Chapter 32

*WARNING: Please be advised that this chapter contains mature content and strong language.*

Chapter 32
Quinn's POV

"I'm goin' on a run," Rick started. "I've asked Daryl to hold down things here. I need you and Carl to come with me."

"Carl?" I asked, surprised that he was letting his son go.

"He's ready," Rick assured.

"Alright, when do we leave?"

"You've got ten minutes," he replied. "Be ready."

"You got it," I said as I headed towards my cell.

I grabbed my backpack that had some water bottles and extra bullets. I grabbed my hunting knife and tucked it into my belt. I headed out of the cell, running into Daryl's chest. I looked up to see him smirking down at me.

I smiled. "Hey."

He handed me a small gun. "Take this."

"Why?" I asked. "I have my knife and—"

"Just in case," he answered.

I slowly nodded. "Alright."

I tucked the gun in the back of my jeans. I stood up on my tiptoes and gave him a small peck. Instead of pulling back, he deepened the kiss, bringing me in closer. Finally, we broke away, our faces only being an inch apart. We spent the next few seconds staring at each other; his shaded blue eyes pouring into my brown, his lips pressed together, his sandy brown hair sticking up in all different directions.

"I better go," I said quietly.

"Be careful," he said.

"Always am," I replied before darting down the stairs.

I pushed the door open and made a beeline to the green car. I went to the passenger side, but realized Rick was occupying that seat and Carl obviously couldn't drive. I sighed and made my way over to the driver's side. I pushed the keys into the ignition.

"Ready?"

Carl nodded, a blank expression on his face. Rick kept his gaze forward. I pushed the pedal and started forward towards the gates. We got onto the main road and drove for around ten minutes before I spotted something on the road.

"Help!" the man shouted. "Hey!" He waved his arms back and forth, trying to catch our attention. "Hey, slow down!"

I sped past him and up to our next problem; a car crash. A car was rolled onto its side, a walker caught underneath it. The other cars were covered in dirt and had walkers sitting inside them, rotting away to nothing but bone.

I maneuvered through the cars. All of the sudden, the car wouldn't go. It started spinning up dirt and mud. I finally leaned off the pedal, giving up. A thud hit against my window and I flung my head around to see a walker squishing her face against it. More thuds followed after.

"Cover your ears," Rick said lowly to Carl as he unsheathed his Python and rolled the window down a smidgen.

Bang.

The echo made my ears ring, but it passed within a few minutes. We eventually got the rest of them with our knives. We sat outside of the car as Rick went through a suitcase from another vehicle.

"This'll work," he said as he folded up a skirt.

"Tell me when," I said as I got into the car.

Rick and Carl put the skirt and sticks underneath the tires to form some leverage.

"Hey!" the man from down the road yelled. "Don't leave! I'm begging you!"