Chapter 38

*WARNING: Please be advised that this chapter contains mature content and strong language.*

Chapter 38
Quinn's POV

As Carl and I approached the library where story time was held, we heard Carol reading softly. I watched as one of the older men left the room. Carol stopped reading abruptly and turned around to a box that was on the floor. I placed a hand on Carl's shoulder, holding him back.

"What is she doing?" I asked quietly.

He shrugged as he watched closely.

"Ma'am, should I take watch now?" a little boy asked, standing up.

"Yes, Luke. You do that," Carol answered.

She lifted the box from the ground and placed it in front of the kids.

"Today, we're talking about knives."

I whipped my head to Carl, seeing that he was already looking at me.

"How to use them," Carol continued, "how to be safe with them, and how they could save your life."

"Ma'am, may I be dismissed?" Patrick asked.

"What is it?" Carol asked, slightly annoyed.

"I'm not feeling very well."

"Sometimes you're gonna have to fight through it," she said. "What if you wind up out there alone? You just give up because you're feeling bad?"

"No. It's just, I don't wanna yack on somebody."

"Go," Carol dismissed.

Patrick got up and rushed out of the room.

"Okay, today we're gonna learn how to hold a knife," Carol started, "how to stab and slash, and what to aim for."

Carl tugged on my arm as he crept out of the library shelves. I followed after, only because she had already taken notice of him.

"Please, don't tell your father."

Carl shook his head and stormed out of the room. I gave Carol a stern look before jogging after him. I made it out to the corridor, but couldn't spot him. I pushed open the metal door and it creeked behind me. I made my way through the crowd outside and down the gravel drive where I spotted Rick.

"Hey," he greeted lowly.

"Everythin' alright?"

"It's Violet," he said uncertainly.

"What about her?" I asked, glancing into the pen. The pig was lying still, not moving at all.

"She hasn't moved from that position all day and now I'm not even sure she's breathing."

"Well, we can't take the chance and contaminate everyone."

___

The light from my flashlight lit up the few feet in front of me as I headed to the perch. He was laying on his cot, one elbow propping up his head.

He flung the sheets open and patted the open spot. I smiled and set my flashlight on the small table across the room. I slid off my jeans and squirmed in next to Daryl, soaking up all his body heat. My face nuzzled into the crook of his neck as he wrapped an arm around me.

"Goodnight, Daryl."

"Night," he answered as he placed a kiss on my forehead.

___