Christmas Special

Author's Note: Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! I am finally back with another chapter, a very special one to celebrate the winter season. I hope you enjoy!

I glance at the clock. Two pm. I return to my work of cleaning the clutter on the kitchen table. I glance at the clock again. Two ten. I sweep the floor, though it is already impeccable. Two thirty.

My phone buzzes and before I even read the text I scream, "Clay's plane just landed! I'm leaving now!" I'm out the door before my parents can even reply.

I drive with a huge grin on my face. I quickly texted him back that I was coming to pick him up from the airport. As I drive, I realize how different Florida must be right now. The sky here is not the most ideal shade of gray.

Ten minutes later, I am walking into the bustling airport, full of people traveling this holiday season. I parked my car alongside the road so I don't have much time. I've always loved airports for some reason. They are so big and filled with unlimited possibilities.

I scan the overwhelmingly large crowd. My face suddenly lights up when I spot a head above all the others. Clay waves at me and starts shouldering past other people, still in his Florida t-shirt, I notice and giggle behind my hand. "Y/N!" he says and pulls me into a one armed hug.

"Clay!" I exclaim with so much excitement that I feel like I might burst. "You didn't need your smile mask?"

"Nope, no one recognized me. That's one of the perks of never doing a face reveal."

We walk together out of the airport. The snow has just begun to fall.

I don't think I've ever specified where Y/N lives. Let's just assume it's somewhere in the northern region of the United States.

I wake up early in the morning, just from the excitement of all the things to come today. Not even a second passes before I am out of my bed and pulling back the window curtain. I gasp slash squeal in delight as I gaze out at the world transformed in just one night. White, dazzling snow covers all the surfaces. Still more snow is fluttering down from the sky. The road has not been plowed or shoveled or salted yet so it is smooth and the same color for as far as I can see, and it's too early for the neighbors to start on their own driveways. Snow covers the roofs of all the houses like slanting blankets, with icicles jutting out the bottom, and the trees carry their own small loads on their thin branches. "Merry Christmas world," I whisper. It's a winter wonderland.

After breakfast, Clay and I immediately rush outside with my sled in tow. One is never too old to play in the snow. We shout with joy, sprint for two seconds, before flinging ourselves into the soft, thick blanket. Clay tries making a snow angel and marvels at the solid, crystalized water. It's funny seeing him in all his winter layers. He had to borrow my dad's coat because Clay had never actually needed one in Florida.

Clay scoops up a handful of snow and starts inspecting it. "I can't even feel the cold through this glove," he says.

"Yeah, you usually end up overheating rather than actually feeling cold," I reply. He looks up and suddenly hurls the ball of snow. I barely manage to block it with my arms, though as it breaks apart most of it still smashes into my face. We stare at each other for a moment, me in total shock. Then I scoop up my own snow and throw it at him. Thus the greatest snow ball fight began.

I am ready. I've done this my whole life. I chase after Clay with my hard packed snow. He is already wheezing and out of breath. "No! I'm a Minecraft Youtuber, I'm not supposed to be doing sports!" he shouts as I close in on him. I will just say, it was a decisive victory.

After that we were exhausted. We just lay down on the ground and watched as the snowflakes kept falling from the endless sky. It was quite peaceful. Then came the sledding.

12/25/2020

Please vote! I'll probably write a part two for this chapter where they go sledding or maybe skiing. Or they might build a snowman!

Roadtrip

Foot on the brake at the light I don't notice
I sit and wait until the next song
Twenty hours in an old van
Up the east coast through the cold wind
Drove twenty hours by the ocean
Up the east coast, what a road trip
Now that interstate is paved with memories
Of a past life I lived when I was eighteen
And every winter I think back to what we used to be
In that past life we lived at eighteen

I just wanted to say this chapter came out two months before Dream's song was released ;)