Chapter 37

*WARNING: Please be advised that this chapter contains mature content and strong language.*

Chapter 37
Quinn's POV

I awoke in Daryl's arms. I pulled the covers back and swung my legs off the side of the bed. I slipped my knife through into its sheath and tucked my gun in the back of my jeans. I ran my fingers through my tangled hair and left the room.

I greeted all of the members of our prison family. Everyone was happy and it was a good vibe. I left the prison and breathed in the fresh smell of a new day. We had had thirty days without an accident or problem and it felt amazing.

"Smells good," I informed Carol.

She flipped a slab of meat over and it sizzled against the hot burners.

"It's your deer," she answered with a smile.

"Rick brought in a lot of 'em," I said as I grabbed a plate.

"Morning, Quinn," Lizzie and Mika, the sisters, greeted.

"Morning, ladies."

"I know," Carol agreed. "Daryl's just gotta deal with the love."

"Oh yeah he does," I said, glancing at him.

"I need to show you something," Carol said.

I set my plate down and followed after her. She brought me away from the crowd and over to the other side of the walls.

"It's about today," she started. "I don't know if we're gonna be able to spare a lot of people for the run."

"That place is good to go," I informed. "We're gonna move on it."

"Yeah. Thing is, we got a pretty big build-up over night."

I looked out into the fields outside of the prison fences. Packs of walkers were herding in on us.

"Dozens more towards tower three." She sighed. "It's getting as bad as last month. They don't spread out anymore."

"With more of us in here, we're drawing more of 'em in. We need to get more of those damn fence cleaners."

"Pushing against the fences again; it's manageable, but unless we get ahead of it, not for long."

I sighed. "You're right. We'll figure it out. C'mon, let's head back."

We started back towards the others. Daryl was talking to a kid named Patrick. He was looking awkward and uncomfortable. I made my way over to the grill with Carol. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked back to see Mr. Dixon.

"C'mere."

I gave Carol a goodbye and followed after him.

"I don't think you should go today," he said flatly.

"Really?" I asked sarcastically, a tone of annoyance in my voice.

"Yeah."

"I can take care of mysel—"

"Yeah, but you don't have to go."

I looked at him blankly. Where was this coming from? I always go on runs.

"I mean, you shouldn't," he corrected.

"Well, I'm not just gonna sit here on my ass all day."

"So do a little dance around the prison," he spat as he walked away. "You're stayin'."

"Whatever," I called back.

___

I tucked the gas can in the back of the car. I saw Beth and Zach talking to each other.

"Are you gonna say goodbye?" Zach called as Beth walked away.

"Nope," she replied, an amused smirk on her face.

Daryl shook his head. "It's like a damn romance novel."

I smiled at Beth's attitude and followed Daryl to his bike. He started it up, looking at me.

"Come back in one piece," I ordered.

"Mmm," he answered. "Love ya."

"I love you, too," I replied.

I smiled and stepped back. He and the others took off down to the gate. Daryl was doing pretty good considering he just lost his brother. I met Rick a few minutes after they have left.

"Goin' to check the snares," he informed. "Hold down the fort for me?"

"You got it."

___

"Nick!" Mika called. "Nick over here!"

The kids all laughed at the walkers by the fence as Carl, Patrick, and I made our way over. I looked at the crowd of walkers. One stuck out in particular. He had blood stains coming from his eyes and his mouth.

"You're naming them?" Carl asked.

"Well, one of them had a nametag so we thought all of them should," Mika reasoned.

"They had names when they were alive. They're dead now," Carl notified as he tossed the soccer ball around in his hands.

"No they're not," Lizzie spoke up. "They're just different."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Carl asked. "Okay, they don't talk, they don't think. They eat people, they kill people."

"People kill people," Lizzie shot back. "They still have names."

"Have you seen what happens?" Carl asked. "Have you seen someone die like that?"

"Yeah, I have."

"They're not people and they're not pets. Don't name them."

"You do—"

"Okay, why don't you guys go find Carol for story time," I said to the children before anymore fighting broke out.

"You coming to story time tonight?" Mika asked Patrick.

He immediately looked to Carl, turning red. "Uh, yeah."

"See ya there!"

"I go sometimes," Patrick defended. "I'm immature. You wouldn't dig it, it's for kids. I'm gonna head up there, too. I'll catch ya later, young sir."

"Yup," Carl said as the nerdy boy ran off.

Once I knew he was out of ear shot, I looked down at Carl. "I really think you should go with Patrick...keep him company."

"That's kid stuff."

"You are a kid," I joked. "C'mon, let's head up. I'll go with you."

He sighed and followed after me. Maybe story time would take my mind away from Daryl. All I hoped was that he and the others got back safe and sound.