S5 Chapter 28

"The world is cruel.

It takes without mercy, without protest and without reason.

Fighting and struggling for seemingly no purpose, already knowing the outcome from the beginning and yet always wishing for another ending.

And though the outcome may never change, the reasons stay the same.

I know that now more than ever before"

----------------------------------

Listening to his own silent cries, five year old Todoroki Shoto huddled his knees together before looking out at the sky, the perfect dark colors mocking him all at once.

The newly opened wounds and scars were ever present on his skin as the boy used his shirt to hide his embarrassment, the ones his father called a failure earlier that day.

Training was especially hard today, the man pushing him to the brink of exhaustion over and over until he was satisfied. And now he just felt so alone, so isolated from everyone else.

He had even tried to find his mother but it seemed when the two locked eyes, she just turned away, almost in fear. Were his scars that scary, did his mom think he was a failure as well?

A loud thud seemed to wake up the boy from his own thoughts as he quickly rose to his feet, knowing he shouldn't have been in this area in the first place. If his dad found him then he might risk another punishment.

Although just as the boy pushed open the door, he was met with a pair of cerulean eyes, almost like his own, the boy staring at him with slight confusion and surprise. "Oh, It's you. I didn't know you were here.."

His eyes immediately trailed towards Todoroki's scars before the boy immediately covered them already trying to hurry away. "I'm sorry, please don't tell daddy..."

The stranger seemed confused at his words before seeming to understand a moment later as he sighed bitterly at the boy's shaking voice . "Don't worry, I won't tell. Must be rough, huh? Being daddy's favorite.."

Watching his small eyes crumble, Todoroki felt more tears line his cheeks. "I don't wanna be daddy's favorite. I wanna go outside and play like everyone else, but he says I can't. Mommy doesn't even want to see me anymore.."

That's when the stranger let out a strangled sigh before lifting his head towards the sky. "He's some hero isn't he? Well, at least someone looks at you. You should be thankful for that as least."

Not really understanding, the little Todoroki turned his head to his side. "I'm looking at you."

The boy was silent for a moment before shaking his head in slight disappointment. "No, you aren't. Endeavor made sure of that one. I mean, do you even know who I am?"

He could see the small boy try to piece the words together in his mind to no avail. He knew he wasn't going to realize it, that's just how he was brought up. "Who are you?"

A pained look crossed the red haired boy's expression before standing from his seat as he placed a hand on the boy's head sadly. "Don't hurt yourself Little Sho.."

The two kids looked at each other with a thousand unsaid emotions before the door slammed open a moment later, causing the strangers smile to dip down into a frown quickly. "Shoto, there you are. I told you not to run off.."

Endeavor then stomped up to the two kids before realizing the boy beside Shoto with a huff, his voice rough and uncaring. "What are you doing here? Did you take Shoto away from his room?"