know a shank like me doesn't deserve her. I don't get why she even likes me. Out of all the guys in the Glade, she chose me. Why? 

IZZY

I know that Newt is upset, but I'm fine. He's not upset with me though, so I'm not going to be all sad and boo-hoo and klunk. I'm going to hang with Cam. I love Cam, she's my best friend. I don't know what I would do without her. Die probably.

I walked into the Homestead to see her and Minho kissing. I made a barfing sound, and they pulled away. I laughed because their cheeks were red with embarrasement.

I went and sat down in one of the chairs, smirking, "I'm guessing you don't have much to do considering what I just saw,"

"Go hang with Newt!" Cam said throwing a cottonball at me.

I frowned, "Newt is upset right now. I don't think I want to be around him,"

"Oh, Why is he upset?" Minho asked.

"He couldn't take the fact that I risked my life to save Ben," I said gesturing towards a sleeping Ben.

"What's wrong with being a hero?" Cam asked.

"He said that he would die without me," I shrugged.

"Izzy, I bet if you died, Newt would try to kill himself again," Minho said looking sad. I knew my eyes watered up.

"Are you okay, Izzy?" Cam questioned.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I got up and went to the little stream in the Deadheads. I sat there with tears rolling down my cheeks. Everytime that I thought of Newt trying to kill himself. I felt an immense sadness in my chest. Why? Just why?

NEWT

I knew it was time for me to apologize. I hate it when my anger and passion gets the better of me. I always end up taking it out in her. I knew she went to the Homestead to see Cameron, so I started there.

I walked in to see Cam and Minho kissing. Gross.

"Gross," I said.

They stopped and Cam said, "Again? First, Izzy, and Now, you?"

"Maybe you guys shouldn't kiss all the time," I smirked.

"What do you want?" Minho asked.

"Where's Izzy?" I asked.

"I think that she went to the Deadheads. Dude, why are you such a shuckface to her all the time?" Minho said.

"I don't know," I said. I was a shuckface to her all the time.

"Dude, she's like my sister, and I don't like seeing her unhappy," Minho defended.

"Well, then you're a good brother," I got up and made my way to the Deadheads.

She wasn't at her spot where she slept, so I knew where she would be. I went to the little stream, and there she was. Sitting on the little, wodden bridge. 

She turned to see me. Her gray eyes were still as bright as the day I first saw her, "Hi,"

"Hi," I replied.

"Come to apologize?" she was playing with a little rock.

"Yes," I admitted.

"I didn't do anything wrong,"

"I know. I just... don't want you hurt,"

"I know. You tell me to be careful every morning,"

"I wouldn't be able to stand it if you got hurt,"

"Newt, I'm going to be fine,"

"Accually, I bet you would last longer than Minho if you got stuck in there for the night," 

She smiled, "Maybe,"

"You know Minho talks about wanting you to be Keeper of the Runners,"

She scoffed, "Sure, and while we're at it why don't we make a unicorn leader,"

She leaned on my shoulder, and I put my arm around her, "It's almost dinner time, and I don't know about you, but I'm hungry," We laughed and went back to the Glade.