Chapter 39

IZZY

When the Grievers' clicking started, everything went silent. Newt came over and sat by me, and he wrapped his arms around me. I was absolutely terrified. I've seen one of those things before, and they are ugly and just horrible.

Alby, Newt, and Minho argued about what to do the next few days while Thomas and I sat there silence, but reacting to their comments. I was thinking that Minho's idea was smart. A couple of us could run the maze for a couple days while the others can study the maps in the chest full time. Minho might act stupid, but he does have a brain.

My head started to hurt from all of the bickering, so I yelled, "Will you just make a shucking decision before my head explodes?"

Alby just propped his feet up and told us to do whatever, and that he shouldn't be leader.

Newt's eyes widened and he started, "Oh, bloody-"

"No!" Alby yelled. He explained that he should let the Gladers make more decisions. Then he said that he would be in charge of the map room and work every Glader really hard. We all agreed, and sighed.

I snuggled into Newt's embrace, and he kissed my forehead. He made me feel safe. He was my rock. I don't know what I would do without him.

Alby said that he was going to go to the map room to get started on the work and left while we sat there worrying about the grievers right outside in our Glade.

We all sat in silence for a couple minutes until Newt asked, "Minho, how are you and Cameron?"

"Good... Bad... I don't know honestly. I never see her anymore, and I feel like we're losing interest in each other. It's complicated," Minho explained totally confused.

"I'm sorry," I replied.

Minho smiled and shrugged, "It's okay. We'll get through it somehow."

We all chose sleeping arrangements for this upstairs room, and Newt and I got the bed while all the other Gladers were crammed together in the floor with pillows and blankets everywhere. We all had flashlights, knives, spears, and every weapon you could think of by our sides just in case.

At around what seemed like two in the morning, we heard the Grievers right outside, and we all jumped up from our positions. Newt, Thomas, and I tip-toed over to the little crack in the boarded up windows. The Glade was empty. We crept back to our spots and laid back down. I looked over to see Chuck silently crying and Cam trying to calm the freaked out boy down.

We all laid there listening to the sound of Grievers outside. Thomas was wincing in fear at every sound that was made. I jumped on the inside every time that there was a snap that sounded like an explosion in the deafening silence.

A Griever started tearing at the wood of the small building that held all of us Gladers. Everyone got as far away from the window as they could, and after a minute, Newt, Thomas, and I followed in fear. Newt pulled me close to him, and I just stared at the other side of the room in fear.

A shadow was cast through the window, and I bit my lip trying to keep myself from whimpering in fear. I looked at Newt, whose face was pale and eyes wide.

After the shadow disappeared, we all relaxed just a little bit until the door behind us fly open to reveal a figure. The figure, after my eyes adjusted, was Gally.