hold the sun in and don't it let go

In the next couple of days, Tay spent most of his time with his mom and sister: visiting the usual places in Baguio, checking the famous ukay-ukay (thrift) shops for good finds, and visiting museums. New would always meet them up after work and join them for dinner. To say that Tay is having a really wonderful time will be an understatement.

I'll be driving Tita and PMuk tomorrow morning to the bus station, New expresses. I already filed for a morning leave.

Aww, that's such a sweet gesture, New, Muk replies. I would love you to send us off.

Tay was surprised at the offer. You need not take your leave. Off can drive for us.

Aww Te, but I really want to do it. Besides, we can still have breakfast tomorrow. It will be long before I can see them again. Please Tita, can I drive you to the station tomorrow. Te is being unreasonable again. He grins at Tay.

Tay's mom gave a soft laugh. That will be very thoughtful of you, New. I would love to spend a little more time with you together, if I may say that. She gives New a pat on the head.

Oke, as you wish then, Tay obliged with a smile. Deep down, something in him also wants New to be around when he sends off the two important ladies in his life.

Great! It's decided then. I will pick you all up tomorrow around six o'clock then we will have breakfast in this wonderful place. Sounds good?

Is this another one of your #TayNewFavorites? Muk teasingly gestures the hashtag sign.

Yes, Tay replies in a sudden snap. You should try their pancakes and sausages.

Yes PMuk, and you should try their breakfast smoothies too. They have this healthy selection that they mix with cacao nibs and chia seeds. Ahhh, they're sooo good, New adds. Muk nods with a giggle. I still cannot find the right adjective to describe a situation when both of you are in full agreement about something. But it's no doubt a cute scene.

Tay and New looked at each other and later found themselves laughing as well.

---

Tay was helping his mother pack. It has been a wonderful week for him. He knows that he really misses his mom a lot. The feeling of parting is somehow making him sad again.

Hey son, what's the sad face? His mother asks.

Hmm, it's the same feeling I have everytime you leave from your visit, or everytime I leave when I visit you. We've had this scene so many times, but it's one thing I will never master. You know I miss you everyday Ma. Tay continues to pack, lowering his head as he feels his eyes getting teary.

Uhmmm, my little boy has not changed a bit. You can still be a cry baby at times huh? She sits beside Tay and gives him a side hug. I am always a call away, right? Besides, Christmas is just a month away. We will be seeing each other very soon again.

I know, it's just really different when you're here with me. Everything just makes me calm down. Tay exhales and lets his shoulders sag.

You've become a lot calmer than you think Tay. I feel a certain peace inside you and I sure can see the sunshine in you again. So, whatever is the reason for that sunshine, I hope you keep it with you and don't let go.

Tay looks at his mom as if wondering about what she just said.

She sighs. You have been through a lot these past years and we all know that it's not been easy for you. Life has a way of taking out some lights in our lives just to also bring it back a lot brighter one day. I am honestly happy at the person I am seeing now, son. Like I said, whatever, or whoever is the reason for this change, hold on to it.

Ma... it's just not... i just don't know... is it really okay? I mean, New... are you... it's different... Tay cannot seem to find the right words to say his thoughts.

She cups Tay's face with her hands and meets his eyes. That's why you keep pulling yourself back at some points. You, of all people, know my heart, son. Much as I know yours. What I'm trying to say is that, your happiness is mine as well. Don't ever forget that. She gives Tay a kiss on the forehead.

Tay leans forward and hugs his mom tightly while he makes some sniffs.

All will be well, son.

They need not talk about it further. The hug that Tay received from his mom was enough to make him sleep well that night.