love follows you around

Tay quickly packs his travel bag and finds himself on a bus going to Manila. As he reached the city, he went straight to the airport and booked a ticket to Batanes. He was lucky to make it to the last scheduled flight for the day. It was already four in the afternoon. While waiting for boarding, he took out his phone and sent New a message.

The flight was about an hour and a half. In no time, he was at the doorstep of what will be his escape place for the next (he doesn't know how long) days.

Tay! Tay? Grandma's surprised and confused reaction upon seeing Tay on her doorstep.

Lola! (Filipino term for Grandmother) Surprise!

Surprise?! You're here?! What kind of bad wind brings you here? Grandma meets him with furrowed brows.

Nah!! I've missed you so I'm paying you a surprise visit, Tay explains very quickly. Lola, I'm really tired but I'm not really hungry. I'll eat tomorrow and just hit the sack now. I'll go find my way in. Goodnight Lola. I'm happy to see you. He gave his grandmother a tight hug and then proceeded to sleep. He did not even bother to let his grandmother speak. Sleep, as it has always been, was one of Tay's coping mechanisms when strong emotions and thoughts crawl up.

----

Tay woke up earlier than usual. He can hear his stomach growling. He hasn't eaten anything since he left Baguio. He hurriedly went to the kitchen and saw that breakfast was almost ready.

Oh, you're up early, Grandma greets him.

Good morning Lola, can you hear my stomach rumbling? He is so hungry! Tay sweetly replies as he starts digging in.

Slow down or you'll choke yourself, Grandma warns him. Here, enjoy your morning smoothies. I learned a new recipe online, I added cocoa nibs and chia seeds. I had to even ask your sister to send me those nibs and seeds a month ago. You know that online application, Lazada.

Tay nearly choked when he heard Lazada and smoothies with cocoa nibs and chia seeds. It clearly reminded him of the bedsheets and yesterday's breakfast... and obviously, of New.

Choking? What? Reminds you of something? Or someone maybe? Grandma's question was between teasing and investigating.

Oh, nothing. Something just got caught up in my throat. Tay took a quick drink of the smoothie. It was cold but weirdly made him feel warm inside.

So, are you now telling me why all of a sudden, without any heads up, you're here?

What? I told you already. I said I miss you so I want to visit you. Besides, I need a break. Tay, answers without looking.

Mmmm... your mom called last night.

Ohh... he replies.

Gun also called last night.

Ohh... okay, Tay nods.

And the swim varsity boys also called VERY early today. I wasn't even up for bed yet.

Mmmm... okay.

They were all asking if you're here!!!

I'm sure they know I'm here, Tay replies with a lopsided smile.

Yeah, I don't need to tell them you're here because they know you too well to not know. But can you now tell me why exactly you are here? Don't make this a guessing game.

Like I said, I just miss you.

Okay, that's it. Put down that spoon and fork, lift those butt up, and face the wall, Grandma commands him firmly.

Lola! You're kidding right?

Do I look like an old lady kidding?

Tay was taken aback, his eyes widened.

Go on! Get up and face the wall then come back when you're ready to talk.

Lola! I'm too old for that punishment. And can you at least make me finish my breakfast? Tay bargains.

No hard heads are too old for me Tawan Vihokratana. Or would you rather squat than face the wall. I'll give you a choice.

Tay need not answer. He stands up to face the wall. It's a better option than the squats, he imagines.

Wait, here take your smoothies. I'd like you to enjoy the nibs and seeds. Well, it's a good offer right?

Tay didn't quite know how to react, "hey universe, are you kidding me? Like seriously?" goes his thought bubble.