S2 Chapter 16

Swirling the pills around in her hand, Amari swallowed the three before feeling that familiar burn in her chest. She had just finished getting over her fever which meant it was back to training and improving herself like before. That break had already wasted enough time.

She raced through the course quickly before falling to her knees, her breath becoming more and more shallow than before. That was new, why was she so exhausted already?

Clutching her chest in pain, Amari twisted her brow in confusion before fumbling for her pills. Why did it feel like effects were already running out? It was literally only a couple minutes since she started her quirk.

Her shaky hand grabbed onto two more pills before shoving them in her mouth without a second thought, the burning sensation now dissipating slowly.

Catching her breath, Amari thought about what this meant. Just last week it only took three pills to fully active her quirk but now, it took five? The amount of intake was going up, faster than what she expected. That wasn't good.

She turned her eyes to ones of concern before flopping down onto the training floor and placing a tired arm over her face. Her body was rejecting them even faster than before. Did that mean she didn't have much time left after all?

Usually Amari would have paid no mind to that idea, fully knowing that the medicine wasn't a permanent solution, but yet somehow she felt scared about it.

The last couple months had been so wonderful for her, filled with such love and joy from both her brother and Shoto. Awhile back, Amari would've have just accepted this progression but now, now she didn't want to leave.

Groaning to herself, she realized that this was the exact reason she didn't want to get too close to Todoroki or Katsuki. Now she was just being selfish. She wanted more than what was given. How terrible of her to want such things when she was already given so much.

She then picked herself up from the floor before grabbing her bag and sighing. If time was really running out then she couldn't just pout and whine about the things that were inevitable.

She just needed to complete her goals.

--------------------------------------

To put it simply, Shinso hadn't slept since finding out about Amari, and to put matters worse, he couldn't even ask her about it because she was busy completing her class internships.

There were many things that swirled around in his head the past couple weeks, but the emotion that stood out the most was doubt. Maybe it was just his mind tricking him but Shinso didn't want to believe that Amari's outburst was true.

Even if he did see her struggling in the hallway at the sports festival, there might have been a more simple explanation to it. She could have very well been faking the whole thing. At least that's what he wanted to believe.

Moving towards the school, he paused when a couple Class B students started whispering about him as he passed. It was a normal occurrence. "Hey, did you hear about his quirk? It's brainwashing, how scary."

Shinso just sighed heavily, not really affected by the words. They were something that he had heard his entire life after all. His quirk was better suited for a villain. That's what everyone thought.

His friend seemed to join into the conversation as well, noticing the two lock eyes. "Oh shoot, I think he heard you. Be careful there, you don't want him to use his quirk on you."

They both shivered and Shinso sighed again, turing away when a female voice stopped him in his tracks.

Her back was turned to him, almost like she didn't notice he was there. It was Amari. "You talk really big for someone that kicked your ass in the sports festival. Are you sure you're not just jealous?"