Ch. 7

And just like that life at the compound had returned to somewhat normal. Now that a lawsuit against the Avengers wasn't hanging over their heads and Wanda had returned home, their dysfunctional family had resumed. Wanda had spent most nights, plagued with nightmares or with fear of them, never leaving Natasha's side. Or she'd lazily stumble into the spy's room in the middle of the night needing reassurance that's she was really there, only to be welcomed with open arms.

Wanda awoke from the sound of movement around her room. She hazily sat up, rubbing her eyes. Surprised when she saw various colored balloons floating around it. Suddenly she remembered, today's her birthday. Her first birthday without him. She stood up pulling her sweater over her hands, the crisp autumn air had made an entrance into her room during the night. Wanda quickly shut the window with using her magic and made her way to the kitchen.
"Hey, Wands! Happy birthday!" Sam greeted the first to notice her presence.
"Thank you." Wanda replied going directly to Natasha who was standing next to Steve near the stove cooking breakfast.
Natasha smiled as she felt the teen lean into her side
"Happy birthday, little witch." Natasha said placing a kiss to the side of the girls head. The girl didn't reply just hugged Natasha a little tighter in response. "You sleep okay?"
"Yeah, I liked the balloons." Wanda replied
"Those were Steve's idea." Natasha said nodding her head towards him
Wanda broke their embrace to place herself between the two of them
"Thanks Steve." Wanda said wrapping her arms around the super soldier.
"You're welcome, kiddo. We just want to make your birthday special." Steve replied hugging the girl back. They were interrupted by the clicking of a camera. The trio turned to find Sam with his phone point in their direction.
"Aww man! I thought my phone was on silent! Sorry I just wanted to capture the sweet family moment..." he said looking like he'd be caught red handed. Natasha's glare was enough to make anyone nervous, especially Sam he'd seen what she can do.
"You'll be thanking me later, Nat, when you can add this to Wanda's baby book."
Wanda laughed in response, which resulted in the room filling with laughter.
"So what do you want to do today, Wands?" Natasha asked as they sat around the table eating breakfast, she noticed the teen was particularly quiet and generally her staying within her own head did her no good.
"I don't know..." Wanda said taking a bite of her breakfast.
"We can do anything you want." Natasha said trying to draw some response from the teen. "We could go into the city and go to the book store... I know you've read all the books you have here." Natasha suggested
"I've never been before. We can go?" Wanda asked a small smile on her face
"Of course, kiddo. We'll go after we finish breakfast." Natasha said

After everyone had gotten ready, they all piled into Steve's truck and made their way to the city. Natasha was happy to see Wanda slightly happier than when the day begun, still something seemed to be bothering her.
"Mama?" Wanda asked
"Hmm?" Natasha replied turning to face her
"Will you go with me to visit Pietro when we get back to compound?" Wanda asked
"Yeah, of course I will." Natasha replied, reaching for the girls hand.
Natasha knew that today wouldn't be easy on the Wanda. She should be celebrating this day with her brother, while he argues that she has to blow out her candles on the cake 12 minutes later than he does. She was surprised that the girl, had even come out of her room this morning but as usual she had, seeking comfort. Still Natasha had hoped that the girl could somewhat enjoy her day rather than spending it upset.
Natasha smiled at the girl before turning back to face the road.

"Hey you okay?" Steve asked seeing her lost in thought, moving his hand to rest on her knee.
"I'm fine, promise." Natasha said placing her hand over his. He definitely wasn't helping this whole, trying to ignore her feelings situation.
"Just making sure." He replied. Neither made a move to remove their hands.

When they arrived at the book store, Wanda was in shock with the amount of books.
"There's so many." She mumbled from Natasha's side.
"Can't believe the kid actually likes to read." Sam sighed watching Wanda eagerly sorting through the shelves of books looking for any that catches her eye, but quickly diverted her attention to throw a comment Sams way.
"Well maybe you should read a book every once in a while, Samuel." Wanda replied quirking an eyebrow, immediately going back to her browsing, making her way to a new shelf. Natasha followed behind her, arms full of books.
"She definitely doesn't get that from you." Sam said nudging Steve. " That's definitely from Romanoff's side."
"Sam, I've already told you nothings going on." Steve said
" I know but you're in love with her." Sam said giving him a pointed look "tell me right now that you wouldn't do anything for either of them." He said gesturing to the scene before them. Wanda was currently using her powers to reach a book off the top shelf, Natasha laughing at something the girl said when she caused multiple books to fall.
Steve sighed, Sam was right. He was totally screwed.
"That's what I thought."