Chapter 14

*WARNING: Please be advised that this chapter contains mature content and strong language.*

Chapter 14
Quinn's POV

"Quinn, can I talk to you?" Rick called.

"Yeah sure. What's up?" I asked as I wandered over.

"Lori's pregnant," he said bluntly.

"And?"

"We need Hershel there to deliver the baby...we need to get on the right side of things. Beth's in shock and she needs him. I'm takin' Glenn with me to the local bar in town, Maggie says that's where I'll find him. Can you hold down the fort here while I'm gone?"

"Of course," I agreed.

___

"Movin' into the suburbs?" Lori asked as she approached mine and Daryl's camp.

Daryl was cleaning his arrows and I was sharpening my knife. We were sitting side by side against a big tree. We didn't laugh or greet Lori.

"Look, Beth's in some catatonic shock. We need Hershel," she explained.

"Yeah, so what?" Daryl replied, not taking his eyes off of his arrows.

"I need you two to run into town real quick and bring him and Rick back."

"Your bitch went window shopping," Daryl spat before I could talk. "You want him, fetch him yourself. We've got better things to do."

"What's the matter with you?" Lori asked. "How could you be so selfish?"

"Selfish?" he asked, standing up. "Listen to me, Olive Oyl. I was out there lookin' for that little girl every single day. I took a bullet and an arrow in the process. Don't you tell me about gettin' my hands dirty. You want those two idiots, have a nice ride. I'm done lookin' for people." As Lori stalked off, Daryl muttered, "Stupid bitch."

"Daryl."

He pushed my hand away and stomped off.

___

Daryl and I had been talking all afternoon about the most random topics. I made him tell me the story of when he got lost in the woods again. I told him about my dad and my brothers. He still hadn't opened all the way up about Merle or his dad, but I didn't push my boundaries. People were starting to go into their tents, but we stayed by the camp fire.

"We can't find Lori," Carol said as she approached. "And the others still aren't back yet."

"She must've gone off lookin' for 'em," Daryl said, more to me than to Carol.

"What?" she asked.

"Yeah," Daryl started. "She asked us to go. I told her I was done bein' the errand boy."

"And you didn't say anything?" she asked.

"Why would we say anythin'?" I questioned. "Ain't none of our business nor our problem."

Carol started to leave, but then walked back over. "Don't do this, please. I've already lost my girl."

"Yeah, that wasn't my problem neither," Daryl spat as he got up.

Carol left and a few minutes later, Carl wandered up to our camp.

"Hey, kid," I said. Carl came over, gave me a tight hug, and started to cry. "What's wrong?"

"My mom left and my dad isn't back yet."

"They will be. I promise," I said as I squeezed his shoulders. "Your dad is tough as nails, he'll get through anything. And your mom; nothing is stopping her from getting back here to you."

Carl nodded and wiped away a falling tear.

___

Daryl and I were wandering around camp. He finally opened up to me and told me stories in detail about his dad and how he was an abusive alcoholic. He told me about how his mom died.

I noticed Carol was back and she was examining the ears that I had given back to Daryl. I nudged him and he stood behind her.

"What're you doin'?" he asked firmly.

She jumped, but tried to keep her cool. "Keepin' an eye on you," she said cautiously.

"Ain't you a peach."

"I'm not gonna let you pull away. You've earned your place," she said quietly.

"If you spent half your time mindin' your daughter's business instead of stickin' your nose in everybody else's, maybe she'd still be alive!" Daryl exploaded, which I was not expecting.

"Go ahead," Carol murmured, backing away.

"Go ahead and what?" Daryl asked. "Just go! I don't want you here!" he said harshly. "You're a real piece of work, lady." He paused and studied her face.

She was speechless.

"What're you gonna make this about my daddy?" he began again. "Man, you don't know shit." He paused for a minute. "You're afraid. You're afraid 'cause you're all alone. You got no husband, no daughter. You don't know what to do with yourself. You ain't my problem! Sophia wasn't mine! All you had to do was keep an eye on her!"

With that, Daryl stomped away, grabbing his crossbow and heading towards the woods.