Chapter 43

*WARNING: Please be advised that this chapter contains mature content and strong language.*

Chapter 43
Daryl's POV

Explosions were going off in every damn direction. Chaos had offically broken out. It was like the first outbreak all over again. I just hoped she was okay, that she'd meet me like we planned. I unclipped the grenade that I had and shoved it down the barrel of the army tank.

"Oh shit! Grenade!" the man in the tank yelled as he climbed out just in time before the tank set on fire.

He wouldn't get out of this alive, though. I'd make sure of that. I held up my crossbow and released an arrow into his chest, watching as he fell to the ground.

"The bus is gone!"

I turned around to see Beth looking at me, eyes wide.

"Don't matter," I said as I grabbed her arm. "We gotta go."

We ran out of the gates, hiding from more gunfire.

___

When we finally reached the south side of the prison, Quinn wasn't there. My heart stopped beating as it plummeted to the bottom of my chest.

"We gotta go!" Beth said as she looked at the hungry walkers heading towards us.

I stared out into the prison yard, not seeing that familiar brown hair. I felt Beth grab my arm and force me away. First my brother and now my girl? Shit ain't right. I kept reminding myself that she's smart, she'll get out of there in one piece and I'll find her.

We ran as fast as we could through the woods, jumping over roots and rocks. The distant growls echoed behind us, but we keep running. Beth aimed her gun, but nothing followed. I held up my bow and fired an arrow before hitting another with the butt of my bow.

"C'mon, let's go," I said coldly.

We ran out to the edge of the woods and into the middle of a field before dropping down onto the dead grass. My chest rose and fell with each breath I took.

___

We sat around a small fire. My knees were tucked up to my chest as I kept my gaze towards the ground.

"We should do somethin'," Beth said, breaking the silence.

I felt her look up at me, but I kept my eyes down at the fire in front of me. I didn't want to do anything but find Quinn.

"We should do somethin'," she repeated more firmly.

I finally flickered my gaze up to meet her blue eyes.

"We aren't the only survivors," she said quietly. "We can't be. Rick, Michonne...they could be out there. Maggie and Glenn could of made it out of A Block. Quinn, she could be out there, too."

I tensed at the sound of her name.

"They could," she said loudly as I averted my gaze back to the flames. "You're a tracker. C'mon, sun'll be up soon. If we head out now we can—" I could feel her eyes burning into my brain. "Fine. If you won't track, I will."

Beth stomped over and yanked her knife from the ground before storming off into the woods. I stood up and kicked out the fire before grabbing my crossbow and following her out.

___

The sun had rose completely and we were still out walking around. I squatted down and brushed off some dirt with my hand. I blew the leaves away and I felt her lean over. A shoe print revealed itself.

"Could be Luke's," she suggested, "or Molly's. Whoever they are, means they're alive."

"Nah, means they were alive four or five hours ago," I said as I looked off to the edge of the woods, thinking of Quinn again.

"They're alive," she spat as she stomped off.

I watched her for a second before standing up and following her.

___

We walked for a few more minutes before we reached some bushes. I stopped as something caught my eye.

"They picked up the pace right here," I said, pointing to squashed grapes. "Got out in a hurry. Things went bad."

"Wouldn't kill ya to have a little faith," she said as she turned back around.

"Faith? That ain't done shit for us," I muttered. "Sure as hell didn't do nothin' for your father."

I turned my head to see Beth staring at me. She pursed her lips and turned back around before picking some berries off of the bushes.

"They'll be hungry when we find them."

I sighed and pulled a handkerchief out of my pocket, handing it to her. She took it and placed them inside. I started off through the field, Beth trailing after me. We came out into a clearing, walkers lying all over the place. I examined a leaf with blood on it, unsure.

"What is it?" she asked.

"That ain't walker blood," I said.

"Trail keeps goin'," she said, brushing past me. "They fought 'em off."

"Nah...walker tracks goin' all up and down here; least a dozen of 'em," I said as I examined the tracks.

A branch snapped and I heard Beth unsheath her knife. I kept a lookout on the other side. All of the sudden, a growl and Beth's scream filled the quietness. I held up my bow, but they were moving too fast. I dropped it and unsheathed my knife, yanking it off of her and plunging the blade into its skull.

"C'mon," I said lowly as I grabbed my crossbow and headed off again.

___

We came out of the woods to see two geeks eating. I took in a deep breath, knowing that Beth was gonna be emotional about it. I fired an arrow into both of their skulls, yanking them out afterwards. I started to walk away until I heard Beth's cries fill the silence. I turned around to keep walking, but she kept crying.

___

There we sat around the fire again. She ripped a page out of her journal, crumpled it up, and tossed it onto the flames.