Ch. 21

For the first time in her life Wanda felt somewhat normal. She wasn't exactly ready to start school, just yet but she liked to hang out with Peter when he'd come visit the compound with Tony. They'd exchanged phone numbers on New Years Eve and Wanda and Peter seemed to become close friends quickly. Wanda currently sitting on her bed doing her homework while Peter sits at her desk doing his, she's sure his physics homework is much harder than the algebra she's doing but he still manages to bounce a rubber ball repeatedly as he reads from his textbook. Natasha knocks on the door frame grabbing the attention from both the teens. Steve didn't care whether they were just friends or not, Wanda's door had to stay open despite her telling him multiple times that Peter was like a brother to her.
"Hey Pete, you staying for dinner?" She asks
"Umm, are you sure it's okay?" Peter asks, stopping the bouncing of the ball
"Of course it is, if you'd like to." She replies
"O-okay, thanks Ms. Romanoff, I mean Natasha. I'll text aunt may." He says, Wanda giggles at the boys slightly red face as Natasha leaves the room. He gets embarrassed so easily.
"What are you laughing at?" Peter whines
"I just think it's funny how you're scared of my mom." Wanda trails off
"I-I'm not." Peter stutters
"You are."
"Okay, maybe I was or still am a little...but she's the black widow! She could probably kill me with her pinky." Peter says
"Relax, she likes you and you're sort of my only friend so..." Wanda replies
"Which is why you should come to Midtown." Peter says taking his attention off of his homework to come sit next to her.
"I don't know, Peter. I'm not as smart as you are, as the kids who go there. Plus there's my powers and the fact that I can't even go to the mall without getting freaked out. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I went to high school, I mean you've seen the movies...." Wanda rambles
"Wands, it's not like the movies... okay, well maybe it is but you'll be fine! And I'll be there with you! Please? You could meet my friends, I know they'll love you." Peter says
"Okay." Wanda nods. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, she'd already have one friend.
"Yay!" Peter says excitedly, throwing his arms around her awkwardly. She returns the embrace, as she hears someone clear their throat in the door way. Peter immediately lets go his face turning a bright red.
"Sorry, um Cap...Captain." He nods before going back over to the desk. Wanda's face blushes a light pink, she doesn't like Peter like that, not really. He's a good friend and he's cute in a dorky way but she's not into him like that.
"Dinner's ready." Steve says before walking out of the room.
Wanda and Peter exchange a glance as Steve exits the room before they bust out laughing.
"I really thought he was going to kill me..." Peter says
"And to think you're more scared of my mom!" Wanda replies as they both exit her room to go eat dinner.

To say Steve was upset that he saw Wanda and Peter hugging, would be completely false. Okay, he doesn't like the idea of her receiving male attention at all but Peter is a nice boy and the two are close friends. But so were him and Natasha and now look at them. Steve sighed walking back to the kitchen, running a hand over his face. Natasha's sitting plates on the table.
"What's wrong?" She asks
"I just walked in on Wanda and Peter hugging..." he says
"That's what's got you upset?" She asks amused "honey, they're just friends."
"So were we." He reminds her
"Steve, she thinks of him like a brother. He's kind of feeling the void that Pietro left, she's opening up to someone the way she opened up to him. It's nothing more, I can assure you." Natasha says giving his arm a squeeze " Gosh if you're this upset about a hug, I can only imagine what it with be like when she actually likes a boy."
"She's too young for that." Steve replies pulling her in for a hug. "She's not dating until she's 30."
Natasha laughs in response, as the teens enter the room. They all eat dinner together, enjoying one another's presence.

Later after Peter has went home and the girls have been tucked in, Natasha knocks on Wanda's door.
"Hey, can I come in?" She asks
"Yeah." Wanda hums putting her book down
"So I'm supposed to come in her and talk to you about relationships and all that jazz, per your Dads request." Natasha says
"Mom, I don't like Peter, not like that!" Wanda interrupts
"That's what I said too." Natasha smiles sitting on the girls bed. "Your dads a complete mess at the thought of a boy even talking to you."
"He doesn't have to worry about that." Wanda replies "but I did want to ask you something."
"What's up?" Natasha asks encouraging her to continue
"Could I maybe go to midtown with Peter for school? I know I said I wasn't ready but it's been almost 2 months since then and I really want to make more friends." Wanda replies
"You think you're ready?" Natasha asks, Wanda nods in response.
"I need to try, I can always do online again right?"
"Okay. We'll go register you next week then, alright?" Natasha says leaning over to pull Wanda into a hug "You're growing up on me kid. Get some rest, training tomorrow at 7. Night kiddo, love you." She says placing a kiss to Wanda's head.
"Night, love you." Wanda replies. Steve stands in the doorway before walking in himself.
"Night kid." He says ruffling her hair
"Night Dad." Wanda smiles pulling her blanket up as Steve turns off her lamp.