Chapter 35

NEWT

At the Gathering, we decided to make Tommy a runner, but he had to spend one night in the slammer. Minho nominated that shank to be Keeper of the Runners. We said that maybe, if he is good enough for it, there'll be a Gathering about that, but I'm pretty sure nobody liked Tommy. I mean, he's pretty cool, and he's my friend, but I'm not a huge fan of him.

Izzy and Tommy are really good friends. They were at the very start. They said that they felt like they knew each other. For all I know, they could've been together before we were sent in here. That made me really nervous.

Izzy was still going through the Changing. She looked absolutely horrible. Her skin was green with bumps all over it. She screamed in her sleep every once in a while, and I stayed with her around the clock. Alby told me that it would be a while till she woke up, but I refused to leave her side. She always reacted to her dreams. She would smile and laugh sometimes, but other times she would scream and cry. It was horrible when she screamed. It was like she was a banshee. One if the times she screamed in pain, I felt it. It was a hard knock to the back, and we both cried out.

Minho and Cam would come to visit all the time. It was bloody awful to see her like this. She was frail and weak. I've never seen her like this before. She was helpless, it's like she was dying. If she dies, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I would probably try to kill myself again.

I was there holding her hand and talking to her when Alby came in and said we needed to go find Thomas. I called him Tommy, but whatever.

We went to see them coming out of the map room from a day of running. We talked for a minute, they explained that they thought they might've found a way out, and then when we thought that everything was bad enough, the sky went gray. Great, just perfect. We talked and explained what was happening, when Chuck came over with the most excited look on his face.

"The girl's awake!"