in my thoughts and in my words

Tay was awoken by a very familiar breakfast smell. He closes his eyes once again to savor the scent that seems to be penetrating his room. He remembers his mom's home cooking.

Ma? he whispers as he hears familiar voices. He came out of his room and rushed to the kitchen.

Ma!! he shouts with delight at the sight of his mother. Mama! I can't believe you're now here. He shoved himself to get himself wrapped in his mother's embrace.

Ahh my sweet boy! I'm so happy to see you, Tay's mother envelopes him in a tight hug while patting his head like a little boy.

Hey! Hey! I am also here. Aren't you giving me a welcome greeting and hug too? Muk grins.

Tay laughs and approaches her seat and gives her a hug, of course I am happy to see you too.

Muk got an early approved leave so we thought it would be a great idea to come earlier than scheduled, his mom explains. Plus, that would mean more time with you son. Tay goes back to his mother and gives her another big hug.

Off and Gun were at the breakfast table, feeding each other like they are in a different world.

Aaww you two! Tay protests, will you stop flirting in front of my family?

Aww Peng! This isn't flirting. It's our nature, right?

Oh, come on Tay, it's not like it is our first time to see these lovebirds acting such, Muk replies.

Tay's mom smiles. Don't worry about it Tay. They're actually lovely to watch. Come now, eat your breakfast. I am pretty sure you missed this cooking.

Tay takes the seat and starts to appear confused as to what food he will dig in first. He then takes a spoonful of bagoong rice (fried rice with shrimp paste) and fried dried pusit (squid). Ahh I really miss this bagoong rice. New should taste this because he doesn't believe me when I said pineapples can go with this type of rice. On the other hand, I'm glad that he knows the technique to cook a perfectly fried dried pusit. If one doesn't know this technique, there's a chance the pusit will always taste burnt. And I am also perfectly sure that he will drool over these tsokolate/tablea (ground-up cacao beans) drink. Tay, starts to eat and blabber at the same time. He raised his head and noticed that everyone was quietly watching him with puppy and amused eyes.

Why are you all so quiet? Tay asks wondering? Did I say anything wrong?

Everyone burst out laughing. Nothing wrong PTay, Gun giggles. It's just that you talked about New for like two minutes non-stop.

Tay's eyes widen as he starts to realize what he just did. He can feel his ears burning red. I did, didn't I? He responded shyly and took a spoonful of rice to his big mouth.

Muk gave out a big chuckle and the rest started to join in again. Which brings me to say, I am excited to meet New later for dinner. Mama will be cooking your favorite dishes.

Oh! Dinner later? Uhmm, I don't think he is free tonight. I think it would be a good idea that you just rest tonight. We can meet him some other day. Tay clears his throat.

Nah! New's coming over later. He canceled his appointment. And Tita insisted that she will cook tonight.

Aww Peng! You called him already without telling me?

Aww! Peng, last time I checked, I am also a friend of New. So, I can call him anytime, can't I? Unless, you are the husband who approves the schedules? Off teases Tay with an animated grin.

Tay turns red once again, fine, whatever.

Great! It's meet the fam time tonight. I am quite excited for dessert too, Gun beams.

Fine, whatever! Tay gulps a glass of water like it's a hot summer time.