Ch. 30

The next few day at the Barton farm are spent with numerous soccer games, campfires, and laughs soaking in the company of all those they love. Wanda sits on the porch railing, swinging her feet back and forth as she talks to the small screen on her phone.
"...I know, I miss you too." She smiles at the boy, dressed in his baseball uniform.
"I wish you were here." He replies "I can't wait for you to be back."
"Me either." Wanda sighs
"Okay, we'll I've got to go. The games about to start." He says, eyes looking away from the screen.
"Good luck. Call me after yeah?" Wanda asks
"Of course, lo- bye, Wands." He says giving her a small smile before ending the call, Wanda's heart flutters a little the almost slip of his words.
"Hey, kiddo." Clint says walking onto the porch "I was talking to your Mom and she said you still haven't been taught to drive yet."
"Not yet, we've been busy." Wanda replies.
"Come on." He says giving her a hand and leading her towards the barn. He stops at an old pick up truck.
"You get drivers side." Wanda eyes him wearily
"Clint I've never drove before, this probably isn't a good idea." Wanda manages to reply.
"I've already cleared it with your mom and dad. The back roads are much safer then you learning to drive in New York." Clint adds, opening the door for her. Wanda climbs in hesitantly, putting on her seatbelt.
"Okay, now put the keys in and twist them forward." Wanda does, hearing the ignition start.
"Now can you see out of your mirrors?" Wanda nods adjusting the rear view.
"Okay, now place your foot on the brake. It's the one in the middle." Clint adds "and use the gear shift to put it into drive." Wanda watches as Clint points it out and follows his directions
"You're gonna roll forward now, so don't freak out." Wanda nods as she removes her foot from the brake letting the truck roll forward. "Now ease on the gas gently, it's the pedal on the right." Wanda does so and she's surprised by how easy it is. Clint directs her through the field a few times before asking her if she's ready to try it on the road. A few minutes later the two are cruising down a few back roads. "You're doing good, Wands." He encourages her, sure she may be going at a slow pace but she's doing everything else correctly. "Alright let's head back." A few minutes later Wanda pulls them back into the driveway. "Now use the brake and put us back into park." Wanda press the break a little too hard as she stops and both her and Clint jerk forward.
"Sorry." Wanda manages to let out a laugh
"Damn, kid. You drive like your mom." Clint chuckles. "Good work, just easy on the brakes when you stop."
Clint leads them back up the steps to the porch, pausing at the swing. Wanda sits down next to him.
"You know who taught me to drive?" Clint asks
"Who?" Wanda asks
"Fury." Clint says, as Wanda's eyes widen. He laughs "yeah, I scared the shit out of him." Wanda laughs
"How old were you when you joined SHIELD?" Wanda asks
"About your age...I really gave Phil and Fury a run for their money." He says "You better not be causing trouble like I was, alright?"
"Wouldn't dream of it." Wanda replies "Thanks for teaching me, Clint."
"Of course, kid. Let me know how it goes when you get your license." Clint smiles, ruffling Wanda's hair.

Wanda did in fact get her license a few weeks later.
"Are you sure you don't want me to take you?" Natasha asks as she bounces Luna in her arms, fixing Lia breakfast.
"Mama, I have my licenses now. I can drive myself to school no problem." Wanda replies, as she twirls the keys to one of the cars in her fingers.
"Okay, but be careful." Natasha smiles, Wanda takes that as her sign to leave "hey! And text me when you get there, I love you!
"Love you too!" Wanda replies as the elevator opens
"Be safe Wands and have a good day." Steve says giving her a side hug as he steps out of the elevator
"I will!"

She manages to navigate the city without any issues, keeping the route mapped on her phone to ease some anxiety. She hums along to the song on the radio as she pulls into the student parking lot, she finds a spot close to Noah's car. She smiles as she sees him approaching.
"Look at you!" He smiles as she steps out of the car. He takes her bag from her. "I told you you'd pass!"
Wanda smiles interlacing their fingers together as she locks her car.
"Did your mom say you could come over?" He asks as they head for her locker. Wanda sees Peter standing at his a few lockers down. Flash is saying something, a stupid remark Wanda's sure. She watches as Peter's face falls. She's not sure why her feet lead her a few steps farther until she's standing next to Peter.
"Just leave him alone, Flash." She says, determination clear in her voice. She's not exactly sure where it came from, Nat would be proud.
"Aww Penis Parker had to have his little girlfriend come and safe him." Flash taunts
"Just leave him alone." Wanda says again more firmly. If she didn't have her bracelets securely placed around her wrist she's sure her eyes would be glowing red. She feels her powers coursing throughout her body, the feelings overwhelming to an extent.
"What are you going to do about it?" Flash says annoyingly. Wanda rolls her eyes.
"Leave him alone Flash." Noah says coming to rest a hand on Wanda's shoulder, she feels some tension leave at the touch.
"Stupid little Peter Parker needing everyone to defend him."
"I'm not going to ask you again, Flash." Noah adds
"Or what?" Flash says
"I'll make you be quiet." Noah replies. He could Wanda notes. Noah stands a good few inches taller than Flash, which a much stronger build. Flash finally backs down, leaving the trio alone.
"Pete, are you okay? Flash is stupid." Wanda starts
"I don't need you defending me!" He replies, he's face seems surprised at his own tone. "not when we've not been friends for a few weeks."
"And whose fault is that?" Wanda asks  "you've basically ignored me since the tower."
"Just forget it." Peter says waving a hand, dismissing the conversation
"You don't want to be friends anymore?" Wanda asks frown on her face. She doesn't want to lose another friend, another brother.
"I just... I..." Peter starts, the bell sounds urging the crowds of students in the hall to get to class. Wanda stays silent, mouth agape.
"Fine then." She manages to stutter out. Noah squeezes her shoulder. They all head for class, Peter splits off from the couple to his seat now across the room.
"Hell of a way to start the morning." He mumbles as they enter their seats. "Hey, don't stay in your head. Okay?" He says as she doesn't respond. Wanda manages a solemn nod. He places a soft kiss to her cheek before turning around in his seat.