Chapter 17

IZZY

I was woken up by someone shaking me. It was still dark, so it wasn't time to run yet.

I rubbed my eyes and looked there to see Thomas, "Hey, Izzy,"

"Hi, Thomas," I smiled.

"I was just wondering about what it takes to be a runner. I want to be one so bad!"

"Well, you've got to be fast, strong, and can fight. In case you run into a griever, and also you have to be intelligent and have a good memory. It's both mental and physical," I replied, "Also, you have to be nominated to be a runner. You can't just become one,"

"Oh. How do you get nominated?"

"You would have to talk to Alby, who would set up a meeting and everyone votes. If there are more yeses than no's, then you become a runner. If not, then you're stuck here with all these shanks," I explained.

"Oh," he sighed and looked at me.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Why do you seem so familiar?"

"I don't know, but I could ask you the same thing,"

"We'll find out one day,"

"Hopefully," I smiled.

"I'll let you go back to sleep,"

"No. Stay. I'm already up now,"

"Okay," He sat back down, "What's wrong with Alby? He scares me so far,"

"Oh, Alby? He's just a really tough leader, but he is really cool and funny once you get to know him," I told him.

"Gally?"

"Oh! I hate Gally! About everyone does. He threatened to kill me once,"

"What?!?!"

"Yeah. He sucks,"

"Has he ever been taken down?"

"Only by me,"

"Really?"

"Yeah. He beat up Newt, so I beat him up,"

"Newt is really protective over you. I shook your hand, and he looked kind of mad all night,"

"Yeah, I know," I smiled, "I really love Newt,"

"Awwww," Thomas put a hand over his heart.

"Shut up!"

"No. I'm going to pester you and Newt about your love for the rest of your lives,"

"Ugh, I just screwed myself for life,"

"Yes you did,"

Before I knew it, it was time to get ready to run. I went and stood in front of the doors and felt Newt's arms around me. He kissed my cheek, and I smiled.

"I wrote up it chapter five in my story," I told him.

"Yes!" He smiled, "But I'm waiting till you get back to read it. I want to read it with you,"

The doors started opening, and I kissed Newt before running into the maze.

I got back and saw it wasn't lunch time yet. I saw Newt in the gardens and ran to him.

"Hey!" He smiled when he saw me.

"Hey, Izzy," Thomas smiled.

"Hey, guys," I smiled.

Thomas questioned us to death, and Newt said, "Whatever you could think of we already tried it. The only way out is through the maze. If you really want to help," Newt tossed a bucket at him, "Go get us more fertilizer," Thomas walked off, and I looked at Newt, "What?"

"Why are you so mean to him?" I asked.

"You're my girl. Not his,"

"Newt, you're too protective. I don't like him that way. We just feel like we know each other ,"

"Yeah, sure you do,"

"Newt, you're the only guy I like. So relax on the whole protective boyfriend thing,"

He sighed, "Okay, but I'm going to beat the bloody klunk out of him if he tries anything,"

"Okay, deal," I kissed his cheek and he slung his arm around me.

Clint came over and said, "Ben's not curing. He's only getting worse,"

"Great. We just lost another runner," I sighed.

"Do we have to banish him?" Newt asked saddened.

"Yeah." Clint sighed.

"Ugh, this sucks." I sighed. We had to banish Ben. We had very few runners, and we just lost another one.

After that we went to lunch and had hamburgers and fries. We were all talking and the greenie alarm started ringing.

"What's going on?" Thomas yelled.

"There's a new greenie, but usually it's a month until another greenie comes up," I answered.

"What the crap is going on?" Cam asked, but I was just as confused as she was.

Everyone crowded around the top, and Newt jumped down, "It's a girl,"

Cam and I high-fived and pushed our way through the crowd. Her hair was so black, it looked like coal, and her skin was fair. She was unconscious though.

Her eyes shot open, and she sucked in a breath, "Thomas." Then, she slipped back into unconsciousness. We all looked at Thomas who looked confused.

I noticed something in her hand. "What's in her hand?" I asked.

He took out a slip of paper, "She's the last one... Ever,"