Chapter 41

*WARNING: Please be advised that this chapter contains mature content and strong language.*

Chapter 41
Quinn's POV

I fluttered open my eyes to Hershel leaning over me, smiling. "Welcome back."

"I passed out?" I asked weakly.

"You were dehydrated," he informed. "Bein' a hero takes a lot out of ya."

"You should know," I replied.

Hershel sent me that knowing smile.

"I thought you were an idiot to come in here," I said honestly. "I mean, I was sure you were gonna get sick."

"I can't tell if that's a compliment."

"I don't know what I'm saying," I said as sweat poured down my face. "I must've hit my head."

Hershel's eyes flickered with amusement.

"I don't know if I'd be here right now if you weren't so damn stupid." I laughed lightly.

Hershal chuckled. "You know what? I am going to take that as a compliment. I'm going to do my rounds. You stay here and rest."

He stood and headed out of the cell. A few minutes later, I heard a lot of commotion going on outside. I scrambled to my feet and headed out of the cell. I stood up on the upper floor and watched a walker jump onto Hershel.

A woman came over and yanked the walker off. Another man got bit simultaneously. A gunshot rang out as the walker sunk his teeth into the man's neck. I ran down the stairs as fast as I could.

"Hershel!" I called.

I heard Lizzie's faint voice as she lead a walker away from Glenn.

"Quinn," Hershel called.

I jogged towards him with adrenaline pumping through my veins. I helped him limp up the stairs.

"Go check up on Glenn."

I nodded and jogged down the hall. He was laying on the floor, choking on his own blood. I turned him over onto his side and a pool of blood came out.

"Hold in there, buddy," I calmed. "You're gonna get out of this alive." I stood, looking for a tube. "Hershel?" I called as I ran out of the cell. "Dr. S?"

"In here!" Hershel called. "Caleb didn't make it."

"I need a tube. Glenn's in trouble."

"In my cell, to the right of my cot."

"Thank you."

"Quinn, don't push yourself."

"I know."

I ran down to Hershel's cell, grabbing the tube. When I got back to the stairs, I saw Maggie.

"Hey! Glenn's upstairs," I informed. "He needs us bad."

We ran up together and Hershel followed when we got to the top. We slid into the cell to see Glenn wheezing again.

"He's turnin' blue!" Maggie exclaimed.

"Roll him over," I said.

We both pushed Glenn over onto his side.

"Clear his airway!" Hershel called. "I'll be right over." Hershel came back into the cell. "Roll him on his back."

We pulled Glenn onto his back and he started choking again, gasping for air.

"Hold his arms down."

Maggie and I each took an arm as Hershel fed the tube into Glenn's throat. He attached the plastic jug and started feeding fresh air to Glenn's lungs.

"Stay with us," Hershel cooed. "Stay with us."

Glenn's wheezing stopped and he began to breathe normally.

"You're gonna be okay," Maggie said. "We're gonna be okay."

Out of nowhere, all my running and jumping caught up with me. I heard Maggie and Hershel's voices, but they only echoed through my head. Dizziness smacked me in the face and I fell backwards.

___

I awoke to Daryl's face leaning over mine. I smiled lightly, my eyes still half closed.

"Daryl. You don't know how happy I am to see you," I whispered into his sandy hair.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

His body was suddenly hung over me. I felt weak again. That one burst of energy to help was fun, except now I felt helpless. I breathed in his familiar musky scent. My eyes felt heavy again and I closed them. Voices proceeded through my brain as a blur, but I listened to his in particular.

"I love you," he said into my neck.

"I love you, too, Dixon."

___

I awoke to the absence of warmth beside me; I was alone on the cot, but I heard shuffling from beside me.

"Good morning," Hershel greeted.

I cleared my throat. "Morning. How's Glenn doin'?"

"He's good; breathin' on his own. Seems stable enough for me to take a break."

I sighed. "You deserve one. Thank you."

"For what?" Hershel asked, as he handed me a cup of tea.

I squirmed to a sitting position before taking it. "For helping me, for helping everyone."

"I couldn't have done it without your help either."

I smiled and took a long sip of the transparent red tea.

"I'm going to go get some fresh air. You stay here and rest, maybe go give Glenn a visit."

I gave Hershel one last smile before he disappeared down the hall. I laid my head against the wall before taking another sip of the tea. I noticed two white pills on the table.

"Take them."

I looked up to see Maggie leaning in the doorway.

"What are they?"

"They're the meds Daryl's group got last night."

I lifted the pills and popped them into my mouth, washing them down with the rest of the tea.

"Daddy said to try to get you to walk around."

"Absolutely," I said, swinging my legs off the side of the bed.

I stood slowly, a little dizzy at first. I made my way over to her, holding my head.

"The pills'll make you drowsy," she said, placing a hand on my back to help support me, "but they'll help."

I nodded and we headed down the corridor to find Glenn.

I smiled as I came into the cell. "How ya feelin'?"

He shrugged. "You?"

"Better than yesterday and that's good enough for me."