Ch. 12

The last thing Natasha heard was her name, then she faded into a sea of black. She sighed opening her eyes, confused of where exactly she was. This wasn't the compound or the medbay. She looked around, trying to find some type of clues as to wear she was. Glancing at the night stand she looked at the framed photos. She immediately noticed Wanda and Steve, but she didn't recognize the two children in the picture. She was definitely dreaming. The clock on the nightstand read 9 a.m. Natasha stood from the bed carefully, noticing no pain in her thigh. After running a hand through her hair, she noticed the ring glistening on her left hand, a small silver band with a dainty diamond. She got out of bed and made her way down the hallway where she heard voices
"Shh. You'll wake your Mama." She heard Steve say as he held a finger to his lips. She smiled as she leaned against the door frame, noticing the blonde toddler copying the mans gesture. Wanda sat next to the girl trying to keep her from getting syrup in her hair, while an older child sat on the opposite side doodling on a piece of paper.
"Hey." Steve said from his place at the sink, the first to notice her presence. "Sleep well?"
"Mama!" A small voice interrupted before she hand a chance to answer. Natasha immediately turned her attention to the child allowing herself to take in the little girls features. She was the perfect mix of the two of them. Blonde hair with blue eyes but it was clear the girls features appeared to be the same as hers, the same smile and nose.
"Good morning princess." Natasha said going to greet the girl who immediately held her arms out as Natasha walked towards her. Natasha lifted the girl out of the chair and into her arms with ease, ignoring when the sticky hands made their way to her hair. She wanted to live this dream while she could. She would never get this in reality. The child immediately snuggled into her, she smiled at the reaction.
"Mom, guess what I get to do at school today?" The other child said eagerly looking up from her drawing. Natasha smiled finally being able to fully see the girls face, clearly much different from the little girl she was now holding. Natasha took in the girls darker features, deep brown hair and bright blue eyes. It appeared the girl looked more related to the teen sitting next to her than herself or Steve.
"What?" Natasha asked matching the girls tone.
"We get to use really paints like daddy uses in art!" The brunette says happily bright blue eyes shining. Steve smiles catching her eyes across the room.
"That's great, Malyshka!" Natasha replies taking a seat next to Wanda.
Steve makes his way to the table cup of coffee in hand when she notices the silver band sitting on his left hand. He sits the cup of coffee in front of Natasha, dropping a quick kiss to her lips.
Natasha smiles as she sits at the table with her family, she's happy. She would be perfectly content with staying here forever, with this new family that she has formed but she feels reality creeping back in. This a dream, one that is one her deepest desires. She feels the tug of reality pulling her away. She has to go back for Steve, for Wanda.

Clint had arrived shortly after Steve and Wanda had fallen asleep on the couch, making himself comfortable on a chair in her corner of the room. Currently, Steve had persuaded Wanda to leave the room to go get dinner with Clint in the kitchen. It had been 12 hours since Natasha was wheeled into recovery. Steve had pushed himself closer to Natasha's bed taking her hand in his.
"Hey, Nat. Cho said it might take a while for you to wake up." He says "You really scared me out there, Tash." He sighs " I know you're strong but you've got to stop downplaying your injuries. I don't know what I would do if I lost you. Just wake up soon, okay?" He adds kissing the back of her hand. As if reading his thoughts he feels her hand move against his.
"Hey, soldier." She says voice raspy
"Nat." He smiles holding her hand in both of his. "How are you feeling?"
"Like I almost died." Natasha replies
"You really scared me you know." Steve says stroking her hand with his thumb.
"I'm sorry." She replies
"I should tell Cho you're awake." Steve says lifting himself from the chair.
"Can we wait a few minutes? I just want to be here with you for a minute." Natasha says holding his hand, vulnerability on display.
"Okay." Steve replies. He's surprised when Natasha pulls him closer. "Nat..."
"We could spend forever waiting for someday." She says, managing to pull him closer than he was before. He knows what she means, she doesn't have to explain.
"Yeah?" He asks leaning closer to her, she nods in response. "Are you sure?" He asks again.
"Positive." She says closing the gap between them. The kiss is slow and sweet not hasty or rushed like the one they experienced years ago on the escalator. She smiles as he pulls away. "You been practicing?" She asks, a smirk on her lips
Steve shakes his head, letting out a small chuckle. "I love you."
"I love you too." Natasha replies, before pulling him in for another kiss. "I have for a long time now."
"Damn it!" Sam says entering the room causing the couple to break apart "Now I owe Wands those new shoes!"
"You bet on us?" Steve asks
"What can I say, Little witch is convinced her parents are in love. She's right. It's about damn time." Sam replies
The couple replies shaking the heads.
"You can tell Cho now." Natasha says. Steve nods, pressing a kiss to her cheek before going to find Dr. Cho.
"Where's Wanda?" Natasha asks
"Kitchen with Clint. She should be here soon." Sam says
"Is she okay?" Natasha asks biting her lip
"She's worried, we all were." Sam said "but she's okay."
"Thank you for being here for them." Natasha replies
"Anytime, Romanoff." Sam says. On cue Clint and Wanda enter the room the latter running to hug the spy. Wanda's eyes are filled with tears and Natasha isn't sure if they are tears of fear or relief.
"I'm sorry I scared you..." Natasha says rubbing the girls back.
"I was so worried Mama..." Wanda says in Russian.
"It's okay. I'm okay." Natasha replies scooting over to make room for the girl on the bed.
Clint stays back allowing the mother-daughter duo to have there moment. Wanda's tears eventually subside to sniffles but she still keeps her head tucked onto Natasha's chest needing comfort. Clint makes his way to her side.
"Don't ever do that again." He says reaching for her hand, Natasha can tell she scared him. She nods squeezing his hand back "My kid's need their Aunt and I need my best friend." He adds, before pressing a kiss to Natasha's forehead.
"I'm not going anywhere." Natasha replies. "I'm fine, you should get back to Laura and the kids."
"I just wanted to make sure you're okay." Clint says "Come visit soon alright?"
"Of course." Natasha smiles as he makes his way to the door.
Natasha notices Wanda has finally fallen asleep as Steve and Dr. Cho make there way into the room.
"Agent Romanoff, glad to see your awake."  Dr. Cho. starts "You've made major improvements since you were brought in yesterday. We were able to repair the damage the bullet caused using the same technology we used to repair Barton's side last year. We successfully removed the bullet and you should have no lasting damage, barely even a scar. You will have to complete physical therapy for 6-8 weeks and no mission or training until your released."
Natasha sighed.
"I'm sure I can count on Captain Rogers to see to that." Cho says looking at Steve
"Of course." Steve says looking to Natasha
"Fine." Natasha says  "No missions or training."
"And you should take it easy for the next few days." Dr. Cho added "I don't see any reason to keep you here as long as your in minimal pain and all your stats have checked out. I'll release you to go back to the residence but call me if anything changes."
"Thanks." Natasha replies, she would much rather be in her own bed than having to spend a few days in the medical ward.
Dr. Cho tells them they can leave whenever they are ready sitting a pair of crutches near the door.
"Will you go get me some clothes from my room, please?" Natasha asks Steve
"Yeah, I'll be right back." He smiles exiting the room, Sam follows talking about the mission.

Natasha looks at the sleeping teen next to her, she looked younger than the last time she'd seen her. She wondered if she managed to sleep any last night. Wanda sighs cuddling closer to Natasha who runs a hand through the girls curls.
"Missed you..." Wanda mumbles in Russian
"I missed you too, little one." Natasha says kissing her forehead. "We'll have to get up soon, we can go back to sleep on our floor okay?"
" 'Kay..." Wanda mumbles opening her eyes sleepily untangling herself from Natasha's side as Steve returns to the room.
He hands the clothes to Natasha, helping her move to sit on the edge of the bed.
"Come on wands, let's let your mama change." He says placing an arm around the sleepy teens shoulders leading her out of the room.
Natasha manages to change rather quickly, happy that Steve selected sweatpants that she could easily get over the wrap on her thigh. She manages to make her way to the door opening it to let them know she is dressed.
"Ready?" Steve asks from his place against the wall.
"Yep." Natasha replies sticking a crutch under each arm, she could already tell she would hate these.

They made their way to the elevator, selecting Natasha and Wanda's floor.
Steve leads the teen through the hall way towards her bedroom, Natasha following.
"Wanna stay with you and mom..." Wanda says sleepily as he reaches her door.
"Okay." Steve says going to Natasha's instead.
Steve helps settle Wanda in the bed, pulling back the comforter.
"Sweet dreams, kiddo." He says pulling the covers up to her shoulders.
"Night, papa." She replies sinking deeper into Natasha's pillows.
"Let me help." Steve says walking over to Natasha's side taking off her shoes and sitting her crutches where she could easily access them. He helps her sit on the bed, pulling the comforter over her. He smiles placing a short kiss to her lips.
"Try to get some rest." He says making a move to leave, he would sleep on her couch close by in case she needed him.
"Stay?" Natasha asks reaching for his hand. Steve nods as she scoots closer to Wanda to make room for him. He immediately wraps an arm around her shoulders, as she snuggles close to his chest.
"I love you." She says placing as kiss on his jaw.
"I love you too." He replies running a hand down her arm in a comforting motion.
Steve smiles, a few years ago he never would have seen himself in this situation. Sleeping next to the woman he loves with his adopted teenage daughter of her other side. The old Steve wanted a conventional life, the white picket fence, wife and 2.5 kids. But the Steve he is now wanted nothing more than what he had in this room. He falls asleep quickly to Natasha and Wanda's even breaths.

So what did you guys think of this chapter? Natasha and Steve finally are a couple but their relationship still has so much room left to grow. It won't be easy even if they have finally addressed the connection between them properly. I hope Natasha's dream wasn't too confusing to follow, but I really wanted to include it. Thanks for all the reads and votes! Let me know what you all think in the comments.
- musicgirl145